share rss forum feed

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

1 edit

Time machine oddity

A friend of mine has a mid-2010 MBP with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on it.
Earlier this week I gave him a 320GB drive from one of my Mac's and we did a drive swap (his drive was 250GB) and we put the 250GB drive in an external USB case to use a Time Machine volume. He has about 160GB of data on the 320GB internal drive.

Thursday night he enabled Time Machine for the 1st time and let TM do a full backup, which appeared to complete correctly overnight.

Since then he's hardly used his machine - a little surfing, some e-mail, a couple of small Word documents - yet every hour TM wants to backup 80GB!!! WTF is going on??

One more fact: He puts his machine to sleep between uses, so the only thing I can think of is that when establishing 'sleep mode', a ton of files are deemed modified as far as TM is concerned -- but seriously ... 1/2 of his used disk space???? There's got to be something else going on here.

Any ideas?

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Is there another OS, like Windows7, on the drive also?

My entire Parallels / Windows folder wanted to update - whole 25+ gigs each time

I had to go in and tell TM not to back that folder up after that first one
What few windows files I create, I put in DropBox

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

No, there's nothing monolithic like a .pvm on that Mac. The only thing my friend has of any appreciable size on that Mac is a 4000 song iTunes library, which he seldom adds songs to any longer.

What's odd is that when he had the old 250Gb drive installed in the MBP last week and was using a different TM drive, it would behave correctly, ie. backing up 10MB one hour, 32MG the next hour, all more or less in line with what his activity on the machine would be.

The reason we did the drive swap was because his old TM drive died.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to MaynardKrebs

Is TM going back and properly grooming the old data on the TM drive?

I had a situation where TM wouldn't groom the old stuff and it would fill up the disk. I think that might have been my fault asking it to TM a network share.