JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

[FireFox] .WAV files won't play in FF 24.0

Environment:

Windows 7 x64

Firefox 24
Microsoft Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin 1.0.0.8 is installed and enabled

Settings under FF Options/Applications are as follows:

Wave Sound - "Use Windows Media Player (default)" !!! Please note that "Use Microsoft Windows Media Player plugin" is not available in drop-down list for this type !!!

Windows Media Audio File - "Use Microsoft Windows Media Player plugin"
All other types starting from "Windows Media" - "Use Microsoft Windows Media Player plugin"

Apple Quicktime is NOT installed (I have no need for it).

What I experience is that embedded WAV files do not play. They do play in Chrome v 30.0.1599.10 and in IE 10.0.9200.16721. They also play on my other computer that does have QuickTime installed.

I experienced this first on »www.merriam-webster.com/ ··· ary/test - when I click on speaker item to hear pronunciation pop-up window opens but nothing plays. Pressing on speaker in popup window does nothing. Clicking on "Click here to listen with your default audio player." correctly opens file in Windows Media Player and plays it.

IMPORTANT: if I enlarge popup window there is a message "A plugin is needed to display this content". Pressing on "Install plugin" wants to install "Apple Quicktime" which I don't want and shouldn't need because I have other plugins for .WAV files.

As it turns out there was a bug reported in FF 22 that apparently was fixed:

»bugzilla.mozilla.org/sho ··· d=890516

Sample page in bug description (»www.messianictrust.org.u ··· t-10.php) doesn't work for me - when pressing on either of the buttons I get "A plugin is needed to display this content". Pressing on "Install plugin" wants to install "Apple Quicktime".

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob

Premium Member

Have you ever tried the very excellent VLC Media player ?

»www.videolan.org/vlc/
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

said by Racerbob:

Have you ever tried the very excellent VLC Media player ?

»www.videolan.org/vlc/

Yes, on other PCs. My point is - I shouldn't need any additional plugins to play .WAV files.

MarkRH
Premium Member
join:2005-02-08
Edmond, OK
ARRIS BGW210-700
ARRIS TM3402
Asus RT-AC68

MarkRH

Premium Member

Well, that Windows Media Player Plugin doesn't support audio/x-wav Mime type which is why it doesn't play it. If you put about:plugins in the address bar you can check which Mime types plugins support. Doesn't play for me either with the Plugins I have installed. Running FF 24.0 in Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
OK...I choose to use VLC and the wav files at the dictionary site play fine here for me.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to MarkRH

Premium Member

to MarkRH
said by MarkRH:

Well, that Windows Media Player Plugin doesn't support audio/x-wav Mime type which is why it doesn't play it. If you put about:plugins in the address bar you can check which Mime types plugins support. Doesn't play for me either with the Plugins I have installed. Running FF 24.0 in Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

I put about:plugins in the address bar. You are correct, there are no entries for audio/x-wav and audio/wav on computer that has this problem. My laptop that doesn't have a problem has entries for both types both in VLC and QuickTime section. And QuickTime is picked as a player for these files in browser options.
JoeSchmoe007

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

FWIW I ended up installing QuickTime and it fixed this problem.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
> Apple Quicktime is NOT installed (I have no need for it).

Nor I.

> there was a bug reported in FF 22 that apparently was fixed

I believe that to be a general "audio" breakage, irrespective of anything else, like Plugins that may also be required for playback.

> Sample page in bug ... when pressing on either of the buttons I get "A plugin is
> needed to display this content

Again, that bug was a general breakage in "audio".
Once the bug was fixed, "audio" would again play.
But there could be other requirements, like having a Plugin to effect the actual playback.

> Windows Media Player Plugin doesn't support audio/x-wav Mime type which is why it doesn't play it

Correct.

application/x-ms-wmp (np-mswmp: *),
application/asx (*),
video/x-ms-asf-plugin (*),
application/x-mplayer2 (*),
video/x-ms-asf (asf,asx,*),
video/x-ms-wm (wm,*),
audio/x-ms-wma (wma,*),
audio/x-ms-wax (wax,*),
video/x-ms-wmv (wmv,*),
video/x-ms-wvx (wvx,*)

It is possible to playback "wav" in Mozilla, via html5.

HTML5 Audio Formats Test
pensioner
Premium Member
join:2005-02-20
Gulfport, MS

pensioner to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
Long time ago I had to install a plugin to get the MW Dictionary site to speak to me so your posting sounded familiar. Went to the site but now it won't work. Checked my plugins, had the right one but found a new one or maybe the same old one at »www.interoperabilitybrid ··· download
and then had to properly get it registered or recognized by setting the preference - all explained here: »kb.mozillazine.org/Windo ··· g_plugin

good luck.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

quote:
Microsoft Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin 1.0.0.8 is installed and enabled

(OP has that already, but it does not handle "wav".)