uniqs
share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

Brake maintenance?

I brought my 2012 Subary Legacy in for an oil change and front and rear differential fluid change today to the stealership. 35k miles. They told me "your brakes are dry, we offer a service for that" and I said, "my brake pads and rotors are supposed to be dry" and they said, "no, I mean the sliding mechanisms and everything else in there". I asked how much and they said they'd lube and grease everything for $100.

1. Do I need this?
2. What exactly needs to be "wetted"?
3. What should this service cost, if needed?
4. Will there be any performance increases or added longevity of my braking system?
5. If I get new pads (just pads) in the future, won't they have to do that anyway?

I'd rather put $100 towards new pads if #5 above is correct. Or maybe this whole thread is lol since they call them stealerships for a reason. This dealership seems somewhat honest though. They get higher ratings too on reviews on Google, etc.

They said my pads and rotors are still great. I drive 90% highway miles, I'd expect them to be.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM
kudos:1
1) Depends. If nobody has ever greased the brake components during a brake job or as preventative maintenance then you might.
2) The slide bolts / pins that hold the brake caliper on.
3) If you do it yourself, less than $5 for some grease.
4) Performance increase? Nothing noticeable.
Added longevity? Possibly.
5) A good mechanic will lubricate all the parts that require it.

The biggest reason you want to make sure that the brake caliper moves freely is to ensure that you have equal wear on both brake pads. If the caliper can't move freely then you end up wearing one pad more than the other.
--
I'll be stretching out the rhyme like gravity stretches time.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to fartness
Removed reply.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fartness
Just like ironweasel said. If they do not move freely one side of the pad will wear out faster then then the other. It depends on when you are getting new pads in the future. If I am was going to replace them in couple months then it could wait but any longer then it needs to be now.
--
Caddy

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness
How often should this be done? What is a reasonable price to have a shop do it?

RipTides

join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA
I do mine every time I change brakes which is done whenever the manual suggests combined with driving habits. Basically about 40k miles give or take. I try to get to them before they wear down to the squealer. And I employ a good silicone lubricant made specifically for hi-temp use. And IMO they never go "dry" the old stuff just gets gummy and dirty eventually.

As for shop prices, no idea, my only reference is local flyers that advertise a full brake service for $xxx.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to fartness
said by fartness:

Only during regular brake pad/shoe replacement.

Very unusual to perform this service otherwise, but I commend the shop on its "creativity" to come up with such an offer...

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
said by mattmag:

said by fartness:

Only during regular brake pad/shoe replacement.

Very unusual to perform this service otherwise, but I commend the shop on its "creativity" to come up with such an offer...

I agree 100%
--
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.
Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
reply to fartness
There is benefit to doing a brake service. In the salt belt, the rust can seize the pads in the brackets that hold them. It seems the rears on 4 wheel discs are especially vulnerable.
--

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

That's true, but I only would do it when it was something actually needed. I get the feeling these guys may be trying to sell it as a routine service which may be a bit extreme....

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
reply to fartness
If I were to buy a new car, I would do it on my own time, before the first winter.
--

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to mattmag
I'm also in the very extreme portion of the salt belt if it makes a difference.

Do car washes affect the system in anyway that could "dry" it?

ChargerMike
Premium
join:2001-06-10
Edgerton, WI

1 edit
reply to fartness
1. Do I need this? :NO
2. What exactly needs to be "wetted"? : A MADE UP TERM BY THE DEALER
3. What should this service cost, if needed? : $0.00 SEE ABOVE
4. Will there be any performance increases or added longevity of my braking system?
:ONLY IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES NOW, UNEVEN WEAR, PULLING, NOISE, PEDAL PULSES
5. If I get new pads (just pads) in the future, won't they have to do that anyway?:YES
(At 35K you're about half way to a brake job anyway.)

I would find another repair place to go to, or take off your "I am a gullible sucker" tee shirt
when you go there.

(edit for spelling)

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to fartness
Interesting thing that dealer is trying. I wouldnt go back to them. Not when you have a car that is what like two years old. I would avoid that place at all costs. Who knows what a dealer trying a scam like that will do to you.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to fartness
You didn't say if you paid them to do it or not.

Also, did they do the previous brake job ?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Its a 2012 with 35,000 miles on it. Pretty safe to assume the answer is no to that.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to Hall
No I did not pay for them to do that. It still has the original brakes on it.

Now that I remember, they mentioned this to me a few times ago when I told them I don't like the performance of the brakes. Nothing wrong with the brakes I guess, just I'd probably go with a different brand of ceramics rather than OEM whenever it's time to change them.