RARPSL to t0ny

to t0ny

Re: New Firmware- TM822G

said by t0ny :

Thank you, so I have MODEL: TM802G
It shows:

Firmware Name: TS070365A_120610_MODEL_7_8
Firmware Build Time: Mon Dec 6 15:51:26 EST 2010

So I guess these are not being updated??

You might want to go to your local CV Storefront and ask to swap your TM802G for a TM822G. Once you get it, you can check what level it has and if it still has an old level, it will automatically get updated (or you can call Tech Support for a manual push of the update since it may not spot your new modem since it already did the push cycle for your node).

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

The 802G is a 8x4 modem, isn't it? Why would you exchange it just to get a firmware update - for a completely different model?
root
join:2002-12-11

root to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
Are we really making threads over modem firmware? It's not that serious and no firmware update is going to drastically change anything. With threads like these you'd think this was an Apple forum or something.

Booost
@151.190.40.x

Booost to RARPSL

Anon

to RARPSL
said by RARPSL:

You might want to go to your local CV Storefront and ask to swap your TM802G for a TM822G.

Why? That makes no sense at all.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

1 recommendation

RARPSL

said by Booost :

said by RARPSL:

You might want to go to your local CV Storefront and ask to swap your TM802G for a TM822G.

Why? That makes no sense at all.

The original question (by the TM802G user) was if his 3 year old firmware was going to get updated. I suggested that if he swapped for a TM822G (which had 2 year old firmware) he would then get the current (ie: 2013 version) firmware. I do not know what was fixed/added in the new TM822G firmware and if the 2011 TM822G firmware was feature compatible with the 2010 TM802G firmware. If they were and the new TM822G firmware was for TM822G-Only features (the Telephone or Battery support or whatever the difference between the 802 and 822 is) then this swap is not needed unless the 822 is a "better" modem in and of itself.
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard

Arris releases unified firmware for entire product families - as the name of the firmware shows, this is the "7" and "8" series in this case: TM7xx and TM8xx.

You can be rather certain that CV will upgrade all models to the new firmware over time, but if you think they're going to do it for all customers in just a day or two, you don't understand even general business risk management principles.

Elite
Kiss My Ass
join:2002-10-03
New Haven, CT
Synology RT2600ac
TP-Link TC-7650
ARRIS SB8200

Elite to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
Just a shot in the dark: probably better IPv6 support.

Listen to the cablewizzard See Profile. The TM802 will likely get updated eventually.

I personally thought about swapping out my 802 for an 822. The 822 is smaller and desk space is expensive real estate.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1

said by Elite:

Listen to the cablewizzard See Profile. The TM802 will likely get updated eventually.

Like my TM822 hasn't been updated? maybe I do something really foolish and see how many days/weeks/months it takes for it to get any update.

If there was no need for an update, then an update would not have been developed. There is obviously a reason for the update, since there supposedly has been one. I sort of doubt it would have been for IPv6 support. Home users wouldn't have much need for it.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

How did you manage a week ago? My guess is just fine.

The frenzy continues!!!!

momcat1
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1

Na

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

Actually, after four days and some hours, there is one thing I've noticed-no uncorrectables:

Booost
@optonline.net

1 recommendation

Booost

Anon

Maybe they added this change:

for (chan=1; chan<=8; ++chan)
uncorrectables[chan] = 0;
ameridian
join:2013-06-23
Paterson, NJ

ameridian to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:

Actually, after four days and some hours, there is one thing I've noticed-no uncorrectables:

I monitor the Arris status screen almost on a daily basis and take screen shots using a print screen program when I see something interesting. Something strange happened around 10/8...There was a great big storm, tornado warnings, flash floods, the works and after that the downstream power levels increased by about 2 dBmV on all 8 channels and I haven't seen any uncorrectables since then.

Before that I would see 6 figure uncorrectables in just a few days after FEC counters reset. It wasn't the firmware upgrade since I just got that a few days ago. What I did notice after the upgrade was a change in the correcteds distribution so they may have indeed made some changes connected with EC.

momcat1
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
No uncorrectables? That would be truly extraordinary - and an update worth getting.
Here's our details since last Saturday:

Oh, and no, we have no gotten a FW update yet.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

Sorry but mine have been zero since 8 channel roll out
Nothing to do with firmware update

RARPSL
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to momcat1

to momcat1
You might want to use the Zero Counters button and see what happens. Those counts might be residual and not incrementing (if a fix went into effect that eliminates them by making sure errors get corrected).
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
Firmware will not result in correctables or uncorrectables. momcat1 surely has some rf issues that need to be addressed.

Booost
@optonline.net

Booost

Anon

said by frdrizzt:

momcat1 surely has some rf issues that need to be addressed.

We all know that, but she prefers to simply complain about Cablevision instead of initiating action to have the problems fixed.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to momcat1

to momcat1
Only a truck roll will solve your problems. Not a firmware update. But I'm sure you already know that.

momcat1
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to RARPSL

to RARPSL
Nope. New uncorrecteds within 2 minutes of resetting counters. About what I have seen before
momcat1

momcat1 to limegrass69

to limegrass69
A truck roll here always turns into 5 or 6 truck rolls and over a month to actually resolve anything. If it's something I can resolve myself, I would much rather do that. I'm just exploring everything short of a truck roll first.

RARPSL
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to momcat1

to momcat1
said by momcat1:

Nope. New uncorrecteds within 2 minutes of resetting counters. About what I have seen before

That is a good test. Both count numbers were very high so they represented a long time use of the modem (and unless you kept track of the numbers it would be hard to see if the counter was being updated). Now you can see what is occurring. Do you have the new or old microcode? I have the new code but see no uncorrected counts and very low corrected counts. I do not remember if I was seeing uncorrected counts before the update.
ameridian
join:2013-06-23
Paterson, NJ

ameridian to limegrass69

to limegrass69
said by limegrass69:

Only a truck roll will solve your problems. Not a firmware update. But I'm sure you already know that.

Does CV even consider high levels of uncorrectables a real issue in the absence of anything else? I'm guessing that the first thing they'll ask a client complaining about uncorrectables is what problems are they experiencing.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Uncorrectables are from a connection standpoint, ie your computer or your router, a lost packet. While I do not know exactly what call in tech support would say, I know that those in the Direct forum know that a high uncorrectable percentage is a problem. In fact the first time I ever heard about uncorrectables being a problem, was from a CV VP of engineering who used to post in this forum.
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard to ameridian

to ameridian
said by ameridian:

said by limegrass69:

Does CV even consider high levels of uncorrectables a real issue in the absence of anything else? I'm guessing that the first thing they'll ask a client complaining about uncorrectables is what problems are they experiencing.

Nail on the head. High uncorrectables cause packet loss, which is much easier to diagnose for them than anything else - and packet loss (once you go over 2-3%) can cause a significant loss of speed for all services (downloads, complex web pages with many dozens of embedded objects as they're common today, and non-speedy navigation (loss of DNS lookup traffic) between sites).

These counters do not indicate a percentile of packets corrupted, only an absolute count, which makes them pretty much impossible to gauge - to do a real test, you'd have to send+receive a certain amount of time (and count packets generated in+out), and then gage the correcteds/uncorrectable counts between the start and end of that test. That, to the best of my knowledge, CV reps are not currently enabled to do.

Well, look at mine:
ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PacketCable 1.5 Touchstone Telephony Modem
HW_REV: 2
VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
BOOTR: 1.2.1.46
SW_REV: 7.5.93
MODEL: TM802G

momcat1: There for me already. voila. Patience is a virtue. You could always post your MAC address and hope someone at CV reads it and does a pity-upgrade on you
if that's your counters after say: only a week since you last power-cycled your modem, AND you are experiencing slow or intermittent Internet service, please call in for service, as painful as you perceive that at this point.
Qualified techs should see these errors with their DOCSIS testers over a period of a few minutes, unless the problem is highly intermittent (e.g.: occurs for a few minutes every hour, then not for an extended period of time). If your problem continues to be unresolved and you already have a history of repeat truck rolls several times a year, you may call in a corporate complaint - the call center will give you the number to call. Be aware that doing so may get your call-in and truck-roll history scrutinized in detail, so I'd recommend not going that route if your complaint is superfluous and nothing but hot air, but I'd never accuse you of that, it's merely a warning for others not to go that route right after the 1st or 2nd truck roll gone wrong - you really have to be suffering repeat loss of service here.

tmpchaos: did you previously (with 7.3.123 firmware) accumulate uncorrectables at a steady rate, but since the upgrade to 7.5.93 they are gone? If that is the case, and it's not mere coincidence, I'd chalk that up as a good reason for CV to upgrade the firmware - remember: don't touch it if it's not broken, there's always a reason for such work to be performed, and it'd never get done if there was 0 return/reasons to do so.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

Click for full size
It's showing some now, but I'd say the percentage is much lower than before the upgrade.

momcat1
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to RARPSL

to RARPSL
Microcode? I don't know what that is, or how to find out.

As I stated, that snapshot was for 1 week of use.
momcat1

momcat1 to cablewizzard

to cablewizzard
I usually save truck roll service requests for when the tap on the pole dies. That's usually every 3 years, like clockwork. But then, our service is in much worse shape.

On a lighter note, I'm home today, and someone new is moving in behind our house. Opt came out to install them around 2 PM. I went out to the kitchen a little while ago, and they are still there, but now they have 3 trucks, and are working by headlight. It's a shame, for sure. But that's the kind of stuff that happens when I get a truck roll.
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31 to TheWiseGuy

to TheWiseGuy
said by TheWiseGuy:

While I do not know exactly what call in tech support would say

TS: "UncorrWhat, now?"
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to cablewizzard

to cablewizzard
A while back, high uncorrectable/s were a preamble to CV reassigning frequencies (just prior to the major update everyone had over the summer). Keep in mind that unless you experience re-producible problems they will push this off for as long as they can. CV alleges that it is too many customers on a node pinning the upstream on the same frequencies (which they allege upstream abuse, but it REALLY is LINE NOISE & node balancing issues 50% at the head-end, 50% at the node to replace possible faulty amplifier/repeater equipment). The recent upgrades SHOULD have corrected 99% of these but it is possible the rollout fixes & rebalancing are still underway in limited places.