spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

drewphish1

join:2013-10-19

Why does my wifi go out every night at exact same time at night?

I am in canada now, im from the usa. When i first got here, the internet wifi was very bad at that place. I then went to another apartment and was told internet wifi here was very fast and reliable. The wifi is fast and reliable here... however, sometimes it does disconnect a bit and a bit slow but thats not a big problem usually.

Well i had noticed something very strange. The last week or so i went to bed pretty late and am online. I noticed that at exactly 3:40am... the wifi immediately disconnects and when i click on the internet icon in the bottom right to look for the internet connection... its no longer there. There are 2 wifi internet names/routers in this building that i live in and i was told they have 2 of them in case one of them have a problem, i connect to the other. Lets call them wireless connection a and b. Wireless A is very fast and reliable. B isn't that reliable and many times you can't connect to it though but its still okay. During the day seems to be good but Wireless A is faster than B so i stick with that one.

Anyways, at around 3:40am... wifi goes off. Check the wireless connections... both of them are gone. So i cannot connect to any wireless internet connection at all. I see some other wifi networks but of course thats someone elses and i cannot connect to it b/c u need a passcode for it.

The next day or so, i went to bed pretty late so just going online. Same thing... 3:40am... wifi goes off and when you search for the wifi connections, both are no longer there. So thats when i knew this isn't a coincidence because the first time it happened... i remembered what time it was b/c it was like exactly same time. I then go to bed b/c i cannot even go online anymore.

Yesterday i went to bed late again just to see if this is indeed a disconnect at exactly same time. What you know... same thing 3:40am or so it disconnects and no wifi at all. The thing that is different though is i stayed up still to see when the wifi would come back. I think around 4:05 am or so the wifi connection reappeared and i could connect to it no problem. However, it didn't seem to do that the 1st time as i recalled i stayed up to 4 something and still no wifi.

Does anyone know what is the cause of this? It seems very strange that the wifi would go out and the wifi network names would just go away at exactly same time every night. I was told if the wifi ever have any problems, just walk upstairs to this door where the routers are place... its like one floor under me and in like this place where its in a stairway of a closet. Im not sure how to explain it. To disconnect the power and replug it and wait 1 minute.

I have not done this yet at all b/c i haven't had much problems during the day. The thing is im curious why this happens at exactly 3:40am.

Anyone here ever have this problem? The only thing i know is the name of the internet in my building is Videotron.

One of the routers is a TP Link WR340G. The other one is a Cisco one.

drewphish1

Someone in a forum posted

Two things - first one - the router is password protected and we can' discuss ways of bypassing security.

Second - even if you logged in there seems to be no scheduled reboot feature in this router's firmware.
Check out this emulator from TP-LINK for 340G.
I can't see this option in the firmware.

I see the link that he gave for the emulator. I never seen that before or know of stuff like that. So basically thats how it looks if i log into it with the correct username/password?

I had typed the 192.168.2.1 but when it ask for username/password, i typed admin for both and it doesn't work. So what do i do then? I guess its in the settings that router turns off always at same time and only way to fix this is by going to settings to change this right?

The other thing is this building shares the wifi throughout the whole building. And of course i dont want to do something wrong but the thing is im the one person in this building that really is on the internet a lot, everyone else doesnt seem to use it that much.

What can i do? I dont know the username/password to the router. Should i just go and reset the router thus to bypass the security? Thing is wouldn't it look exactly like the emulator or it might be something different? Im thinking i can just go and reset the router, then rename the router the same as it is now and make sure to use the same password and then make the changes to the router and that would be fine? The thing is everyone in this building who lives here is given the password to the 2 wifi connections and of course i will not make any changes to it. I just want to turn off that option that turns the wifi off at 3:40am.

And the person that i spoke to about this... just told me the wifi should never have any problems. But of course... they are not awake this late so they wouldn't notice and neither would anyone on this building.

So if its not in the firmware, so what does that mean? That it HAS to be the internet cable company Videotron? Do you with videotron who have internet and use it very late at night ever have this problem around this time?

Dcite

join:2006-05-12
Mississauga, ON
What makes you believe that the unit didn't have some custom firmware installed onto it? Since it really does sound more like a scheduled reboot. There is also a chance that the current person you talk to about property manners might not be the one who set it up initially.

drewphish1

well i don't know much about routers. Thus i dont know about custom firmware or anything like that. And the person i spoke to said there should be zero problems even though i mentioned this.

So what can i do now then? So there isn't a way to fix this problem?

Dcite

join:2006-05-12
Mississauga, ON
If it dies for more than 10 minutes, it might be an issue.. Otherwise if it's only dead for about 3 minutes, I think it's a scheduled reboot to ensure the wireless stays reliable. Considering the time, I think it's just a scheduled reboot when the setup person believes most people would be asleep.

There is nothing you can do about the wireless dieing on you during a set time if you are not the owner of the said routers. If you really can't stand it. Consider getting an alternate connection like a Cellphone based Data Stick.

(If the router was dieing at random times, that would be a different matter)

drewphish1

Well everyday it goes out at 3:40am. I tested this and went to bed that late almost every night to see if it does it and indeed thats 100 percent. About 2 nights... the wifi connection came back between 4:05am and 4:08am. Again when this happens, wireless immediately goes out. I check the connections on the bottom right corner, connection A is no longer found. Connection B is there... however... after 30 seconds or so... it then disappears. Then for the next 25 minutes or so, i cannot see the connection and thus cant connect.

Those 2 times that i did connect back it took till 4:05am to 4:08am. However, there were many times where i waited and the connection never came back. A few times i just went to bed after the 3:40am because i wanted to see if it did this everytime and it did.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
reply to drewphish1
are you in Rogers land? at about 3am they do local node maintenance and the modem will usually lose sync for a few minutes. if your modem is serving your wifi it might go down too if it detects the WAN went offline.

drewphish1

Im in Montreal. I was told the internet that is used in this building is Videotron...

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
do you have direct access to the modem/router? are you able to see if wired also goes down at the same time?

shrugs

@videotron.ca
could also be a "schedule" that someone played with to kill wireless or certain lan IP's at a specified time.

And from the sounds of it, the building is supplying the wifi so he has no access to it.

It could be that someone just kicks him (or everyone) off every night so they can hog the B/W.

Either way it isn't his internet connection it appears, from the sounds of it.

If he is paying for it as part of his rent and it's on the lease, and if the LL blows him off, he can go complain to the rental board for a refund of non-working services.

What else can he do?

Jura

@colt.net
reply to drewphish1
I read the subject as: Why does my wife go out every night at exact same time....

I am glad I was mistaken.

drewphish1

okay so i just went to take a look at the router and noticed a few new things that i did not notice.

The wireless router is a TP Link TL WR340gd and NOT WR340G. Made a mistake at reading it. The reason is b/c i have to walk on some stairs to get to the top of this area to view it... its basically not in a flat surface. Imagine you keeping a router in the attic... you can see what i mean by uncomforatable as i have to climb up stairs to view it... the router is attached to the side of the wall.

Another thing i noticed is the Cisco Router that i saw... its a Cisco Linksys. I think this might be the modem? It has 2 wires that it connects to. One is a black wire that is obviously the power button that connects to an outlet at the bottom. The other wire is a white ethernet cable that connects directly to the back of the TL WR340gd router.

Now here is the thing that confused me a lot about the TL WR340gd until i took a closer look. There is one white wire that connects to the cisco linksys modem/router. There is a black wire that is the power wire that connects downwards to an outlet. There is a blue ethernet wire that connects somethign upwards. I have no clue where it connects to because the wire goes up and i don't know where it connects to.

And the interesting thing is there is also another 2 wires that is connected which makes no sense. One is red wire and another is a black wire. I had no clue where it connected to until i went back down and saw that those wires actually connected to two different apartments... the red wire went from the router connected all the way to apartment 1, the black wire went from the router connected all teh way to apartment 2. Im using 1 and 2 for example and both are on the 1st floor. Im on the other hand on the 4th floor so its basically next to impossible to have a ethernet cable that long to connect it to as if i do this, it would obstruct the walking on the stairs.

So i assume those 2 apartments, they basically just attached an ethernet cable from their laptop/desktop to the rotuer so they can get wired internet. Am i correct with this assumption? It made no sense why a router would have so many wires... 5 wires connected to it. And would i be correct to assume that the cisco linksys is basically the modem and a router?

But when i type the 192.168.2.1, it only shows the TP Link.

Is there a chance those 2 apartments one of them have the internet configured for the settings? Again i know both those apartment, they dont sleep late etc so they have no clue that internet is out that late.

drewphish1

And when you say try attaching an ethernet cable from my laptop to the router or modem... would it be correct to assume you mean connect it to the TP Link one or the cisco one? I assume you mean tp link one since 2 other wires are connected to it which they have it wired?

drewphish1

Hi. There is no way someone is doing this to hog the bandwidth. This at at 3:40am in the morning... everyone in my building is asleep already. The thing is i sleep very late so it only affects me.

Yes i paid rent and there is suppose to be wifi etc. Its just i dont know why the wifi isn't only 24 hours. I can understand if it need to reset for a few minutes a day but a few times its been 25 minutes... and the other days... the wifi never came back so i just went to bed.

Im pretty sure there is some setting where the wifi turns off exactly at that time b/c it wants to refresh? But someone tells me this model of router... doesn't have this option. But someone else mention it coudl be customized firmware? Im not knowledgeable with computers at all...

drewphish1

reply to drewphish1
Want to answer few things.

There are 2 wifi connections. Lets call them Connection A and Connection B. Both have the same password if i want to connect to either one. I always choose connection A. But if connection A has problems or doesn''t work, i choose B. Usually one of them will work very good while the other is either good, okay or not that good. So i always see these 2 connections when im on my laptop until that time of course.

Here is the thing. I had asked if Connection A... if that was for the TP Link or for the linksys. Thus there are 2 wifi connections and 2 routers. Connection A which is usually the more reliable one... i was told it was for the TP actually and connection B was for the cisco linkys. That seems to be the opposite of what you expect? The thing was they was not sure which one it was. Is there a way to find out?

Another thing is i had went to that router and connected my laptop with an ethernet cable to the tp link router port. I was connected to Connection B on my wifi. Then i connected the ethernet to it and was still connected to Connection B. Does that mean that tp link has to be connection B and thus connection A is the linksys and thus the person told me the wrong thing? Again they are not sure. Also when i check the wifi connection properties, connection A is WEP. Connection B is WPA2. Does that give you a clue which connection is which router?

drewphish1

reply to drewphish1
Last night i went there at 3:45am and took a look. The wifi of course went of as usual at 3:40am. When i went there... both the linksys router and the tp link router was powered off. I then unplugged the power cord from each of them and plugged it back in, same thing. The power didn't appear. So this means that at 3:40am, the power goes off in both routers since when i got there 3:45am... there was no power at all.

What does this mean then?

Shrugs

@videotron.ca
No electricity?
Check what these things are plugged in to.
I have a UPS that will shut down with a timer.
I also have a powerbar with a timer on it.

Those would be the only two things.

Also, go to the landlord and start bitching about no electricity at the same time every day. Or the rental board.

drewphish1

Hi. I still have electricity in my apartment at all times. I mean at that time, the router isn't on and thus powers off. So if i go there at 3:39am... and wait while looking at router... it would power off at 3:40am.

Its plugged into an outlet? Im confused what you mean by this.

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter

1 edit
reply to drewphish1
Interesting thread....

So you are in an apartment in some type of building that offers wireless Internet. And the router powers down for a 1/2 hour or so, like clockwork.

this would mean the electrical outlet the router/internet is plugged into, is on a timer. The timer may be on or next to the power panel that leads to that specific outlet. A timer controlled outlet would be used for things such as security lights and other things that don't need to be on 24/7.
The timer on the outlet would have a 24 hour clock, but without an over-ride, which would shut off the timer function.
So what is probably happening is, the timer is set to its maximum time which is roughly short of 24hours by a fifteen minutes.
--
Knowledge and curiosity are not crimes and those who are curious should not be treated like criminals.. »www.eff.org/https-everywhere

drewphish1

Hi. Yes these apartments in this building offer wireless internet and the internet is very fast according to what i was told. Its videotron.

The routers power off from 3:40am till im not sure when exactly but there were 2 days where i stayed up until the wifi connection came back on... it came back on around 4:05 or 4:08am. The other few nights i stayed up, i just went to bed right after 3:40am so i didnt know when it came back. There were a few other nights i stayed up and the wifi didnt come back at all... though im not sure 100 percent b/c it was already late. But i think there was a time when it was 4:15am and there still wasn't wifi.. im not sure about this or not.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to drewphish1
said by drewphish1:

And the interesting thing is there is also another 2 wires that is connected which makes no sense. One is red wire and another is a black wire. I had no clue where it connected to until i went back down and saw that those wires actually connected to two different apartments... the red wire went from the router connected all the way to apartment 1, the black wire went from the router connected all teh way to apartment 2. Im using 1 and 2 for example and both are on the 1st floor. Im on the other hand on the 4th floor so its basically next to impossible to have a ethernet cable that long to connect it to as if i do this, it would obstruct the walking on the stairs.

So i assume those 2 apartments, they basically just attached an ethernet cable from their laptop/desktop to the rotuer so they can get wired internet. Am i correct with this assumption? It made no sense why a router would have so many wires... 5 wires connected to it. And would i be correct to assume that the cisco linksys is basically the modem and a router?

Routers typically have two types of connections:

WAN ("Wide Area Network") - essentially the Internet, or at least something "wider" than your local network

LAN ("Local Area Network") - all the local connections - note this can be wireless too

Most consumer routers have one WAN port and 4 LAN ports. So yes, you can have five cables going to the router - one WAN, 4 LAN. Add power and you have six actually.

You're correct in assuming that the LAN cables are for hardwired connections to the other apartments.

From what you're saying, it sounds like:

- the TP-Link is the primary router. There's a cable modem connected to Videotron situated somewhere you can't see it. This modem has a blue ethernet cable and connects to the TP-Link's WAN port. From there, the TP-Link's 4 LAN ports connect to two apartments (red & black cables) and the Cisco Linksys (white cable). This leaves one LAN port free, incidentally.

The Cisco Linksys cannot be a modem - if it was it would have a coaxial cable connected to it. You indicate the only connections are power and a white ethernet cable from the TP-Link. We can therefore conclude it's a wireless access point (AP). It only acts as a wireless connection to the TP-Link.

It sounds like both the TP-Link and the Cisco Linksys have wireless functions, which is why you have two wireless networks. Download and install "inSSIDer" to tell which is which along with many other useful bits of information.

It sounds like you narrowed down the problem (a timed power interruption) but incidentally, if it was the Videotron connection that went down, the wireless networks wouldn't turn off. They wouldn't care. You could still connect to them just fine, but you wouldn't get any Internet data.
--
TekSavvy 35/3 cable - Technicolor DCM476 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - Amer Networks SGD8 switch - ASUS RT-N66U (as AP)

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jura
said by Jura :

I read the subject as: Why does my wife go out every night at exact same time....

I am glad I was mistaken.

Me too. Wow!

Blob
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

jobr

join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS
reply to drewphish1
When I first saw this thread, I misread the topic as "Why does my wife go out every night at exact same time at night?" and thought to myself that it sounds more appropriate for some marriage advice forum.

tallguy11

join:2002-02-08
Edmonton, AB
reply to drewphish1
yup sounds to me like the outlet that the access points are plugged into is on a timer... not much u can really do other than plug them into a differnet outlet if there is one near by

trog

join:2001-03-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to drewphish1
Maybe ask the landlord as to why this is happening?

Obviously there IS a reason...

neochu

join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON
said by trog:

Maybe ask the landlord as to why this is happening?

Obviously there IS a reason...

If internet is covered in his rent definately he has a right to know.

Though it could be an outlet mysteriously connected to a switch no one knows about and the landlord may be as clueless as he is.

(oii how long some of those can take to figure out, LOL)

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to drewphish1
The internet is too important these days to be offered to a mass audience of strangers via some random consumer router. It can be done, but I'm pretty sure almost no one does it right.

Are they using 802.11x (username + password), or WPA-PSK ( same password for everyone)?

If your story is accurate, there's a hardware issue here, because a reboot shouldn't last more than 3-4 minutes.

It's hard to find a solution when we don't know the problem. You could always offer to give then another access point for testing or for your use (this doesn't replace the router, merely creates another SSID for the same network)

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to drewphish1

Re: Why does my wife go out every night at exact same time at night?

At first glance, my mind's eye saw :

"Why does my wife go out every night at exact same time at night ?"

Whole different scenario !

youneedhelp

@bell.ca
just for the hell of it i d get an extension cord and plug things into a diff outlet who cares at 3 40 am where you plug it in everyone is in bed anyhow. if it works in another outlet you have solved the situation and need to take it up with the landlord.

drewphish1

Okay the person just contacted me back. They told me it isn't a timer... its the internet company videotron that does this reset every night and they do it b/c they dont expect anyone to be awake/using the internet at that time. I asked the person so this can't be prevented and they said no. I then asked if they could do this reset at another time and they said they will tell me when they contact them again.

Seriously is this quite normal? Im from the usa this never happened with road runner internet. I find it strange in canada an internet company does this. Do all internet companies in canada does this then?