Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Apple recall: MacBook Air at risk of catastrophic SSD failure

Apple has issued a recall for the defective drives, which were used in the mid-2012 revision of the MacBook Air. Only 64GB and 128GB drives are affected. The 256GB drive Apple chose for the Air was manufactured by Samsung and isn’t experiencing the same issue.

Source: »www.geek.com/apple/apple ··· -1574292

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy

Premium Member

Samsung....not saying they did it on purpose. Just odd how those two companies are always fighting yet they're in so much business together.

My MBA is mid-2011, no issues.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus

Premium Member

The Samsung drive is not part of the recall.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to AppleGuy

Premium Member

to AppleGuy
said by AppleGuy:

Samsung....not saying they did it on purpose. Just odd how those two companies are always fighting yet they're in so much business together.

My MBA is mid-2011, no issues.

You should learn to read. Also, the LG screens in macbook pro retinas are bad while the Samsung screens are perfect as well. Apple goes to Samsung because they are the best at components.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to AppleGuy

Premium Member

to AppleGuy
Samsung SSD's are amongst the most reliable out there...
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to AppleGuy

Premium Member

to AppleGuy
its the Samsung drives that work just fine.

But also this shows how much bigger than Apple Samsung is. On one hand they are always fighting but on the other hand they are Apple's primary chip vendor for anything that is not CPU/GPU related. But its actually two different parts of Samsung.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung Megacorp in every sense except the scifi sense because they do not yet have their own military.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

They are Apple's primary chip vendor as well, they make their arm chips.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I've always wondered, with all these "patent wars" with Samsung & Apple, Samsung could effectively cripple Apple if they just said, no chips for you.

I'm sure they'd be sued large, but they would have damaged Apple big time...

I realize Samsung's mobile division is separate from their manufacturing/fab division, but still... Same parent...

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Apple would get by, but their machines would be less reliable and either hotter and/or fatter.

I doubt either one wants to rock the boat too much. But if Apple attempts to ban the newest Samsung devices you may see exactly that.

Because of the last lawsuit Samsung forced Apple to buy their chips at 20% more...

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I know Apple has some A chips made by TSMC, but its likely a small volume, Samsung carries the majority load.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
That 20% is Samsung's tolerance fee.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to HiVolt

MVM,

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Samsung could effectively cripple Apple if they just said, no chips for you.

Apple has the money to switch to a different fab at a higher price. The issue isn't that only Samsung can produce what Apple wants, it's that only Samsung can do it at the price and yield Apple wants. If they were forced to use a different fab, they definitely could.

I think the bigger issue would be for Samsung. Who would do business with Samsung's fab after that - get on their shit list for a completely separate, unrelated business reason and they cut you off? They'd also have tons of fab lines without any products to make - Apple is a huge customer. Bad for both parties.
Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff to HiVolt

MVM,

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I know Apple has some A chips made by TSMC, but its likely a small volume, Samsung carries the majority load.

I don't think any of the A-series chips were fab'ed by TSMC - there have only been rumors. Samsung fab'd all the chips in use:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ap ··· on_chip)