Search similar:

uniqs
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

1 edit

Xtreme2damax

[General] Earthlink DSL Questions

I just ordered Earthlink DSL last week, received and hooked up equipment yesterday. I got the service because satellite, dsl and possibly Verizon Home Fusion are my only other options. I am hoping service will work well enough to let me play some of my games online, light Youtube and Netflix streaming.

When I hooked the equipment up there was no and still is no dsl light lit on the modem. Called Earthlink (sigh crappy Indian support) and they said the vendor rejected the order or something like that, was having a tough time trying to understand what the guy was saying. I guess he said he submitted to another vendor and it was accepted but I won't have service until the 24th of this month. I am a bit confused so I hope someone might know what happened.
Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Well it seems this section is totally dead.
Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Hello

hello

Perhaps someone knows what is going on or what the vendor issue is that caused the original vendor to reject the order prompting the cancellation.
Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

After calling Earthlink on the 19th and finding out they cancelled the order due to the vendor rejecting the order, they went with another vendor that apparently approved the order. They told me an my mom that service wouldn't be activated until the 24th. Is there any reason they couldn't activate it sooner? I don't even know if I may have to call Verizon to check the lines at my new place. Will the dsl light on the modem remain off until service is activated in a couple days?

Please respond so I know what I may need to do. I am also curious as to what the vendor issue was that initially prompted cancellation of the order.
Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Does anyone ever browse this section?
Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Hello?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to Xtreme2damax

Premium Member

to Xtreme2damax
Only a few die-hards left here.

Earthlink has multiple vendors depending on your area. If one rejects your order, you may have one more chance before being told not available. Good Luck to you.

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »How do I tell who's *really* provisioning my line?
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

Well crap it looks like I may be out of luck since service was supposed to be activated today and still no dsl light is lit on the modem. Not to happy since the Earthlink website showed that service was available at my address and I spent money for nothing. I will call Earthlink later today but is there any way to return the hardware and get my money back for the hardware and non-existent service?

Seems my only other choice besides satellite and dial up is to get Verizon Home Fusion.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Xtreme2damax:

is there any way to return the hardware and get my money back for the hardware and non-existent service?

Yes, you should get a full refund if the service cannot be provisioned and activated at your location. They will normally send you a return merchandise shipping label to return the modem and filters.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

Both the Verizon and Earthlink websites claim service is available at my address. Only speeds up to 3Mbps, not sure why I can't order a package with higher speeds. According to Earthlink support the vendors keep rejecting it because of my credit or a back bill. Since Verizon owns the lines around here I was thinking Verizon is holding a back bill I owe them against me. When they see my information they keep rejecting the order, not sure if they can do that since I am going through a reseller for service.
Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Another possibility is that Earthlink kept claiming I needed phone service, however I signed up for freestanding dsl which doesn't require phone service. If they are trying to set me up with non-freestanding dsl of course it would be cancelled since I don't have phone service nor do I plan on getting phone service. It's hard to tell these Indian people anything or get anywhere with Indian "support" due to language barriers which is why I wish companies would stop outsourcing to other countries.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to Xtreme2damax

Premium Member

to Xtreme2damax
said by Xtreme2damax:

According to Earthlink support the vendors keep rejecting it because of my credit or a back bill. Since Verizon owns the lines around here I was thinking Verizon is holding a back bill I owe them against me. When they see my information they keep rejecting the order, not sure if they can do that since I am going through a reseller for service.

Yes, that is most likely the holdup. You may need to clear that up first.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

So I'll need to pay the back bill for Verizon first? I presumed since I was going through a reseller that shouldn't matter. I know my parents use an alternative phone company that resells Verizon service and they owed a past bill to Verizon afaik.
Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Called Verizon today, they claimed the Earthlink orders kept being rejected because Verizon apparently doesn't work with Earthlink, at least not in this area. Set up dsl service throught Verizon which they assured me I can get at my new address. A technician is coming out on the 4th to repair the lines and install any equipment then I should be all set to go and even got phone service with it for $39.95 /mo. My only question that remains is why only speeds up to 3Mbps are available, why not 7Mbps?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Xtreme2damax:

Called Verizon today, they claimed the Earthlink orders kept being rejected because Verizon apparently doesn't work with Earthlink, at least not in this area.

Never heard of that before. Must be something new maybe?
said by Xtreme2damax:

Set up dsl service throught Verizon which they assured me I can get at my new address. A technician is coming out on the 4th to repair the lines and install any equipment then I should be all set to go and even got phone service with it for $39.95 /mo.

Good luck. Hope you get online with it soon.
said by Xtreme2damax:

My only question that remains is why only speeds up to 3Mbps are available, why not 7Mbps?

Distance from the DSLAM in the CO or Remote Terminal. Otherwise there is nothing I can think of unless they are limiting speeds for another reason that's not a technical limitation of the technology. You might ask in the Verizon DSL Forum.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Xtreme2damax

MVM

to Xtreme2damax
said by Xtreme2damax:

My only question that remains is why only speeds up to 3Mbps are available, why not 7Mbps?

Doctor Olds See Profile provided one possible reason. Another may be backhaul capacity is limited.