Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2

[Business] What is the soft cap on Comcast starter business?

I'm wondering what the soft cap is for Comcast starter business class these days? IIRC it used to be about 1.5 to 2 TB per month, has it increased?
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
They have never really had a soft cap. Some areas where they had problems they may have enforced some sort of soft cap. But not really a soft cap per say. Since they have done the upgrades i dont think they even do that anymore.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pandora
Don't get me started on business caps... they claim they don't exist... but I'll just say this... we are right now moving to Comcast Enterprise because our multiple T-1 lines are oversaturated and our backup Comcast business class line was "used too much"....

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to pandora
there is no published cap, but there are weasel words in the AUP/TOS that allow comcast to declare your usage "excessive" for your tier.

Figuring 10-30% of max utilization should be completely safe, on the 17/4 bottom tier you have about 5.25TB of total data download available. So somewhere between .5 and 1.5TB is "safe" - at 2.5TB you're getting close to 50%, and at 4TB you're over 75% and definitely in the "um... maybe you need a higher tier" level.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to neufuse
said by neufuse:

Don't get me started on business caps... they claim they don't exist... but I'll just say this... we are right now moving to Comcast Enterprise because our multiple T-1 lines are oversaturated and our backup Comcast business class line was "used too much"....

How expensive is the lowest cost Comcast Enterprise tier. I see "contact a consultant" where price would be for other plans.
--

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

there is no published cap, but there are weasel words in the AUP/TOS that allow comcast to declare your usage "excessive" for your tier.

Figuring 10-30% of max utilization should be completely safe, on the 17/4 bottom tier you have about 5.25TB of total data download available. So somewhere between .5 and 1.5TB is "safe" - at 2.5TB you're getting close to 50%, and at 4TB you're over 75% and definitely in the "um... maybe you need a higher tier" level.

Thanks for the insight. I guess, if necessary, we could move up to the next small business tier. I tried to check the cost of a Comcast Enterprise tier, but it said "contact a consultant" where normally I'd expect to see a price.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

said by pandora:

said by JohnInSJ:

Thanks for the insight. I guess, if necessary, we could move up to the next small business tier. I tried to check the cost of a Comcast Enterprise tier, but it said "contact a consultant" where normally I'd expect to see a price.

the mid tier is 50mbit down, so that gets you 3x the speed and likely 3x the max utilization before someone gets interested.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

neufuse

James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pandora
you don't even want to know... we are paying about $1,800 a month for our 10Mbit symmetric fiber connection, which is cheaper then a bonded T-1 and includes PRI (phone) service (yes, Verizon was charging us $1,900 a month for a tri bonded t-1, and that doesn't even include the other T-1's we have for PRI circuits)... we had quotes all the way to 1Gbit, if you want to have a heart attack I can give you that number also :P it also has a $15k installation fee, which they waved for us since we signed a 3yr contract

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
Thanks for sparing me a heart attack. $15K install isn't even possible for me. I can imagine the monthly cost.

Guess if we start to use much over 1.5 TB we'll go to a higher tier of Comcast small business.
--

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

1 recommendation

reply to pandora
You can bypass those caps on all tiers by using a reseller of Comcast. Would be a bit more but you do not have any caps, etc.

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
said by TBBroadband:

You can bypass those caps on all tiers by using a reseller of Comcast. Would be a bit more but you do not have any caps, etc.

Who are Comcast resellers? Where would I find out about caps or lack of caps they have?
--

neufuse

James Creek, PA
that's not entirely true, resellers are subject to the same caps Comcast puts as they resell the service as Comcast service, not as a 3rd party service

depster

join:2001-06-07
united state
reply to pandora
See this forum for further discussion: »Enterprise services

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
Enterprise isnt the same, But i doubt the op is talking enterprise service. Enterprise is big bucks service and doesnt have any caps. I also dont think resellers have any changes in the toss. Years ago when they were partnered with earthlink they did. I dont think it applies anymore tho.