join:2010-10-23
New Orleans, LA

3 edits

U-Verse Help Please (Will work for IT)

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I have a screwy U-Verse setup that i need help with. I need help customized to my particular situation as I have tried too many times to extract info and take over threads that the creator has long left. Instead of me posting all kinds of info, can someone tell me what you need from me to help you help diagnose my situation. Am also looking to clarify what bridge taps are and how to locate them, are they visible to my RG and is there a page that will show how many there are if any? I am eligible for the highest Power Tier in my zip code 70123 New Orleans, LA. I according to the techs am less than 1,000 feet from the VRAD but lately have been showing varying distances up to 3,000 feet on UVRT and have all kinds of screwy red and yellow numbers where it once showed green or black. I have had techs out literally at least 5x and 3x of those were within a week of the first screwed up install and the message i seem to keep getting is that all my issues are the results of people and not service which is not encouraging. Anyway i will try to post a few posts following up w.more info and pics of my current UVRT stats but figured i would let the people in the know dictate what i post instead. Also, is this the best place to be posting or is the ATT forums best or what? I am in contact with a Social Media team manager currently again as well, i am kind of holding off on re-establishig contact with her until i have gained some knowledge as she isn't as knowledable as the last person and the next tech that comes out i would like to be the last and i think supposedly the "head tech" is going to be coming out himself as the last "senior Tech/T3?" was completely flabbergasted as to why i was having trouble after he fixed couple "minor issue" & he basically got things to where i was able to get my speed on a speed test and that was his final goal. I would like to switch over to the 45MBps tier but would think it would be best to get this all fixed first right? Exhausted with all of this to be honest, it has not been what it should be since day 1 and unfortunately i gave up contact with someone very high up (well above the social media team managers) at one point when i was hospitalized and haven't reached someone as knowledgable since, i basically gave up and here we are a year later.

Can Anyone tell me how to move the pics below the post or is it only showing up like that for me?

FiveZeroFour

New Orleans, LA
Reserved for updates

FiveZeroFour

New Orleans, LA

2 edits
reply to FiveZeroFour
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here is another stats pic showing when there are less errors/red stats....I've also noticed for instance on the noise margin i can show a higher number thats black or a lower number thats red....not sure what the logic there is. I literally have hundreds upon hundreds of UVRT pics, i always take one of each tab together if i take a single one to ensure i am capturing the whole "picture" for when i finally lost it and sought help and the streams tab i usually take with it as well to show what the "load" on the line is at the time of the other pics ,as you can see in OP all those are taken with only one or two channels on and both are SD.

And below that is another yet again, my distance can be 1700 or 3200 (but the techs always say i am in reality less than 1,000) and my "max rate" was at one point 52,000 and currently seems to go from 38k to a max of about 49k

reply to FiveZeroFour
Definitely outside line issue with big dip 800 am to about 1200 am, most often associated with bridge tap, line splits going in different direction, easiest is think of arm with four fingers. The fingers represent different paths to take, now if just used pointer finger with rest folded in, only one path.
So as an example, if drop feed (arm) enters NID, with multiple wires from NID to four phone jacks in house all on same pair, works great for providing phone signal to multiple locations.
Uverse wants a single path, no extra wires going anywhere or nowhere, which in effect are acting as antennas picking up other signals adding to noise on line, in addition to providing alternative path for signal making the overall loop length (distance) longer.
SN margin or ratio is signal strength relative to background noise seen. A number of things can add noise to a line, some controllable (treadmill) some not (thunder storm). This noise is generally referred to as interference, for a possible list of suspects »adslm.dohrenburg.net/troubleshoo···ence.php

Additionally you have several comb pattern in your graph, possible RG failing after being beat up by your environment.

If techs keep telling you 1000 feet or less to VRAD, where is this from, if from NID, sounds as if issue(s) inside home, your wiring is ca5 and not quad, straight home run (direct) to RG, jack replaced and NID has been updated and grounded.
If tech is measuring from terminal, possible issue may be with drop, needs replaced or pair swap.

Your in New Orleans, possible outside plant damage from Katrina and salt water?

To see someone in Cali with somewhat similar issue(s) »forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-H···e#M38018

Hope some of this clarify but agree would not try to do bonded pair till at least get the one pair stable.

FiveZeroFour

New Orleans, LA
Click for full size
4 months ago
Thank you! Here is a Bitloading screen shot from early on i believe before the new drop was installed and when we were on the 25/2 profile but i am not sure, just showing it in a different state. This extreme errors stuff is actually relatively new and was a result of the last "repair" so i can now see its going to likely take first fixing this set of issues then waiting and starting all over assuming the first set is still there if that makes any sense.

What i know: The first install was done wrong but was rectified when someone came out to "run a new drop" because the first one used old wiring and I also know that at that time a single Bridged tap was removed and according to that tech (who imo was more knowledgable than any other) and the tech support over the phone that was the only bridged tap they could "see". Now that helped a great deal and the service "appeared" to be in order....all of my numbers etc were good and my issues were all due to the whacky way the guy setup our internal setup like placing the RG far on the rear of the house and using an access point to feed the other side and the wireless receiver for TV and none of that got along well. Also we had what seemed like our TV streams feeding far too much on our internet, any SD OR HD stream took a direct chunk of our available bandwidth. They sent a replacement RG for some unknown reason a few months back & a few days later sent a tech out & in fixing all that we got new issues on top of the old with all of this stuff and that tech was saying all his numbers looked good & my numbers weren't this bad at first but they continued to degrade over a couple of weeks to this point which i had never seen them at before. I know my service is capable of being great its just always got something neutering it. I guess i just need to have the "head tech" guy come out i just really wanted to take advantage of him properly and get the max benefit from him and to do that i felt like i really needed a better handle on what exactly is going on.

Also lets say he gets me up and running to the point of where we were before, is there anything that would explain why my receivers were vamping off my internet? What do you suggest i do as my next step?

By all accounts there is not too much noise by the measurements taken when the techs are plugging into every single phone jack and putting tags on them etc. The red numbers are a new phenomenon, everything before seemed to be after the RG. The box on the back of my house is only about 100 feet from the pole & what i thought was the drop so i assume the distance both from NID and drop shouldn't be much different.
from what i understand there was a new drop and from there a "direct home run" to the RG only thing inbetween is a wall jack (1) and thats it.

I am in new orleans technically by zip code but flooding wasnt an issue in my area and I am also technically in Jefferson Parish (county) not Orleans Parish.....its slightly crazy and was done for "wealth reassignment" purposes but there was really minimal damage in my area from Katrina and any minor flooding was certainly not salt water. My line rate is usuallly around 50Mbps down on the single drop "pair". I guess if i am going to have this head tech guy come out I want him around or giving orders for the install of a 45Mbps tier so can he do that via my verbal request or does it have to be set up before he is here to even allow him to do that? I asked the social media manager about that and she just wasnt sure and said lets get one thing taken care of but i dont want this guy (he is the boss of the last few T3 techs that came out) to come and fix everthing only to have it all undone in a few days by the next guy, any advice for that?

Many questions, first to the best of my knowledge, N.O. received Uverse late 2009 or early 2010, so the most experienced tech, if there from the beginning can only have 4 years....in Uverse this is a long time, in our garage 60 techs, only 2 since the beginning in 2006, 75% less than 2 years (45 techs) with half of those less than a year.
A good tech who understands, can have less than 8 months and be as good as those with longer time, but the best are outside line (old telephone,dsl techs) with 10-25 years experience who can actually work further than the pole, but they are not uverse but CIM.

The plant is outside and can be exposed to many different items that can affect your service, examples includes squirrels chewing on cables, mice builting nests in ground boxes (terminals, vrads), hornets in terminals or NID.
People difging cutting and nicking cables that allow moisture when rains (remember water is conductive).
The uverse tech is limited where he work in the outside plant and what testing he can do on those lines, a lineman does not have those limitations. Therefore a Uverse Prem tech or wire tech in your case (old BellSouth) can basically check inside wiring, NID, drop to terminal, anything behind or beyond the terminal falls to CIM.

Concerning bandwidth, Uverse is shared amoung your services ordered, voip has highest importance, followed by tv and last internet. If previously on 25M profile with 18M internet anything over watching or recording 1 HD channel was going to take from internet. As an HD stream uses about 6M and SD about 2M, if watch and/or record 2 HD (25-6-6=13, allow for 90% of 13 gives about 11.5M would see, if using 3 HD feeds drop to less than 6M. This is covered in the uverse terms of service agreement found here »www.att.com/shop/internet/att-in···ice.html
As your profile was raised to 32M tv still affect internet speeds but now can use 2 HD before seeing any impact. This will also be the case if move to power tier 45M internet...55M profile more than 2 HD will impact speeds.

Upgrade is scheduled as an install, normally 2-3 weeks from time order is placed. I would not expect anything more.

FiveZeroFour

New Orleans, LA
yes that is correct timing around 2009 was the first time. The guy i was speaking of that seemed knowledgable was a Line Tech that had served many roles with the company and basically "retired" to U-Verse installing and he was the father of a guy i went to high school with and came out at one tim 10 years ago as well when we were testing a "Bellsouth Americast" sattelite + DSL internet package deal. We do have squirrels galore out here....my neighbors have 45 tier and their INID is about 30 feet from mine....i know its hard to judge anything based on such statements.

As far as bandwith when i was on the 25/2 profile i only had 12Mbps internet and only got 18 when upped to 32/5 profile. Your numbers for stream size coincides with my testing but from the best i can tell the bulk of the problem came from a poor inside setup which had the "wireless receiver" plugged into a switch which was plugged into a WAP which was directly connected to the RG across the house and the RG treated it like it was taking directly from the internet bandwidth and halted all internet traffic wirelessly as well.

As far as upgrade goes so how would i best ensure that the "head tech" that social media team is trying to set me up with to test and repair my setup is here and overseeing the upgrade procedure....or is that just not feasible?

Concerning upgrade....
It is extremely rare that a tech will be pre assigned for an install.
Normal is start of day, load truck hit the dispatch button, get the next job in the pool that qualify for within region.
Example 9-11 install, any tech that works in your area can pick up that job from the tech who is first week on his own after completion of 9 weeks training to most senior tech, luck of the draw.
Once tech is on site and has issues, depending on issue, may call and request for CIM tech for outside line issue, manager for question or support or another tech for assistance (generally big installs 7-8 box, or hang drop over major street, to block traffic).

May get two techs out, if this happens then either
1) one of techs is in ride (observation) week, week 3 of training after completing pole climbing and safety, to determine if this is the type of work they want to do. Many will assist is basic function, pulling cable and such but not yet trained on actual install procedures
2) tech has completed 7 weeks of classroom training and receives two weeks of supervised rides.
The new tech does the work under the supervision of a T3 senior tech, the senior tech is normally a lead tech but not guaranteed.

As your install is just an upgrade not a full install, the only real expected issue is outside line.
A second pair is assigned to your account, new jumper(s) installed at cross box, at serving terminal the drop is attached to new binding post assignment, at NID new protector installed for 2nd line and attached. Either new cat5 home run if not already installed, or rewire jack for 2nd pair, install new RG, update RG, run tests.

There would not be a need for a supervisor to watch over the installation.

FiveZeroFour

New Orleans, LA
Ok great thanks, having a understanding on a basic level of whats going on certainly helps with the planning and setting of expectations and goals. Sound like i just need to have someone come out again and get the line issues straight after which point the upgrade can be done.