share rss forum feed

Konaguy
Live From Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Premium
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI

Oceanic Time Warner Cable Turbo Tier Promotional Rate

Click for full size
I upgraded to Oceanic Time Warner Cable's Turbo tier (20/2Mbps soon 30/5Mbps) on Friday. Oceanic has a promotional rate of $10.00 more a month (regular price is $20.00) for this speed tier. The promotion is good for a year.

This promotional rate expires at the end of this month.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:4

The letter I got says the promo expires 11/13/2013. It's a TWC promo. The number to call is TWC mainland not Oceanic.

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI

1. I called up customer service and was told the promotion expires at the end of the month

2. I stopped by Oceanic's Kona office and the CSR was able to upgrade my service on the spot. I didn't have to call the mainland.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

You got a different promo that is all. I got a "loyal customer" promo.

Evidently, TWC shows my records as being on Standard tier currently which is incorrect. The person in the other thread who told us that Turbo was going to 30/5 and he said he had called and gotten it talked to the Mainland. All the calls about Oceanic Internet are answered on the Mainland (or NHD in the Philippines) but you are not told that (same with many, many banks, other businesses in Hawaii now. You think you got someone local but you got someone on the Mainland and they are told not tell you unless you expressly ask where they are located).

I wondered why the letter says nothing about the speed if you upgrade. I guess it is because of the impending upgrade in speed in Hawaii and the letter goes to folks in all divisions that are on Standard tier. So, since TWC has decided to play some weird divisive game again (and let different divisions have different speeds but with the same name for the tier) they can't mention the speed unless they wrote different letters for different divisions.

(This screwiness regarding billing is one reason I will never pay the bill at TWC website).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY

said by Mele20:

The person in the other thread who told us that Turbo was going to 30/5

Link to thread?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

»Re: [Internet] How much do you guys pay for internet?

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI

Uh, the Turbo tier is going to be raised to 30Mbps/5Mbps. This is why I took advantage of the $10.00 Turbo upgrade promotion.

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY
reply to Konaguy

So if Turbo is going to 30/5, what's Extreme (currently 30/5) going to?

thorin

join:2007-11-08
Liberty, MO
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by jpatton1979:

So if Turbo is going to 30/5, what's Extreme (currently 30/5) going to?

If it is anything like what was done here in Kansas City. Extreme will go to 50/5...

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI

said by thorin:

If it is anything like what was done here in Kansas City. Extreme will go to 50/5...

This is correct. The Extreme tier will be bumped to 50/5Mbps.

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
reply to Konaguy

Turbo will be 30/5?? When? Hmm, Maybe I should take advantage of Turbo promo $10 upgrade.

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI

said by dragonman300:

Turbo will be 30/5?? When? Hmm, Maybe I should take advantage of Turbo promo $10 upgrade.

I don't know when it will happen in California, but it should it happen as soon as tomorrow in Hawaii

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

Alright let us know when you got Turbo 30/5 upgrade!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Click for full size
lavanet server Oahu Visualware MySpeed
Click for full size
University of Hawaii server
Click for full size
RIT server New York state
Click for full size
University of California Santa Cruz
Click for full size
Oceanic's test Oahu
Got it at 5:37AM today. Visualware's speed test (on Oahu) shows POOR Speed Consistency. Hopefully, that will straighten out. I had been getting 99% Speed Consistency on the same test with the 20/2 speed. Speedtest.net (that I don't care much for because I don't get the important information that I get with Visualware, or NDT Web 100 tests, shows high speed to the University of Hawaii server. I know lots here like this test so I'll show it). NDT Web100 tests are all over the place. One I have done for many years to California shows only 18mbps down, yet an NDT Web 100 test to New York shows much higher, but with LOTS of congestion which I don't usually see on that test. The California NDT Web100 test claims I have no IP address. Never seen that before and been doing that test for over 12 years. Oceanic's own speed test (on Oahu) which is hosted by Speedtest.net takes about 5 minutes to record the upload speed.

I LOVE the upload speed. All those screenshots uploaded here BEFORE I had time to blink! Amazing.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI

Thanks for the confirmation that you got the speed increase. I rebooted my modem about four times when I got home today, but my connection is still at 20/2Mbps. The CSR wanted to do a truck roll because of this issue, but I'm going to handle it through alternative means.

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI

My modem didn't receive the new config file, so I had to jump through hoops to get my modem reprovisioned for the higher speeds this evening.

Oceanic also rolled out new Road Runner speeds today.

15Mbps/1Mbps
30Mbps/5Mbps
50Mbps/5Mbps
75Mbps/5Mbps
100Mbps/5Mbps

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Konaguy

said by Konaguy:

Thanks for the confirmation that you got the speed increase. I rebooted my modem about four times when I got home today, but my connection is still at 20/2Mbps. The CSR wanted to do a truck roll because of this issue, but I'm going to handle it through alternative means.

Bummer.

I rebooted the modem about 2AM because usually any work by Oceanic that involves the modem being rebooted seems to happen between 12-1AM but I still had 20/2 at 2AM. When I got on the computer today, first thing I did was check the modem logs and there was a reboot:

Oct 23 2013 15:37:21 Cable Modem Reboot from SNMP ;CM-MAC=94:cc:b9:45:9d:f4;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:3f:fe:4a;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
(15:37 is 5:37AM HST - this is for those reading this who don't know it is a 10 hour time difference from modem log time and real time in Hawaii).

I knew that had to be it. So, it was not like times in the past (remember when we went to 3MB down years ago and both of us kept rebooting the modems to see if we had the increase yet and we emailed each other several times to see if either of us had it? Now, the user doesn't have to reboot ....it just automatically reboots which is nice.

Post some speed tests when you get it. I hope your Visualware test shows better Speed Consistency on the download speed than mine did this afternoon. I'm in love with the upload speed.

This afternoon, I told two people who reside in this condo to call Oceanic and upgrade to Turbo before the end of the month. There is no mention on Oceanic's website about any Turbo promo. Plus, these two neighbors did not get the letter I got from TWC Mainland about upgrading to Turbo. Both have Standard tier. Plus, Oceanic has not updated their website yet to show the new speeds. So, it is only word of mouth, and those who read this site, who know to call to get Turbo promo.
--

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI

The Turbo tier (20Mbps/2Mbps) doesn't exist anymore, as far as I understand. Everyone is getting upgraded to the Extreme Tier (30Mbps/5Mbps) at the same rate. The Turbo (Extreme) promotion is $10.00 a month for 12 months. Then the regular rack pricing of $20.00 kicks in.

It took a lot of persistence, but I was able to get my speed issue resolved. Tier 3 had to manually update the config file for my modem this evening. This solved the speed issue that I was experiencing.

mackey

join:2007-08-20
kudos:6

said by Konaguy:

Then the regular rack pricing of $20.00 kicks in.

When did they reduce it? My bill is still showing it as $30.00/month here in SoCal.

/M

mackey

reply to Konaguy

said by Konaguy:

15Mbps/1Mbps
30Mbps/5Mbps
50Mbps/5Mbps
75Mbps/5Mbps
100Mbps/5Mbps

Those upload speeds are looking pretty pathetic

/M

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to mackey

Turbo has always been $20 more than Standard. $30 more is the price for Extreme tier which is now 50/5.

I was told that Turbo is 30/5 and hasn't gone away...but I think we have to wait for Oceanic to update their website, or the news media to write about it, to know for sure. I wonder what the 100/5 tier is called? Why not just do away with names for the tiers?

I agree the 5mbps upload is poor for the 75 and 100 mbps download tiers. But I think it is acceptable for the new Turbo and and not too bad for Extreme.
--

mackey

Heh, yeah, I saw the "(Extreme)" and 30/5 and forgot we were talking about Turbo

I believe the 75 and 100 tiers are called "Ultimate 75" and "Ultimate 100" respectively, so yeah, they're almost doing away with the names.

/M

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Konaguy

Click for full size
Lavanet test Oahu
Click for full size
Sam Knows Downstream Oct 23
Click for full size
Sam Knows Upstream Oct 23
Visualware's test was much better at midnight...94% Speed Consistency. But still showing some problems. Web 100 tests Details are quite odd.
--

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to Konaguy

said by Konaguy:

My modem didn't receive the new config file, so I had to jump through hoops to get my modem reprovisioned for the higher speeds this evening.

Oceanic also rolled out new Road Runner speeds today.

15Mbps/1Mbps
30Mbps/5Mbps
50Mbps/5Mbps
75Mbps/5Mbps
100Mbps/5Mbps

Okay I am thinking standard went to 20/2 as that is what is reflected in Kansas City. If your area is getting the Kansas City upgraded speeds standard should be 20/2 and lower tiers should see a bump too!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

If Oceanic is smart they won't upgrade Standard because 20/2 and 30/5 do not warrant $20 a month more for the higher tier. The speeds are too close together for more than a $10 increase over Standard to Turbo. I was told by Oceanic more than once in this past year that any speed increase would be such as to fairly charge an additional $20 a month for Turbo. I was told early this month that Oceanic was very much aware that at 15/1 and 20/2 charging $20 a month more for Turbo was not right (and they would not get the customers they'd like on that tier) and they intended to fix it with the new speeds. I personally do not think 30/5 is worth $20 a month more if Standard goes to 20/2.

(Most users fixate on the download speed...they don't understand why a higher upload is good).
--

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by Mele20:

If Oceanic is smart they won't upgrade Standard because 20/2 and 30/5 do not warrant $20 a month more for the higher tier. The speeds are too close together for more than a $10 increase over Standard to Turbo. I was told by Oceanic more than once in this past year that any speed increase would be such as to fairly charge an additional $20 a month for Turbo. I was told early this month that Oceanic was very much aware that at 15/1 and 20/2 charging $20 a month more for Turbo was not right (and they would not get the customers they'd like on that tier) and they intended to fix it with the new speeds. I personally do not think 30/5 is worth $20 a month more if Standard goes to 20/2.

(Most users fixate on the download speed...they don't understand why a higher upload is good).

well for one it should happen as to say don't upgrade a tier because it doesn't offer value for the next tier that costs more well I am sorry but if you are going to upgrade the tiers upgrade them all because it not only would make the provider look better it would give good press not to mention it could undercut competition for the same cost equivalent tier from the Telco competition. TWC upgraded Turbo to 30/5 and standard to 20/2 in Kansas City. Besides 10Mbps down and 3Mbps up would be worth the $20 upgrade. Not to mention even the basic bottom line tier in Kansas City got a boost to 3/1 so I would have my bets on those upgrades making it to the rest of the TWC footprint once the 8 down 4 upstream bonding upgrades are substantially completed. The only reason why Oceanic has even upped the tiers is because they have likely finished their necessary upgrades or are nearly done with them thanks to the 1GHz upgrade. But personally I want 20/2 as I had to drop extreme a few weeks back to cut down on the bill and don't want to pay the extra $20 for
Turbo. Plus I wouldn't mind an extra 1Mbps upload.

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI
reply to Konaguy

Turbo is the new Extreme, as far as I understand after speakin with several customer service representatives last night. Even my parents online billing shows Extreme under the Internet billing portion.

The 30Mbps tier is slated to be 20.00 more a month, although I'm under a promotion that
reduces it to $10.00 more a month for 12 months.

By the way Mele20 See Profile, I found another West Coast Road Runner speed test site:

»speedtest.west.rr.com/

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI

I've downloaded a couple files since yesterday. The max download speed I've seen is 3000KB/sec. I should be seeing up to 3750KB/sec theoretically. My SB6121 supports only four downstream channels instead of eight. I wonder if this is where the bottleneck is.

The new upload speed is impressive. I topped out at 600KB/sec uploading a file to my Dropbox account.

ramjet73

join:2002-12-22
Honolulu, HI
reply to Konaguy

Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's my TWC speed test after resetting my SB6141 to defaults and rebooting it this evening. This only represents the upload and download speeds between my apartment in Honolulu and the Oceanic/TWC server in Mililani with no Internet delays.

I'm on the same $10 per month standard to turbo (now extreme) upgrade promotion. My current monthly charge for the Surf Pak Extra (Digital Cable w/STB + Standard Internet), HD Entertainment Pack and the Standard to Turbo upgrade (listed on my bill as Extreme Internet) is $104.72 including taxes and fees so I'm a happy camper.

Lucky we live Hawaii.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Konaguy

NDT Web 100 speed tests on XP Pro machine say my RWIN is way too low for this new speed. RWIN is at 315138 currently. Tweak Tester here says RWIN is within range but that the "packet size is inefficient". Not sure what that means. TCP Optimizer says I need to change the RWIN to 1027840. That seems really large.
--