spc
Search similar:

uniqs
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

coolant question

so I have a 2013 sonata and the coolant reservoir was low and the owners manual says to use (ethylene glycol base for aluminum radiator) which looks like an off green color. so I went and bought some Zerex Asian Vehicle Antifreeze / Coolant that says is compatible

»www.oreillyauto.com/site ··· pt=C0059

how ever I noticed that went toping off the reservoir it was more like a off orange color then green that was already in the car. will this be an issue or is it ok as long as they are both ethylene glycol base for aluminum radiator?

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

Usually Dex Cool, which is an orange color, should never be mixed with normal green colored coolant. You'll have some major problems down the road.

I'm not 100% certain about that Zerex stuff.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to m8trix

to m8trix
Zerex is Dex Cool hence the Orange color, the color is meant to be a warning as the two should not be mixed. Every Dex Cool system I've owned has been flushed to Green soon after.

AFAIK the Sonata uses plain old green anti-freeze 50:50, but now that you've mixed the two you need to flush the system and replace new.
m8trix
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

I wish the would be more specific in the owners manual cause all it says is to use ethylene glycol base for aluminum radiator and the zerex said the same thing and was HOAT rated. so being it's bad to mix the color my next quest is since there was about 12oz poured in the existing green stuff into the reservoir only and driven only a half mile and I drained the reservoir as soon as you guys said not to mix do you think I still need a flush or just to top off the reservoir with the correct coolant as the top of the Rad still shows that bright emerald green color and not the brown that was in the reservoir when it was mixed?
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to m8trix

to m8trix
Being a 2013, shouldn't the dealer be doing this for free for you under bumper to bumper? Why was it low in the first place?
m8trix
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

warranty only covers a leak, there is no leak it was just the reservoir was at the low levels and the reservoir has a evap port so I know it will drop over time and it has been about 4k miles since my last oil change at the dealer. so being that its so hot in phx im pretty sure it just got low from evaporation

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by m8trix:

warranty only covers a leak, there is no leak it was just the reservoir was at the low levels and the reservoir has a evap port so I know it will drop over time and it has been about 4k miles since my last oil change at the dealer. so being that its so hot in phx im pretty sure it just got low from evaporation

That flat out shouldn't happen. You shouldn't be adding coolant after 4,000 miles. Point blank. Something's wrong.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to m8trix

to m8trix

Well first off, nearly every reply you have read here is incorrect. That Zerex product is NOT Dex-Cool, or even close. Dex-Cool is Phosphate-free, and the product you purchased and added to the system *does* contain Phosphates (which is what HOAT indicates) and also does NOT contain the chemical "plasticizer" known as "2-EHA" so you are just fine mixing it with the green coolant.

Nothing has to be flushed, changed or anything else, and no one will take your birthday away either. Different manufacturers all have their reasoning for color use, and that stuff I believe is more of a violet than orange anyway.

As far as having to add coolant, that is absolutely not unusual at all. Sometimes the factory fill gets some air entrapped, and once it clears it will draw coolant from the recovery tank and you need to top it off to the mark again. Nothing wrong about that at all, *unless* you find yourself doing it on an on-going basis.

So relax, breath a little, and don't worry.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by mattmag:

As far as having to add coolant, that is absolutely not unusual at all. Sometimes the factory fill gets some air entrapped, and once it clears it will draw coolant from the recovery tank and you need to top it off to the mark again. Nothing wrong about that at all, *unless* you find yourself doing it

Shouldn't that be caught during PDI?

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag

said by dennismurphy:

Shouldn't that be caught during PDI?

Yes, for sure, but remember the vehicles have very few miles put on them after being received and going through the PDI process. It can take several good heating and cooling cycles of the engine to clear air from the system, so it isn't always going to show up before delivery.
m8trix
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

well I returned from the dealer and they flushed and add new coolant for $123 but in the process of being there and telling me that while it is normal for reservoir to loose some coolant over time since its not a completely sealed system they did find that the radiator cap was not holding pressure(was around 7PSI and should be between 13-17psi) and replaced that under the warranty

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag

That's unfortunately the result of people giving advice who shouldn't be... Sorry to hear that.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

On the subject of coolant (and not having to start a new thread). My VW requires G12 coolant. The motor I am getting ready to put in the car (used) had what looked like regular green coolant. I'm going to flush the the motor as best as I can, but should I/can I just use regular coolant, or should I spring for the G12 stuff that VW recommends?

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

said by neonhomer:

On the subject of coolant (and not having to start a new thread). My VW requires G12 coolant. The motor I am getting ready to put in the car (used) had what looked like regular green coolant. I'm going to flush the the motor as best as I can, but should I/can I just use regular coolant, or should I spring for the G12 stuff that VW recommends?

G12 is a very bright pink/red phosphate free coolant. It is a expensive coolant. If you are replacing the engine I would flush the entire system and put a regular phosphate free coolant in. It would be cheaper. Or stick with the g-12. But it has to be phosphate free, or it could cause abnormal corrosion.

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA

rjackson to neonhomer

to neonhomer
I would stick with the G12. It's all I run in my '82 Rabbit, and my Audi.