haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

1 edit

haroldo to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff

Re: Mavericks Download

said by Thinkdiff:

Put the Dock on the right (bottom) side of the screen and you won't have that problem

Yeah, I saw that...
Thanks! (but I expect them to 'fix' that and make the bottom dock resemble the side dock)

The Geezer
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á

The Geezer to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
Well that would be nice. However, I can't see carrying my 27" iMac (the only Mac I have) with mouse and keyboard down to an Apple Store so they can download Mavericks to it. If I had a MacBook, it would be the way to go.

Cody0
Bob Vance, VR
Premium Member
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA

Cody0 to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

said by Thinkdiff:

Put the Dock on the right (bottom) side of the screen and you won't have that problem

Yeah, I saw that...
Thanks! (but I expect them to 'fix' that and make the bottom dock resemble the side dock)

I agree - mine is hidden on the left side since I rarely accidentally move my cursor over there, and looks odd.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to The Geezer

to The Geezer
said by The Geezer:

Well that would be nice. However, I can't see carrying my 27" iMac (the only Mac I have) with mouse and keyboard down to an Apple Store so they can download Mavericks to it. If I had a MacBook, it would be the way to go.

Maybe they'll load it onto a thumb drive for you ...

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
Downloaded Mavericks last night and installed it. Today the Mac App Store is still offering me Maverick, several updates for Mountain Lion and iWork apps since it's a new computer. I presume the Mountain Lion updates are no longer useful?

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

I would just hit update all and let OSX figure it out ...

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy

Premium Member

said by not quite right:

I would just hit update all and let OSX figure it out ...

Thanks. I downloaded the free apps and the updates page seems to have refreshed. Now it has three more updates for me.

djm61
Change? HAH
join:2001-06-20
Simi Valley, CA

djm61 to not quite right

to not quite right
Woke up to Mavericks today on my MacBookPro after doing an overnight install. So how do I get rid of the Finder bar on my 2nd screen?? Hate that!! Can't find an option to change that anywhere.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by djm61:

Woke up to Mavericks today on my MacBookPro after doing an overnight install. So how do I get rid of the Finder bar on my 2nd screen?? Hate that!! Can't find an option to change that anywhere.

Not sure, but if you go full screen on the second screen, does it disappear?

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
What is the operating system doing after installing Mavericks when the notification pop up comes up saying that Mavericks is optimizing the system. Says something that performance may be impacted until completed.
On my Mac Mini 2.5Ghz iCore 5 with 16 gigs of RAM, my system is feeling sluggish and a lot of "icons" or thumbnail previews are absent. My external drive has been "preparing" a time machine back up for hours. I'm thinking I made a mistake upgrading so soon. anyone else seeing sluggish performance a day after installing?

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by obeythelaw:

What is the operating system doing after installing Mavericks when the notification pop up comes up saying that Mavericks is optimizing the system. Says something that performance may be impacted until completed.
On my Mac Mini 2.5Ghz iCore 5 with 16 gigs of RAM, my system is feeling sluggish and a lot of "icons" or thumbnail previews are absent. My external drive has been "preparing" a time machine back up for hours. I'm thinking I made a mistake upgrading so soon. anyone else seeing sluggish performance a day after installing?

Yes.

Late 2012 Mac mini i5 with 4GB RAM. Yes, the RAM is low but it's been running ML for a year just fine for what I do on it. Mavericks appears to have caused some issues. iBooks just beach balls. iPhoto beach balls when I try to select slideshows. iTunes has some horrible hangs at times.

Not seeing the gains from the tech changes they made. Not yet anyway.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to obeythelaw

MVM,

to obeythelaw
said by obeythelaw:

I didn't get the pop-up, but usually the system will rebuild the spotlight database when you make big changes - that can take a while if you have a lot of files on a slow mechanical HD. The first Time Machine backup will take some time as well as many system files have changed and it may need to make space on the external for a new, large backup.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Cody0

to Cody0
said by Thinkdiff:

On the bottom, it's 3D, but still a light background

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

It's been that way (more or less) since 10.5. Seems pretty readable to me, especially with the heavy dropshadow on every icon.

It's only light because you have a white webpage dragged behind it - is your desktop picture also light colored? Maybe try not to keep white windows behind your dock if you have trouble reading it.

No idea if this still works, but you could give it a shot - it may just change it to look like the "side" Dock on Mavericks, though:
»osxdaily.com/2007/12/24/ ··· d-to-2d/

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to not quite right

MVM

to not quite right
I spent about 2 hours with the download & installation this afternoon. Went pretty smoothly, but as others have mentioned, the dock looks terrible on the sides. It only looks good on the bottom. Other than that, I guess it's okay. They changed the interface around on iWorks, though. I think it's kinda crappy. Goin' to have to stay with Open Office, I guess.

Black_Mage
Premium Member
join:2012-09-12
USA

Black_Mage to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
Running OS X 10.9 now. I'm pleased to say that iStat Pro is still working. So far I'm happy.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to not quite right

MVM

to not quite right
small issue with mavericks for those of us who use the cisco anyconnect vpn client. its a documented bug that the anyconnect client will cause network drops (on both wired and wireless, though wired is much less frequent).
there will need to be an anyconnect update to solve this issue.

q.
tubbynet

tubbynet to not quite right

MVM

to not quite right
also -- i'm noticing quite a bit of battery life increase with the upgrade. 2 year old mba still is giving about 4.5 hours of battery life.

pretty snazzy.

q.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 edit

HiVolt

Premium Member

Can you still make a USB bootable disk from this? I found the InstallESD.dmg in the installer app, restored it to a USB stick like I've done in the past with Lion/ML and it doesnt show up in startup disk or in the Option boot screen.

I want to do a clean install on my mini not a bullshit upgrade.

Any ideas?

Edit: Googled, it, apparently Apple did not like us making backup discs that easily and you can't do it the disk utility way... This company seriously hates the user being in control of anything... wow...

Anyway there's apparently a way, i'm trying it now.

»arstechnica.com/apple/20 ··· l-drive/

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to not quite right

to not quite right
I'll wait till Icefloor is ready for Maverick. I am shocked gpgtools is Maverick ready. I should not forget macports as well. So I guess it'll be a while.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to HiVolt

MVM,

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Edit: Googled, it, apparently Apple did not like us making backup discs that easily and you can't do it the disk utility way... This company seriously hates the user being in control of anything... wow...

Apple hates it so much, they included a way to create a USB install drive inside the install package itself.
said by The link you, yourself posted :
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction
Yeah... total control freaks.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Haha, you can't tell me they aren't, in the overall scheme of things?
HiVolt

HiVolt

Premium Member

Well, its not working... Either with that LionDiskMaker or the terminal app. I've googled around and apparently this is an issue on 10.6.8 machines...

I'll have to try it at work tomorrow I've got Mountain Lion machines there.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

As long as you have >2GB of RAM, no reason not to. It'll run better than Lion.

I have exactly 2GB of RAM, was contemplating upgrading to 4GB. Will have to if I upgrade. After watching the keynote lastnite I really want to!

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
Netgear R6400
Switches Trash Bin
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

1 recommendation

rjackson to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Well, its not working... Either with that LionDiskMaker or the terminal app. I've googled around and apparently this is an issue on 10.6.8 machines...

I'll have to try it at work tomorrow I've got Mountain Lion machines there.

Creating a bootable thumb drive via the terminal commands worked great for me.

Apparently you can still do it "the old way" but there's a few extra steps. Try this: »www.tips-and-tricks-in-m ··· l-drive/
rjackson

rjackson to not quite right

to not quite right
Minor, but the Time Machine menu bar icon doesn't spin anymore when a backup is in progress. Instead it shows a little triangle in the corner now. That took a moment to get used to.

dfc888
Premium Member
join:2003-07-22
San Bruno, CA

1 edit

dfc888 to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
Anyone noticing two finger pinching Safari when you have multiple tabs open (while in fullscreen mode) is kind of glitchy and lags? I have a 2.7 GHz 27inch iMac (mid 2011) w/ i5 and 16 GB of RAM... 7.57 GB of free RAM right now... weird.

haroldo
USA

1 edit

haroldo to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

...I want to do a clean install on my mini ...

quote:
Should you do a "clean install" of Mavericks?

It used to be that when upgrading to a major new version of OS X, installing over an existing OS X installation—for example, installing 10.3 over 10.2—entailed some degree of risk, as existing applications, add-ons, and support files could conflict with the new OS. For this reason, many people used to perform a “clean install”: wiping your hard drive (after backing it up, of course), installing the latest version of OS X, and then either using Setup/Migration Assistant to restore your applications and data, or manually reinstalling programs and copying over your data. (The Mac OS X 10.2 installer actually included an Archive And Install option, which preserved your original OS in a special folder while installing a completely new, fresh copy of 10.3. This feature was eliminated in the Snow Leopard OS X 10.6 installer.)

But a new download-and-install procedure debuted with Lion (OS X 10.7) and continued through Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) and now Mavericks (OS X 10.9). Instead of a bootable installation DVD, you download the latest OS X installer to your Mac and install the new OS from the same drive. With the debut of Mavericks, as with Mountain Lion and Lion, many Mac users are asking two related questions: (1) Can you perform a clean install of Mavericks? and (2) Should you? ...
»www.macworld.com/article ··· obinsite

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

No idea if this still works, but you could give it a shot - it may just change it to look like the "side" Dock on Mavericks, though:
»osxdaily.com/2007/12/24/ ··· d-to-2d/

No, that hack does not work anymore, that was my complaint about 15 posts up.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right

Re: Mavericks - Discussion

I did a clean install of Mavericks on my 2013 MBA last night. I used Diskmaker X (formerly Lion Diskmaker) to create a USB install drive. Worked like a charm.