Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

OCZ May Be On Its Last Legs

quote:
"OCZ, one of the first commercial solid-state drive (SSD) makers has been blaming a shortage of NAND for its woes for some time now, but things have taken a precipitous turn for the worse: 'For its second fiscal quarter ended August 31, 2013, revenue was $33.5 million, a huge drop compared to revenue of $55.3 million for the first quarter of 2013 and revenue of $88.6 million for the second quarter of 2012. The net loss for this quarter was massive, $26 million, a doubling of the $13.1 million loss in the same quarter last year.' The company has burned through cash, its stock collapsed, and now so have sales. Meanwhile, other SSD makers are doing well. So what is happening here?"
»hardware.slashdot.org/st ··· ast-legs

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

The death knell has been ringing for OCZ for a while. I think Samsung has become the preferred SSD manufacturer for a lot of enthusiasts, and bumped out the Vertex, while the Vector remains prohibitively expensive.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

I'd have to agree with the Samsung statement. I have two 250 GB 840 Series SSDs and both of them have been amazing devices with seriously great performance.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Weird, I just checked prices on the 256 GB Vector and they are stupid high. I bought one from Newegg in March and it was $230. It had Far Cry 3 bundled with it, so for me it was a better deal than an 840 Pro (no bundle, somewhere around $215). The Vertex 450 is at the price the Vector used to be at, and I've been seeing a lot more advertising for it than the Vector.

I've dealt with their support once and it was a pleasant experience. They apparently didn't have any more Vertex 3 Max IOPS left, so they gave me a Vertex 4 instead. The turnaround time was pretty quick as well.

I'll definitely keep an eye on what happens, especially anything support/warranty-wise. 4 of my 6 SSDs are OCZ, it would suck to have no warranty on any of them.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by Thordrune:

Weird, I just checked prices on the 256 GB Vector and they are stupid high. I bought one from Newegg in March and it was $230. It had Far Cry 3 bundled with it, so for me it was a better deal than an 840 Pro (no bundle, somewhere around $215). The Vertex 450 is at the price the Vector used to be at, and I've been seeing a lot more advertising for it than the Vector.

I've dealt with their support once and it was a pleasant experience. They apparently didn't have any more Vertex 3 Max IOPS left, so they gave me a Vertex 4 instead. The turnaround time was pretty quick as well.

I'll definitely keep an eye on what happens, especially anything support/warranty-wise. 4 of my 6 SSDs are OCZ, it would suck to have no warranty on any of them.

one vendor on new egg wants $500 for a 256gb drive ouch

Not only can you get a larger SSD for less it has a similarity in speed

OCZ 3.2TB PCI-E

$21,000 .. I think they lost a bearing or two

you could get 40 SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE1T0BW 2.5" 1TB for that price

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to trparky

to trparky
quote:
OCZ's revenue has been falling steeply in 2013, from $88.6 million in the second fiscal quarter of 2012 to $33.5 million in the second fiscal quarter of 2013, and OCZ's financial loses has been rising. OCZ has also been forced to take a $30 million loan at a steep 15% interest rate from Hercules Technology Growth Capital. Because OCZ put in their own firm as collateral for the loan, Hercules Technology Growth Capital will gain ownership of OCZ if OCZ fails to repay the loan.
»www.itworld.com/hardware ··· ast-legs

The sharks are circling...

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
Well, that's disappointing. My Vertex2 is still kicking and their SSDs showed at least some innovation to increase performance and stability. Wonder if this had something to do with the purchase of Indilinx and the failed Seagate deal. Guess its time to look at Samsung or Intel for my next upgrade.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Yeah well, it was all that time before the Vertex2 that tarnished their name.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I understand they had huge reliability problems, especially with the Vertex 1's and the Agility's. I have a Vertex 2 120GB (one of the few in a 3.5" form factor) that is still chugging away in my wife's VM machine.

pr1mo
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
Sad to see but my Vertex3 is still blazing along. When the time comes I'll switch this SSD out to another box and look into what will be the top performer then.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

SSDs have come a long away since the early days. Samsung, at the risk of sounding like a Samsung fanboy, I'll still say that they have been producing some amazing products.

Say what you will of the 840 Series (not EVO or PRO) being that it's cheap, it uses TLC NAND Flash, has less writes, etc. but it still is an amazing performer and has taken the SSD market by storm.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
I recall having very good treatment from OCZ's RMA people, I even have a T Shirt from them, somewhere. Sad. Look at the great ones that have fallen, Abit, DFI, IWill, Connor, BFG...

OCZ
The Former Pocket
join:2009-05-15
Saint Paul, MN

OCZ to trparky

to trparky
Uh oh...

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
Couple the Sandforce issues, unclear marketing on their SSDs/controllers, and high prices they are being badly beaten by the competition who can control NAND pricing/supply/technology.

I used to swear by OCZ for DDR2 RAM and USB keys. I also have a Vertex 2 but things have changed SO much since they were prominent and it doesn't seem like they can keep up.

It always seems like the greatest companies at one point just can't keep going. To be honest I have seen Mushkin more or less take over the market position OCZ had, and I've been purchasing and recommending their memory or just as long as I did OCZ during their prime.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by creed3020:

It always seems like the greatest companies at one point just can't keep going. To be honest I have seen Mushkin more or less take over the market position OCZ had, and I've been purchasing and recommending their memory or just as long as I did OCZ during their prime.

I preferred GSkill for my LGA1366 build, but went with Corsair for LGA1155. It really seems like Corsair is cresting the wave right now with solid PSUs, solid ram, good water coolers, amazing cases, etc.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
The sad part of this is that people's livelihoods are affected, workers losing jobs. Whenever I hear of something like this, my first thought is "oh the poor employees". There just no job security in the world any longer, sad.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

I have a Samsung SSD as well as a crucial ssd both have worked well with no problem's. Do u think crucial is going any where since the are owed by micron?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

At least you didn't make your avatar the OCZ logo. You'd need to change it.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Hey! Didn't that...

Oh, I hope the Sox win the series or...

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
LOL my avatar has been like this for over a year now 1st time some one said that to me about it.