Search similar:

uniqs

dabonz7
join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

dabonz7

[Internet] What Router Recommendation

Hi Peeps,

Listen I have my GF has a Motorola Modem from Rogers and has a D-Link but it gets dis-connected at itmes like tonight for example went offline 4 times so i have to always go back upstairs and reboot the router ...

So what Router do you think should be good ???

regards
Dabonz

mk1_416
@rogers.com

mk1_416

Anon

[Internet] Re: What Router Recommendation

Before you buy a new router make sure that it is not a Rogers' fault. Have had the same issue the last 4 weeks.

Disconnect the router and connect your modem directly to your computer. If the disconnects keep happening it is a DHCP issue with rogers.

dabonz7
join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

dabonz7

Well this has been going on for awhile sometimes its ok for a few days and then like tonight I had to reboot the Modem and Router like 5 times in the last 2 hours.Called rogers tech support and they told me the modem is ok no lost packets when pinging.

I just think its the D-link router I have tried different channels on the router and nothing..if it's a DHCP problem what can I do to fix this problem

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to dabonz7

MVM

to dabonz7
Find out how many other Wireless Routers/Access Points are competing in your immediate vicinity ... report back your findings then ask for a suggestion than may be effective for your situation. You can get a software tool called inSSIDER that will identify all the wireless competition in your immediate area.

mk1_416
@rogers.com

mk1_416 to dabonz7

Anon

to dabonz7
Rogers can ping your modem when ever they want as long as they have a signal going to it. The techs are usually clueless and some didn't even know it was possible for a customer to lookup modem stats from their end. When I pointed out that DHCP was being refused from their end I only heard crickets until I got transfered to another tech.

Try the modem only then proceed to the next steps and try what mozred suggested.

Another thing to check is;

Does your router have WPS and is it turned on?

If so disable it and set all of your wifi settings manually. Check your router settings panel and make sure that only the computers in your household are connecting.

I've had some tools(neighbor's kid) get into my router after a reset and they kept messing with the settings trying to get a stronger signal to steal. Each time they reset it and put their MAC as the only one allowed to access the router. This is what you need to do, set the filter so your MACs are the only ones allowed to connect.

Stewy6
Premium Member
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6

Premium Member

said by mk1_416 :

Rogers can ping your modem when ever they want as long as they have a signal going to it. The techs are usually clueless and some didn't even know it was possible for a customer to lookup modem stats from their end. When I pointed out that DHCP was being refused from their end I only heard crickets until I got transfered to another tech.

Yeap well said, I go further and say to put your gateway in bridge mode and then into your own router. Using the telecoms router as your main gateway is very unsecured and is putting your network at risk.