obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right

Re: Mavericks - Discussion

According to Apple's financial earnings call today, Tim Cook stated that all future OS updates will be free. What exactly are updates? I thought going from one cat to another was a major release. Is every .1, .2 going to be free?

»www.macrumors.com/2013/1 ··· -future/

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

The updates are less than major nowadays, really since Snow Leopard... The updates have been less drastic since, but also more frequent at a regular yearly cycle...

Black_Mage
Premium Member
join:2012-09-12
USA

Black_Mage to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
I finally installed it in my iMac. A couple annoyances. 1. I lost my network utility icon and had to use Google to find out how to get it back. 2. Mail forgot which emails were flagged until I unflagging and reflagged all emails and closed and reopened Mail. I think I had this same problem going from Lion to Mountain Lion.

Telecat
@affymetrix.com

Telecat to DoLeMiTe

Anon

to DoLeMiTe

Re: Mavericks Download

said by DoLeMiTe:

I downloaded it in about 10 minutes and took almost an hour to install. I notice no difference between this and ML

If that's the case, I'll stick with Snow Leopard. I have a Mac Pro 4,1 with an upgraded vid card (5770), OWC SSD and 32gb of RAM and ML might as well be OSX 1880s Steam Engine, as slow as it is.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right

Re: Mavericks - Discussion

two things i noticed.

the mail icon in my dock doesn't show that i have new emails, even though i do.

secondly, when i open a new browser window, i always have to hit CMD and + to get the optimal size text to show (had to do this before)...however, if i click on any of my favourites, i have to do it every time...before, as long as i didn't close the Safari window, it would retain my settings size.

both are annoying quirks i hope are fixed soon.

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium Member
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

ctgreybeard to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
Two things:

1 - Google Drive kept crashing Finder. One a minute. Shut off GD and all is well.

2 - My Aperture photos aren't showing in Desktop preferences. I did update Aperture but no joy yet.

#1 isn't good, #2 isn't a big deal for now.

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

Merak75 to not quite right

MVM

to not quite right
I'm a bit disappointed that my Wintec SSD express card is not working in Mavericks.
It worked fine in Lion and Mountain Lion with no additional drivers needed. Wintec is blaming Apple and says it is waiting for an Apple update to fix the issue.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to ctgreybeard

MVM

to ctgreybeard
said by ctgreybeard:

1 - Google Drive kept crashing Finder. One a minute. Shut off GD and all is well.

Sounds like that's Google Drive's problem, not Mavericks'.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to ctgreybeard

to ctgreybeard
1. Ummm, use dropbox? Was that a trick question?

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to ctgreybeard

to ctgreybeard
said by ctgreybeard:

Hang in there, that's a known issue. »Mavericks + Google Drive PSA

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium Member
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

ctgreybeard to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
Yes, Google Drive is working fine now. I think I also fixed the frequent system crash problems by doing some hard maintenance.

And after all that Aperture is now showing up in System Preferences.

Basically I did a Repair Permissions, Repair Disk (did find two inode problems), reset SMC, reset PRAM. Not sure which was the real fix but it has been running OK for a couple of hours now.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer0:

two things i noticed.

secondly, when i open a new browser window, i always have to hit CMD and + to get the optimal size text to show (had to do this before)...however, if i click on any of my favourites, i have to do it every time...before, as long as i didn't close the Safari window, it would retain my settings size.

well, there was a patch the other night that came through that fixed the mail issue...my hope is the safari issue is being worked on as well.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

two things i noticed.

well, there was a patch the other night that came through that fixed the mail issue...

»Mail Even Worse Now

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

well, so far so good for me...my issues with the mail seem to be resolved.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
Well, all is fine with everything here except iTunes. I don't know if it is Mavericks, or the last iTunes update, but mine now doesn't play nice with my Bose Airplay speakers. iTunes has also crashed with what appears to be a severe fault. From the dump log which I saved:

Crashed Thread: 23

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000011fd014d8

Unlike other similar OSX software crashes, this one did not ask me for permission to send the dump on to Apple. Strange they wouldn't want it.

It's a pretty complete diagnostics dump around the crash. It also has a detailed inventory of connected hardware, and an "Anonymous UUID" field with a lot of Hex chars following it supposedly to anonymize the actual customer.