share rss forum feed

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1

[WIN8] After 8.1 Update BBR Issue

Forum "New Topic" button not working with IE 11.

Had to resort to other browser to post this here in the Microsoft forum.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

Perhaps better posted in the Site Bugs forum?

Torrid Zone

join:2009-06-13
Carmel, NY
reply to NOYB

I'm having the same issue too. I made a post also in the Microsoft forum. I'm not sure if it's only this site because my medical provider site is doing the same thing. It works OK with Chrome but not IE.

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18
reply to NOYB

Temporary workaround:

Hit F12 to open the Developer Tools > click the Emulation tab and select "Internet Explorer 10" as the "User agent string"

I'll move this thread to the Need Site Help forum

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to NOYB

justin See Profile's favorite browser he loves to hate. I like version 10 very much and looking forward to IE11 for Windows 7. However I'm sure it's a headache when one thing works correctly in all other browsers but fails with Trident. I've experienced this quite a few times here.
--
"Graffiti Wall" Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to NOYB

"New Topic" works here with IE11, maybe Justin fixed it?

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:3
reply to Dustyn

Aw, who needs pictures anyway? »lynx.browser.org/
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
reply to auggy

Thanks. Just opening the dev tools (F12) does the trick. No need to change the user agent string.

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18

You're welcome. Thanks for the follow-up.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
reply to bluepoint

"New Topic" button still not working here for me. Have to open dev tools for it to work.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to NOYB

So can someone bright work out why?

why would opening dev tools fix it.

"New Topic" is just a button, in a vanilla form of one element, not anything complicated. No Ajax, no javascript, nothing crazy.

You click it and nothing happens? doesn't animate and there is no response from the browser?

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

The little icon on the tab spins. And that's it. Nothing else happens. It just sits there and spins.

Yes, odd that it works if dev tools is open. Tried turning on compatibility mode for dslreports.com, but that had no effect.

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

if you can find the console, is there any interesting line emitted when you click the new topic button? and if you can find the network tab of the console, does it appear to show that the request is at least started?

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

1 recommendation

reply to NOYB

I think I fixed it, apparently IE11 does not like to POST a form that has no fields, changed it to GET and it seems to be ok.

I don't like what IE11 is doing with the top bar, it appears to be changing the size of the colored cells in weird ways.

Also the browser now hides its identity: the user-agent has removed MSIE and now pretends to be Gecko! WTH, Microsoft. That isn't a very nice thing to do. It is trying to run away from the IE specific hacks out there by pretending to be a browser that actually works.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Yup. It's working now. Thanks Justin.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to justin

said by justin:

I think I fixed it, apparently IE11 does not like to POST a form that has no fields, changed it to GET and it seems to be ok.

But why is it working for me before? Is there a specific forum that "New Topic" doesn't work? Or is it a general problem to all forums?

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

I don't know i just loaded the ie11 virtual machine, verified that pressing new topic caused the spinning indicator but nothing else then fiddled around with the form until ie11 didn't do that.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to justin

Well it does identify itself as trident, I'm not sure if that's new at the moment, but the coding tricks for each version of IE seem to be quite annoying. The like gecko comment in the user agent reminds me of what linux browsers did a while back, but in the end it seems everyone just wanted to be mozilla compatible

I can only guess that they did that so sites might actually offer them webgl content, and not summarily reject them. I do have to say their support of webgl is poor at this stage however in comparison.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 edit

Here's the official explanation for why IE 11 identifies as like Gecko:

"By default, Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 8.1 sends the following User-Agent string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko

This string is deliberately designed to cause most UA-string sniffing logic to interpret it either Gecko or WebKit. This design choice was a careful one-the IE team tested many UA string variants to find out which would cause the majority of sites to "just work" for IE11 users."

»blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/arc···kit.aspx

(What I don't like is that IE10 identifies the browser as being Dell OEM -MDDCJS)
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by Mele20:

(What I don't like is that IE10 identifies the browser as being Dell OEM -MDDCJS)

I suspect it only does so on Dell computers.

On my HP AIO TouchSmart, IE10 gives:

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; Trident/6.0; Touch)

--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Well, yeah, it only uses the Dell OEM code on Dell computers, but there is a code for each OEM on IE 10. There are several codes for HP computers but yours is not there, but yours is identified as "touch".

»www.whatismybrowser.com/develope···ragments

With Proxo disabled, IE 10 on windows 8 shows:

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; Trident/6.0; MDDCJS)

With Proxo enabled:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US)

So,most of the time my browsers identify as Windows 7 (Microsoft support is always telling me I am on the wrong support page because I am on Windows 8 but the browsers indicate Windows 7).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by Mele20:

yours is not there, but yours is identified as "touch".

Which is logical -- it's a touch screen, something worth knowing about.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬