uniqs
spyknee
join:2007-11-30
Woodside, NY

1 edit

spyknee

No Data please.

Hello,
The question is, Can I activate my DINC, with 3G disabled, as a dumb phone?

I recently dropped the data plan, reactivating an old dumb phone. Hence cutting my cell bill by 50%. Hint Hint Verizon.
I have successfully rooted and installed Android 4.0.4. Everything works, the OS is snappy and the best its ever been. There is a mod that will remove the 3G radio function, leaving WiFi only and the radio functional.
I want to apply the mod, reactivate the DINC, and keep a data block on!
The old dumb phone I hate, the DINC is a way better phone. I just do not need the data plan, or texting.
TY

ps: never mind, mod stops cell radio. OS allows me to turn off 3G, enabling WiFi only. But that's not good enough for Verizon.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

said by spyknee:

Hello,
The question is, Can I activate my DINC, with 3G disabled, as a dumb phone?

I recently dropped the data plan, reactivating an old dumb phone. Hence cutting my cell bill by 50%. Hint Hint Verizon.
I have successfully rooted and installed Android 4.0.4. Everything works, the OS is snappy and the best its ever been. There is a mod that will remove the 3G radio function, leaving WiFi only and the radio functional.
I want to apply the mod, reactivate the DINC, and keep a data block on!
The old dumb phone I hate, the DINC is a way better phone. I just do not need the data plan, or texting.
TY

ps: never mind, mod stops cell radio. OS allows me to turn off 3G, enabling WiFi only. But that's not good enough for Verizon.

As soon as you activate a device it shows what phone it is.

I suggest you sign up with Page Plus it runs on VZW towers.
spyknee
join:2007-11-30
Woodside, NY

spyknee

I have been researching other providers. PagePlus among them.
Verizon's about to lose a cell customer due to excessive price gouging. I have satisfied all contractual obligations with Verizon, and since they have made their service policies quite clear, ...................................

Fact is Verizon, I do not need 3G/4G data services. However, the hardware that makes up a smartphone is infinitely better than a dumb phone. Radio reception, speaker clarity, microphone clarity is so much better that cell service demands the use of smartphone tech over dumb phone tech, for the most basic service, making phone calls.
If I choose to drive a Cadillac down a dirt road its my choice. I should not be forced to drive my Cadillac on a toll road for Cadillac's.
I do not care about what the supreme court ruled!
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

said by spyknee:

I have been researching other providers. PagePlus among them.
Verizon's about to lose a cell customer due to excessive price gouging. I have satisfied all contractual obligations with Verizon, and since they have made their service policies quite clear, ...................................

Fact is Verizon, I do not need 3G/4G data services. However, the hardware that makes up a smartphone is infinitely better than a dumb phone. Radio reception, speaker clarity, microphone clarity is so much better that cell service demands the use of smartphone tech over dumb phone tech, for the most basic service, making phone calls.
If I choose to drive a Cadillac down a dirt road its my choice. I should not be forced to drive my Cadillac on a toll road for Cadillac's.

That's fine for them I would assume.
Your best bet is to go with 39.99 Page Plus plan I think it includes 500mb data.

It should be perfect for some web browsing

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to spyknee

Premium Member

to spyknee
said by spyknee:

You do realize the reason why VZW is doing this, right? They are pushing people on smartphones with data plan requirements because that's where the money's at. Even you notice the advertisements, you don't see them pushing dumb phones. I'm pretty sure the dumb phones are crappy is to get people to "upgrade" to smart phone.