uniqs
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

tlbepson

Premium Member

[VOD] VOD fast forward check please?

Could someone do me a favor and check CBS VOD The Good Wife and/or Elementary--an episode within the last 2 weeks, more current the better--and see if you can fast forward the VOD episode?

I'm trying to figure out if the recent blocking fast forward functionality on CBS VOD programs on FiOSTV is being done by CBS--if Comcast CBS VOD is not blocking the fast forward option, I figure it's not CBS but Verizon mucking about with things.

Also, could you tell me where you are located--I'm in the DC Metro area (VA)...

Thanks!

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Just checked on the east coast, New Jersey/New York area and CBS is blocking the Fast Forward function. I've checked several episodes of The Good Wife, Elementary, Hawaii Five-O, and The Crazy Ones from two weeks ago, last week, and this week. There is a bumper on screen that says "While watching this show, Fast Forward and other functions may not be available."
obckilroy
join:2011-11-16

obckilroy to tlbepson

to tlbepson
Same thing on Time Warner, but it wasn't always the case

in Calif
@myvzw.com

in Calif to tlbepson

Anon

to tlbepson
Happens on U Verse in Calif too, NBC as well.
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

1 edit

tlbepson to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf

Thanks very much for checking everyone.

I was fairly certain that no VOD fast forward was on CBS' end but wanted to make sure. Not being able to fast forward the CBS VOD programs started just a couple of weeks ago--up until then, I had not problem using fast forward.

I find it really annoying. ABC and NBC also do not allow VOD fast forward. TNT VOD blocks fast forward for um...3-4 days (5?) and then allows fast forward so I just wait to watch a TNT program via VOD. ABC, NBC and now CBS VOD programs never allow fast forward--at least so far as I've found in testing.

As far as I'm concerned, this means that those broadcasters who never allow VOD fast forward don't care if they lose viewers. Yes, VOD does allow viewers to watch programming on the viewer's own schedule and for many people I'm sure that's the most important option but for me personally, it's not.

While I am interested in The Good Wife and Elementary and other programs, I'm not so interested that I'll put up with not being able to use fast forward when using VOD--I also don't like watching programs online. My option is to spend more money by either getting a cable company's dvr service or going with something like TiVo but I'm really not sure if that's not just throwing good money after bad.
rendrenner
join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

rendrenner to tlbepson

to tlbepson

Re: [VOD] VOD fast forward check please?

Yeah Comcast here in the western Mitten is the same way. Cannot FF or use the 5 Min skip. This is definitely new. I use CBS when demoing OnDemand all the time. I did also notice the other day that all of the CBS titles were about 8-10 minutes longer than they usually are. Must be due to the commercials back in.
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

tlbepson

Premium Member

>>rendrenner: This is definitely new

Yeah...definitely within the past couple of weeks. Verizon pushed through an stb/Guide update just around the same time so I wasn't sure who to blame. From browsing around online, it appears that CBS is intent on blocking any "outside" access to their programming--witness the CBS-TWC nastiness. Basically, I think CBS sees themselves as ma bell--"we're THE phone company, we don't have to care"...'-}}

FiOSTV VOD is pretty sucky compared to Comcast's but not so bad that I will be returning to Comcast anytime soon--I decided to add FiOSTV to my long standing FiOS broadband and phone to make a triple play and get a better rate...

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn to tlbepson

MVM

to tlbepson
You can FF in 5 minute chunks by using the Page Up button. You then use the regular rewind to get to the spot you want. I do this all the time. Beats watching the commercials. Page Down rewinds 5 minutes, BTW.
joejoejeo
join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

Most of the video on demand shows that don't do fast forward do rewind so why restrict fast forward but not rewind

PaulHikeS2
join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA

PaulHikeS2

said by joejoejeo:

Most of the video on demand shows that don't do fast forward do rewind so why restrict fast forward but not rewind

It's to protect the broadcaster's advertising revenue. If they restrict fast forward the commercials have to play - the advertisers cannot demand lower rates based on the assumtion that the viewers will skip the commercials. Rewind obviously does not create any problems for the advertisers.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to joejoejeo

Premium Member

to joejoejeo
At one point the content providers were trying to disable the ability to mute or change the volume during commercials.

Now with end-to-end digital restrictions management (DRM) in place, I suspect we will be seeing more and more of the content providers taking control of your remote control.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to PaulHikeS2

to PaulHikeS2
I've actually noticed that since they turned off all these fast forwarding abilities on demand the commercial blocks seem full length as if it was a broadcast recording.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool

Premium Member

I actually notice less commercials through VOD. Might be a channel by channel thing. Not speaking of locals but like, Walking Dead only has one or two commercials at a time but usually kind of related and not product related. ( Like COMIC BOOK MEN ads )

But really people- at what point did we think that networks were in the charity of creating great programming for free and not creating engaging programming to get be able to advertise to you? Most that have been through this song and dance have heard that Content only exists as filler between commercials.
If they offer their own "timeshifting" through making it available on On Demand or online then I guess its their right to disable FFW. I still DVR my Locals so I still FFW. If they ever disable FFW on my own recordings through Ill not only join but lead the revolt.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by CableTool:

But really people- at what point did we think that networks were in the charity of creating great programming for free and not creating engaging programming to get be able to advertise to you?

That was the same question asked when the content providers were trying to disable the mute and volume buttons on the remote during commercials.

Next they will want to prop open your eyelids and hold your head facing the TV, and prevent you from leaving the room.

PaulHikeS2
Fitchburg, MA

PaulHikeS2

said by camper:

That was the same question asked when the content providers were trying to disable the mute and volume buttons on the remote during commercials.

Next they will want to prop open your eyelids and hold your head facing the TV, and prevent you from leaving the room.

I didn't realize content providers were trying to do that or were stupid enough to think it can be done. First, the remote is a one way communications device. It is entirely upstream - it only sends information, it cannot receive. Second, volume functionality is through the television or the audio receiver. The cable box does not have the ability to raise the audio levels on your own device. Clearly if what you say is true the TV networks are not employing the best and the brightest.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by PaulHikeS2:

First, the remote is a one way communications device.

True.

The disabling of the remote and mute buttons would be done on the set-top box, i.e., the receiving end, not the remote itself.

Some installations have the volume controlled via the STB (or DTA), a variable level is fed to the TV from the STB, the TV sound level is kept constant.

Obviously, it would not work if the volume were controlled on the TV, as you note.

PaulHikeS2
Fitchburg, MA

PaulHikeS2

said by camper:

said by PaulHikeS2:

First, the remote is a one way communications device.

True.

The disabling of the remote and mute buttons would be done on the set-top box, i.e., the receiving end, not the remote itself.

Some installations have the volume controlled via the STB (or DTA), a variable level is fed to the TV from the STB, the TV sound level is kept constant.

Obviously, it would not work if the volume were controlled on the TV, as you note.

You are correct.

There was a time when converter boxes had variable volume control built in, but now it is virtually non-existant to the best of my knowlege. My experience is with Comcast and that functionality was disabled years ago for Motorola units: it may still be in place for SA converters. It was in place initially because there were plenty of TVs out there that were not remote control capable, requiring variable audio from the converter to allow remote control audio functionality.

AV setups that use that configuration at this time may still exist, but it would be in numbers that are statistically insignificant.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by PaulHikeS2:

There was a time when converter boxes had variable volume control built in, but now it is virtually non-existant to the best of my knowlege.

It's been a while since I've had a STB, but I suspect you are correct.

When I had a DTA a couple years ago, I vaguely remember the DTA having a configurable fixed / variable audio output. Or maybe it was my parent's DTA on their TimeWarner system. {shrug}

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

telcodad

MVM

said by camper:

When I had a DTA a couple years ago, I vaguely remember the DTA having a configurable fixed / variable audio output. Or maybe it was my parent's DTA on their TimeWarner system. {shrug}

Yes, before the DTA remote is programmed with a code to control the power and volume of a particular model of TV, the VOL +/- buttons will initially control the output volume of the DTA itself.

From the DTA's remote control user guide (»digitalnow.comcast.com/c ··· uide.pdf), in the section titled "Changing Volume Lock":
quote:
The Comcast DTA remote is [initially] setup to control the volume level of the DTA receiver. Once a valid TV code is programmed the volume keys will operate the volume of the TV.
As it says in that section, you can switch the "Volume Lock" mode between the DTA and TV by using the codes "9-9-3-1" and "9-9-3-2"

EDIT: Found a newer version of the DTA Remote Control User's Guide here: »cdn.comcast.com/~/Media/ ··· mote.pdf
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

tlbepson to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn

>>owlyn: You can FF in 5 minute chunks by using the Page Up button. You then use the regular rewind to get to the spot you want. I do this all the time. Beats watching the commercials. Page Down rewinds 5 minutes, BTW.

Unfortunately, the FiOS remote does not have a Page Up or Down buttons--the channel button is normally used to page up/down the Guide and it doesn't FF in 5 minute chunks as apparently the Comcast remote does. Thanks for mentioning it though so at least the Comcast users will know about it...'-}}