spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ugly Green

@videotron.ca

Feedback on Non-reg'd posts

Seems that the avatar (or icon) for non-reg'd posts are an ugly green now?

I had to have an extra coffee this morning because of it. I think I may also have had a seizure or two.

Bright ugly green.

But hey, at least it's not bright ugly pink or yellow.

hurts my eyes.

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
I like this one instead.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Ugly Green
Actually it would appear that anons are assigned a random avatar that stays consistent throughout a single thread. It helps to track an individual user's posts in a discussion.

Ugly Green

@videotron.ca
reply to Ugly Green

Different graphic and pink
I just noticed some other non-reg'd people have a different colour and graphic. I did indeed see a pink (ew).

What gives with the different colours and different graphics?

IP based? Geography based? Random (though it can't be random as all mine are green and I noticed someone else pink).

A way for mod/ VIP/Other to distinguish different people based on the colour and the different graphic??

I feel very tracked all of a sudden. Don't think I like it.

Can I opt-out?

Ugly Green

@videotron.ca
reply to pike
said by pike:

Actually it would appear that anons are assigned a random avatar that stays consistent throughout a single thread. It helps to track an individual user's posts in a discussion.

Nope. It isn't random. Stays with me in other threads.

Appears to be "assigned to me". A unique colour and unique graphic.

Diff non-reg'd people appear (even on the same ISP) to also be getting a unique colour and graphic. So it isn't ISP specific. As far as I can tell, this marks a unique individual. No different than a web-bug or tracking beacon.

I don't recall this in the privacy policy at all. Maybe they change privacy policy, lemme look...

"DSLR uses a cookie to identify you with your registration details, and to track user trends and patterns."

Nope, I don't have cookies enabled. Yet i'm still being tracked.

If the change involves a reduction in privacy protection of any kind, a notice will be posted to our site help forum explaining the change. Since the inception of DSLR and the first version of the privacy policy, no such change has been made.

Nope, no such "notice" exists. Guess it will be the first time a change is being made and announced.

Yup, I don't like this much at all.

Opt-out pls. TY.

Weirdal
Premium
Grand Island, NE
said by Ugly Green :

said by pike:

Nope. It isn't random. Stays with me in other threads.

Appears to be "assigned to me". A unique colour and unique graphic.

Diff non-reg'd people appear (even on the same ISP) to also be getting a unique colour and graphic. So it isn't ISP specific. As far as I can tell, this marks a unique individual. No different than a web-bug or tracking beacon.

I don't recall this in the privacy policy at all. Maybe they change privacy policy, lemme look...

"DSLR uses a cookie to identify you with your registration details, and to track user trends and patterns."

Nope, I don't have cookies enabled. Yet i'm still being tracked.

If the change involves a reduction in privacy protection of any kind, a notice will be posted to our site help forum explaining the change. Since the inception of DSLR and the first version of the privacy policy, no such change has been made.

Nope, no such "notice" exists. Guess it will be the first time a change is being made and announced.

Yup, I don't like this much at all.

Opt-out pls. TY.

It appears to be generating a avatar using your ip as a seed every time you post, so there's no tracking going on.

I think it's pretty brilliant. Much easier than having to look at the @videotron.ca on each of your posts to identify you.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

Ugly Green

@videotron.ca
said by Weirdal:

I think it's pretty brilliant. Much easier than having to look at the @videotron.ca on each of your posts to identify you.

@videotron.ca didn't identify me. There are many non-reg'd users on Videotron who are not reg'd. Including a BELL VIP in Montreal who frequents here.

But now... Now I am ID'd as a unique person. So are all other non-reg'd people.

I don't think it's brilliant at all. It's only brilliant to those who must have complained about the need to tell who is who (as if they have a legit *need*).

Not impressed at all. Doesn't sit with me.

Not_Anon_Now

@comcast.net

2 recommendations

Perhaps this is Justin's answer to those registered members who did not agree with the site's pseudo open door policy to "anonymous" posters?

If so, then it is not very effective. I just went back and looked at several of my old "anonymous" posts, and the selected icon and color don't match the one selected for this post. In fact, in several of the threads where I have made multiple posts, there are different icons/colors for each post. While I do sometimes post from different systems (which sometimes do have different IP addresses), I don't think that each of those posts were made from different IP addresses (but wihout access to this site's server logs, I can't be sure of that).

There is BTW a very effective "opt-out" available if you don't like the new "anonymous" icon policy...don't post on this site anymore.

shrugs

@videotron.ca
said by Not_Anon_Now :

There is BTW a very effective "opt-out" available if you don't like the new "anonymous" icon policy...don't post on this site anymore.

Yup. I guess that is what it will have to be.

Weirdal
Premium
Grand Island, NE
reply to Ugly Green
said by Ugly Green :

@videotron.ca didn't identify me. There are many non-reg'd users on Videotron who are not reg'd. Including a BELL VIP in Montreal who frequents here.

It does identify you in this thread, where none of those people have posted, and you've used a different name in different posts. Now I can tell at a glance which posts are by the same person and it's easier to follow conversations thanks to the unique avatars.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

Not_Anon_Now

@comcast.net
reply to Not_Anon_Now
said by Not_Anon_Now :

I just went back and looked at several of my old "anonymous" posts, and the selected icon and color don't match the one selected for this post. In fact, in several of the threads where I have made multiple posts, there are different icons/colors for each post. While I do sometimes post from different systems (which sometimes do have different IP addresses), I don't think that each of those posts were made from different IP addresses (but wihout access to this site's server logs, I can't be sure of that).

Rather than looking at prior posts (where I could not be sure from which PC/IP address the posts were made), I just did a new test in the dev/null forum: »(post #28756913 no longer exists)

And since threads in that forum have a temporary life, I made a screen shot of the results:

That dev/null test seemed to indicate that even if the "anonymous" pseudonym changed, the icon/color remained the same if the IP address changed. This post seems to confirm that even if the IP address changes, the icon/color stays the same if the "anonymous" pseudonym remains the same (I am making this post from a different PC/IP address from my previous post in this thread).

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet
I was hoping that it would be associated with your IP address unless you enter an email address, however this appears not to be the case, it does seem keyed from your handle.

Which is preferable?

anyone can enter any anon handle they like so they can steal "your" image. An IP address is more stable. An email address is secret.

hmm

@videotron.ca
Do it by handle. I don't like to stick to the same nick nor do I like to be tracked in such fashion.

If I decide to stay with a same handle in a certain topic, then I do consciously. It's a conscious decision to do so.

If I wanted something stable I would reg.

So instead of doing it by IP do it by handle/nick

TY.

Also, while playing with this in the same forum and topic as the guy above, I noticed diff screen resolutions will cause a colour change on the graphic bound to me. I tried 3 diff machines, each of which had diff resolutions and each gave the same graphic, but diff colour. How strange is that? So if I were to do a screen shot of a DSL page on one machine then on another one, one could track the machine I was on just based on colour. Don't think I like that either. Rather intrusive.

But, that is just my opinion, and i'm just a worthless non-reg'd person.

to add

@videotron.ca
reply to justin
said by justin:

anyone can enter any anon handle they like so they can steal "your" image. An IP address is more stable. An email address is secret.

If a non-reg wanted stability to a graphic they could reg.

You make it sound like IRC where a non-reg'd person is scared to lose his/her nick. Non-reg'd people don't really want or care about "stability in an image" or a handle, obviously. Or they would reg.

Also, it is bound to IP right now and not handle, as one can plainly see.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

4 recommendations

reply to hmm
the point of these avatars is to identify in one topic the individual "voices". If you are free to sock-puppet multiple voices easily by picking a different handle each time it makes the avatars pointless.

So I think I'll keep it tied to IP address. Even if that means that in another topic the next day, the same person with the same handle might get a new avatar.

Not_Anon_Now

@comcast.net
reply to justin
said by justin:

I was hoping that it would be associated with your IP address unless you enter an email address, however this appears not to be the case, it does seem keyed from your handle.

Which is preferable?

How about neither? What was the problem with using the old "ghost" image for "anonymous" posts? This site used to officially welcome "anonymous" posters, but I guess those days are gone?

One of (perhaps the primary) reason for posting "anonymously" is anonymity. Have you seriously had a large number (or any) "anonymous" users asking for a way to have an icon that tracks their posts?

I have put the word "anonymous" in quotes because anyone who knows anything about how a web server works knows that the site itself can obviously track "anonymous" posts (and posters), but until now, you at least allowed such posters to have (at least the appearance of) anonymity to the public.

And FWIW, if you look at this thread and the dev/null thread I did, you can see that your algorithm seems to track both by pseudonym and IP address (so your IP address tracking is not entirely inoperative).

sock hole

@videotron.ca
reply to justin
said by justin:

If you are free to sock-puppet multiple voices easily by picking a different handle each time it makes the avatars pointless.

I'm not "sock-puppeting", »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet···ernet%29. I leave that to the likes of Fox news, »www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/21/f···-claims/, as was reported yesterday.

Or maybe you don't know what sock-puppet means? Or maybe there is a problem in certain forums with actual sock-puppets. I dunno.

Any privacy policy update?

So far I found screen resolution changes the colour and you are tracking non-reg'd by IP. What else is there? Anything else?

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

1 recommendation

reply to Not_Anon_Now
You know that "anonymous" posters show the domain name. So they aren't and were never fully "anonymous".

I don't think anyone who posts anonymously to get help, or because they're not sure they want to go through the hassle of signing up for an account, or because they have a contribution to make but are not interested in being a regular is the slightest bit inconvenienced by these assigned avatars.

Half wouldn't care, and the other half would think it is cute. Meanwhile the registered userbase would find it more useful to visually pick out one poster the way they can do with members who have avatars.

However if you're the type of "regular" anonymous poster who hangs out and has for a long time, knows the mods and members, and so on, but doesn't want to get an account, then I don't really have any sympathy. You're using a facility designed for temporary visitors and making it your home.

Not_Anon_Now

@comcast.net
said by justin:

However if you're the type of "regular" anonymous poster who hangs out and has for a long time, knows the mods and members, and so on, but doesn't want to get an account, then I don't really have any sympathy. You're using a facility designed for temporary visitors and making it your home.

Actually, I am a long time "premium" member with a long history of purchasing tool points (which I hope somewhat makes up financially for the fact that my network security shields block most of your ads and your Google tracking). I have, however, recently begun to frequently make "anonymous" posts because it is sometimes a PITA to log in because changes on this site now prevent both of the browsers I use on my PC devices from taking advantage of the "Remember Me" feature* (at least the default Opera Mini based browser on my cell phone can still "Remember Me" since that device is really a big PITA when I have to log in to this site).

And as a long time member, I do understand how much you enjoy tinkering with the code, so enjoy yourself (but don't kid yourself about the discontent in the peanut gallery your tinkering can sometimes produce).

* And this is not a backdoor request to get the "Remember Me" feature "fixed" for my old browsers and PCs...I understand that no site can provide 100% functionality for every combination of every browser and OS.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

1 recommendation

Just and only because you are a long time anon user, doesn't automatically mean I don't welcome your presence.

However if you are a long time anon user AND you also object to a stamp that doesn't change when the name you type in changes (which I think is the objection?) then I'm not on your side. For reasons I hope you would find obvious.

Regarding the changes and "remember me", even if you don't care to get that sorted out you might want to help for others who find it annoying.

I've no understanding of why a standard login-with-a-permanent-cookie would be causing any issue on any normal browser so perhaps you can explain exactly what that problem is because I've not made any particular or recent change that would explain why logging in persistently is broken or harder for anyone - even someone using Lynx. As long as a browser can do SSL and store cookies (both of which every browser should do without issue) people should be able to login easily.

ill move on

@videotron.ca
reply to justin
said by justin:

1. You know that "anonymous" posters show the domain name. So they aren't and were never fully "anonymous".

2. However if you're the type of "regular" anonymous poster who hangs out and has for a long time, knows the mods and members, and so on, but doesn't want to get an account, then I don't really have any sympathy. You're using a facility designed for temporary visitors and making it your home.

1. I never used the word anonymous. There is no "anonymous" on this site. I used the word "non-reg'd" throughout this topic. My words are chosen. If I wanted anonymous I would just proxy chain.

2. Fair enough. You made your stance known. I don't agree with it. But your site. All you are doing is now forcing me to use random IP's for each and every post. But this is what you prefer, and have chosen as preferable for you (or those who pushed you to this). Not preferable for the end-users who wish to remain un-reg'd and untracked. But, it seems to me, what you said above is that you find un-reg users an abuse. So be it.

Any privacy policy update?

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Why on earth would you force yourself to use random IPs ?

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to justin
said by justin:

Regarding the changes and "remember me", even if you don't care to get that sorted out you might want to help for others who find it annoying.

I've no understanding of why a standard login-with-a-permanent-cookie would be causing any issue on any normal browser so perhaps you can explain exactly what that problem is because I've not made any particular or recent change that would explain why logging in persistently is broken or harder for anyone - even someone using Lynx. As long as a browser can do SSL and store cookies (both of which every browser should do without issue) people should be able to login easily.

OK, I'm logged in now, and here is the login/cookie information from the SeaMonkey 2.13.2 browser I am using on this PC:

I have Remember Me checked

This site is on my Allow Cookies list

BBRUID however is a Session cookie

FWIW, I have tried both the http and the https login for this site, but it makes no difference. I get the same results for IE8 (my Windows boxes run Windows XP). This is the only site where I use a "Remember Me" cookie that does not log me in automatically. My recollection of when this started happening was after you migrated to the new cloud server.

If you want to move this OT subthread to its own thread about login cookies, please feel free to do so. If you need any specific information from me, let me know.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Expand your moderator at work

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to NetFixer

Re: Feedback on Non-reg'd posts

bbruid is a session cookie just to auto-fill the username field, for convenience. If it dies after the browser is quit, it just means that you have to type your name in again.

Shouldn't cause any impact to permanent login, which is stored in a persistent cookie not bbruid.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by justin:

bbruid is a session cookie just to auto-fill the username field, for convenience. If it dies after the browser is quit, it just means that you have to type your name in again.

Shouldn't cause any impact to permanent login, which is stored in a persistent cookie not bbruid.

This is the only "Remember Me" site I use that does not work, so if BBRUID is not that persistent cookie, I am apparently just not receiving that cookie from this site. Does that persistent cookie come from the dslreports.com domain, or from some other domain? I have dslreports.com and dslr.net whitelisted, but other domains would be blocked from anything but a session cookie (I run a tight ship).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
the cookie that is persistent is just called dsl

it is a session cookie unless that box is checked, if it is checked, it is a persistent cookie.

The domain is
.dslreports.com
in other words, *.dslreports.com

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by justin:

the cookie that is persistent is just called dsl

it is a session cookie unless that box is checked, if it is checked, it is a persistent cookie.

The domain is
.dslreports.com

OK, I do get the "dsl" cookie, but it shows as a session cookie even though I have the "Remember Me" box checked, and have dslreports.com listed as an "Allow Cookies" site. It would seem that my current browser and your site are not properly communicating with each other.

[att=1]
--

anonome

@verizon.net
reply to Ugly Green
Interesting... Gravatars for anons. I used to use my Gravatar for my registered account... didn't like it all that much, but it was something rather than nothing. Meh... I actually like this one better.

anonome

@verizon.net
reply to justin
said by justin:

anyone can enter any anon handle they like

Is that a change? I once used an anon "handle" at work, then tried using it again at home to continue the thread but wasn't allowed to due to it already being in use (or something like that--this was several years ago). Not a big deal, of course, but some kind of control seemed to be in place as far as who/what/where and one's choice of anon name.

Anyway, that was then and this is now. Looks good to me. (Though isn't somename@whatever[.com/net/etc]--or IP--a unique Gravatar anyway? ...not impossible to "steal" but not necessarily straightforward either.)