All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
acr00
join:2013-10-19

acr00

How do I know if I have FTTN?

I am in north Waterloo, Bell tells me I cannot get any faster than 6Mbs service. However their online lockup tool (when using my neighbors addresses) shows tiers such as 25/10 available...

what's the deal?
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

You should call in to double check. The online tool is not always 100% up to date.

However if it is accurate, it's important to note that the wiring from your home to Bell's equipment doesn't necessarily take the same path as your neighbours. It's entirely possible that the the wiring feeding your neighbour's home is of a much more appropriate length compared to yours for faster speeds.
hogtownhog
join:2013-08-23
Toronto, ON

hogtownhog to acr00

to acr00
Where is your neighbour? House or apartment?

mega_fib
@bell.ca

mega_fib to acr00

Anon

to acr00
Depends on whether you live close to this... lol... but seriously, everything in Waterloo originates from 391 Albert Street, and then there's a myriad of remotes, so how far 'north' do you mean?

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to acr00

Premium Member

to acr00
I sent you a PM.
acr00

acr00 to mega_fib

to mega_fib
No further north than 391 Albert, I am about 5.9km from there. (Columbia/Keats way area)

When my bell DSL was originally installed I was told I was pretty close to a remote; "just down the street" was what the tech said. On my 6Mbs service i typically get 6Mbs, so I can't be that far away.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to acr00

to acr00
Bell refers to anything other than ftth as fttn even is its co fed. See of you qualify for fibe tv and then you'll know if you're really on a remote slam
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to acr00

to acr00
said by acr00:

However their online lockup tool (when using my neighbors addresses) shows tiers such as 25/10 available...

what's the deal?

In many cases, this is simply a database entry error: techs do the survey and forget/skip a street door or apartment number every now and then.
btech805
Canada

btech805

Or your neighbors are fed from a different jwi/opi and theirs is outfitted with remote slams and yours isnt.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by btech805:

Or your neighbors are fed from a different jwi/opi and theirs is outfitted with remote slams and yours isnt.

If the neighbor he is talking about is on the same side of the same city block, he should be on the exact same cable passing through the exact same JWIs/OPIs unless we are talking about MDUs large enough to get their own dedicated feed cables.
btech805
Canada

btech805

Not necessarily depends how far these "neighbors" are if they're right next door or on the same block then sure but what you think would make sense cabling wise isn't always what was done when the neighborhood was built
acr00

acr00

I'm in a house and my neighbors are about 8 feet away, maybe 7 in spots... I'm in your typical cookie-cutter sub division.

I figure it's one of three possibilities:

1) no one here can get VDSL - and the DB is wrong
2) everyone here can get VDSL - and the DB is wrong
3) I'm on a Bell blacklist and it's really just me!

To tell the truth I don't know much about the 'out side of my house' part of either cable or DSL.