uniqs
share rss forum feed

gdtrfb

join:2002-05-17
San Diego, CA

[Connectivity] Using SBG6580 on Suddenlink

From the Modem Compatibility List on
»help.suddenlink.com/internet/Pag···ct=Modem

The Motorola SBG6580 is not listed. Can I use this modem with Suddenlink in Mammoth Lakes, CA?

Thanks,
Dan

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2

As long as the modem is Docsis compatible, you can use the modem. If it's not on the list, SL won't provide any support for it and there likely won't be any firmware updates pushed out for you.

gdtrfb

San Diego, CA

Thanks for the reply. You bring up a good point about firmware and Support. I'd like to BUY a modem that has WiFi. I'm told Suddenlink only sells modems w/o WiFi.

Q: Can you suggest a Docsis 3.0 Modem with Wifi that Suddenlink supports?

Thanks,
Dan Foxley

moldypickle

Haughton, LA

I would STRONGLY suggest against getting a combo modem. They are tougher to troubleshoot and not worth the money in my opinion. You'd be FAR better looking at a Docsis 3 modem and router separate.

gdtrfb

San Diego, CA

Good call, I'll take your advice.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA

If you'd like any suggestions on separate units, I'd need to know your budget primarily.

gdtrfb

San Diego, CA

I'm gonna go with the Motorola SB6120 modem, and will either go with a Linksys or Netgear router. Possibly use a Ubqt APN that I have laying around.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA

That should work pretty well for you! I personally stay away from Linksys anymore these days, but have never tried out that APN you have listed there either. Best of luck with your setup.