uniqs
share rss forum feed

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[Staff] Real quick career question...

So I have been offered a gig at a start up. Bit of a pay increase. its a 12 K increase.. but One of the workers there pulled me aside and gave me an honest view of what to expect walking in to this start up.

the worker had stated quite seriously that the company is hurting people wise and is at the point where they will probably be losing half the IT staff within the next 6 months do to a boss that is... well ... racist. The sentiment was sort of echoed by the somber feeling as I was chatting with some other folks there. Of course the owner was trying to make it all cheery, which I guess is because he is either isolated from the guy or possibly just doesn't care because they are growing.

My question, do you think its worth it to take the cash and deal with it, or just pass it over. Need a sane IT view at this.

Im sort of conflicted here because it is a cool product and cool technology.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3
Serious question, are you of the race that this particular boss, assuming your potential boss, favors?
Would you be comfortable addressing this issue with your potential employer prior to employment?

OvrQualified
Slightly Ahead Of Time
Premium
join:2002-01-27
Winter Park, FL
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by exocet_cm:

Serious question, are you of the race that this particular boss, assuming your potential boss, favors?

Important question; equally important question: is he racist or just plain intolerant?
--
The enemy of my enemy is my WHAT?!

BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to exocet_cm
I am of the race they prefer.

I am completely uncomfortable dealing with it. but the pay bump is nice and the added benefits witht he 401k make it a real tough decision.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to OvrQualified
Id say more racist then intolerant.

One of the current admins is of a particular race and if it wasn't for a medical issue they would have left already for another gig.
--

OvrQualified
Slightly Ahead Of Time
Premium
join:2002-01-27
Winter Park, FL
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to BosstonesOwn
said by BosstonesOwn:

I am of the race they prefer.

I am completely uncomfortable dealing with it.

I'm a consultant, so things are a little different in terms of relationships with clients/superiors, but listen to your gut. This sounds like the kind of client I would say "I'm sorry, I'm not the right consultant for you" to.
--
The enemy of my enemy is my WHAT?!

Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium
join:2005-05-02
us
reply to BosstonesOwn
That racist trait may be accompanied by other traits that you may find distasteful in the future. Remember it's not always smart to jump ship to another opportunity for $$$
--
Think Ahead. Learn More. Solve Now!

BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to OvrQualified
yeap I used to do consulting work as well and this guy didnt rub me the right way off the bat. He did remind me of that type almost immediately.
--

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
reply to Modus
Not only that, but startups can be hit or miss as it is. That company could have 6 months left to live for all you know.

BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
reply to Modus
No doubt

BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Wily_One
I think that is the idea of pulling me in, to help right the ship... something im all to used to... but I definitely don't want to do it with racists hehe.
--

BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Wily_One
although they are growing thier customers I feel mismanagement might be why thier product is suffering, as well as the mismanagement of the infrastructure.
--

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Well if you go for it, just wear this hat and you'll be all set:

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter
Thats a little assumptive on your part, Not only the confederate type could be racist. He could be indian seeking other indians etc...

OP if it will look good on your resume and the money is a big help i say go for it, Youll always be involved with personalities at workplaces you dont agree with, and if your not as hands on as the others than thats a good thing. Also if the other employees notice his behavior its only a matter of time until his boss notices these traits also (especially since many lawsuits could be had with the behavior). Good luck in your choice.

Also if mismanagement is an issue you might be able to get the place back on track and end up being the superstar bypassing the distasteful guy completely.

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by slckusr:

Thats a little assumptive on your part, Not only the confederate type could be racist.

Lighten up, Francis. It was tongue-in-cheek. See the little winky face?

BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to slckusr
its about pride not prejudice

Not really a career booster I have enough of those in my cap, Ive turned around 3 companies already, I sort of would like to get rid of him , but I don't wanna deal with it at the moment. I don't know if it's smart to do it yet.
--

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to BosstonesOwn
I would never consider this job for a second.

The only possible exception would be if I were the same type of (scumbag) racist he is... then I still wouldn't take it because I am a scumbag racist and don't deserve a job.

The fact that you have to ask the question is proof this one is not for you.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to BosstonesOwn
"Pay raise going to a startup" seems unusual to me, usually the deal is pay parity or worse, plus stock options that may or may not be worth anything some day. But I'm in software development, not IT. Are you underpaid where you are now?

You can likely expect to work crazy long hours at a startup. Make sure you're ok with that. It's a fact of life.

Now, as to the 'racist' boss. On the facts as presented to us, you don't know for sure whether you have a bad future boss or a disgruntled employee on his way out and doing a little sabotage. I'd certainly consider that a serious warning sign, but perhaps the 'sombre' atmosphere should be more of an indication of what it's going to be like. Is there any way you can ask around for more background? For example, do you have friends who know anything about this company? (Maybe people who have also interviewed there). What's your ex-colleague network like?

(Is this racist boss the CEO or someone in middle management?)

Here's the vital question: if this job collapses either under its own weight or because you absolutely hate it, how hard will it be for you to find a new job equal or better (measured in money or happiness, whichever you prefer) to the one you have right now? In other words, can you find a lifeboat if you need one?

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
Starting at the top of this thread I was summarizing my questions and you've stated them all here.

I'd like to add to the 'racist' bit that if a person hasn't actually seen racist behaviours then they shouldn't be judging until they experience it themselves. These days, at least in Canada, various groups exaggerate 'racism' to the nth degree and blow it up to something that it originally wasn't or sometimes a person really is ethnically intolerant but your taking or passing on a job will have no effect on that person's views. It's how you feel about those views when you personally experience them is what should matter most on that topic and until you do experience them, don't make an issue up where one doesn't exist and if it does eventually become apparent - deal with it then.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric

4 recommendations

reply to BosstonesOwn
I have turned down job offers with a 20% pay increase in the past. Culture is a big deal to me. I have to work in that culture, and if I am uncomfortable with it, then it is not worth the extra money. IT work is fun to me, and I would rather work in a culture that is positive.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

HeyYall

@sbcglobal.net
reply to BosstonesOwn
Y'all might wanna ask your prospective boss how that racist attitude is working for Paula Deen.

Seriously though, racism is too ignorant for me so I'd pass on this one.

BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to dave
It is a pay raise, the owner has a crap ton of money from being a venture capitalist, and is looking to make more... I am not poorly paid where I am, I am actually above the bands and make more then my IT director. Problem is fortune 100 type atmosphere where when I need parts asap, there is to much paperwork to let me keep my environment up. There are not a lot of us there and its painful at times.

I've been at a handful of start ups. Im used to it, and Im ok with that, me and 9 to 5 never agreed anyway. hell as it is now Im in there at 7 and leaving at 4 just to go home and work till 10 to 11.

About the boss I have been told multiple times, by 3 different people that the manager is pretty bad. Makes life miserable and micro manages everything and every one. Im all about people and environment also, don't care about much else.

Tough to find a job like I have now, but it's easy to find better paying less hours. If that makes any sense.
--

BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
reply to Nightfall
Same here, I hate down attitudes, every where in a company.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to BosstonesOwn
Sounds like you've convinced yourself?

If the atmosphere isn't right over there, little else matters.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to BosstonesOwn
First off, money isn't everything.

That said, are you willing to deal with a bunch of new people, possibly before a knowledge transfer takes place.

The issue with the boss needs to be handled by HR, the sooner the better. If it isn't handled the company may not be around that long.

If you can live with the boss situation and think you will enjoy the position, go for it.

I think Nightfall See Profile hit the nail on the head, it is all about culture. Is the culture of the company what you're looking for?

The WeaseL
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota
reply to BosstonesOwn
Pass.

DadeMurphy
Premium
join:2002-07-25
Danvers, MA
reply to BosstonesOwn
said by BosstonesOwn:

I am actually above the bands and make more then my IT director. Problem is fortune 100 type atmosphere where when I need parts asap, there is to much paperwork to let me keep my environment up. There are not a lot of us there and its painful at times.

Sounds like IBM... I left a similar situation for a "35 year old startup" it was the right move for me but I didn't have the problem of a racist as my potential new boss.

To me environment is everything, I wouldn't have left my old job that was lacking in some aspects of the environment I was looking for just to go to another job that was lacking in different aspects of the environment I want. Just my take though.
--
Most people don't think clearly when they're on fire.

BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
reply to dave
That I have, talking with a friend at a start up at the moment about being there