Cool new toys

NetApp
here in our Chatham server room.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

f4ff333

@colosseum.com

Re: Cool new toy

Get ready to be disappointed. Overpriced, slow (I//O-wise) and its upgrade procedures make no sense

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:2
reply to TSI Marc

Cool. We use NetApp and just upgraded one of ours in our CoLo.

Blob
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

cool. disappointed? slow? upgrade make sense?
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

chaseme

join:2011-09-12
Terrasse-Vaudreuil, QC
reply to TSI Marc

Newshosting for all current clients?! Nice though, it's fun setting up SAN stuff.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

hehe.. no.. it's mostly backoffice stuff for a few hundred staff here in the office and R&D.

It's fun setting it up but man it sucks when there are problems with it. Between production and dev it will have roughly 150 VMs hanging off of it. Just under 100TB of usable storage space.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mikekay
Premium
join:2011-01-29
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Marc

It's awesome seeing what runs our ISP.

IT dude here looks nice and clean, professional, and managed. I've seen some pretty hideous ones on spiceworks hehe.

I'm a DBA and ours was terrible until we moved. Cleaning it up during non business hours (12am-8am) was fun... NOT.

Hope you have it on a killer UPS

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

I go take a couple more pics.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Click for full size
Eaton
Click for full size
3x HP BladeCenter
Click for full size
Juniper
Click for full size
2x not so new.. conects our desktops
Few other new toys.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

The NetApp was being installed today though... just thought it was especially neat for whatever reason.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to TSI Marc

Re: Cool new toys

Nice!!! That could hold a lot of... you know, Linux ISO's...

Don't let Angelo near it!
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Is the Eaton stuff UPS'es? How much capacity in that rack? Looks a lot!
--

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to TSI Marc

A couple of hiccups after the upgrade last weekend but we're ironing it out.

I don't admin the NetApp so I can really comment too much but we have had really good luck in the 4 or 5 years si9nce we went with NetApp.

Blob
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

PlatooN

join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Marc

cool. The netapp stuff is pretty solid, you should be pleased with it.

I will say though, if you are running mostly VM's to it, i might have gone nimble over netapp.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TSI Marc

That's 100TB just in those two NetApp boxes, right, not the whole rack? Because if that's for the whole rack, that's pretty crazy low density :P

Personally, I'm opposed to NetApp on philosophical grounds: I've been a ZFS user for quite some time now, and NetApp tried to sue ZFS out of existence (this was pre-Oracle). Not only did NetApp sue Sun claiming that ZFS violated their patents, they sued people who were using ZFS in their own products. One company making some NAS products using ZFS (they were using Nexenta's ZFS solutions) got a C&D from NetApp and was forced to stop selling their product.

EDIT: Actually, it seems like all those boxes have NetApp logos on them, so it's possible the entire rack is just an incredibly low-density storage solution. Maybe that means 15k RPM drives are at play, although those have questionable utility in the age of SSDs and SSD caching.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

TSI Gabe
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:7

The Netapp has a mix of low density and high. I myself isn't even involved in that project so I can't really comment on it.

I happen to be working on those SRXes right now which I haven't seen yet in a picture so thanks for posting them :P

About Oracle...we have one of those too. It's in fact sitting in that very same server room.
--
TSI Gabe - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

spock

join:2012-07-08
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

+1 on that one. I'd love to see Teksavvy host some mirrors for linux distros. Linuxmint Debian edition, gentoo, opensuse, fedora

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Gabe

said by TSI Gabe:

I happen to be working on those SRXes right now which I haven't seen yet in a picture so thanks for posting them :P

What do those do? newer version of the ERX's? or different functionality alltogether?
--

victor2k

join:2013-05-28
East York, ON
reply to PlatooN

Netapp is one of the worst storage solution that I've ever worked with. I could have better IO pattern if I build something in my basement.

VNX/VPLEX is much better for much less money.

And about these Cisco - these are kind of EOL, aren't they. Good thing they don't much attention to run.

distr0

join:2007-05-03
St George Brant, ON
reply to TSI Marc

heh, i was talking to the rep who sold you the netapp the other day... i think he mentioned that there was a recent failure of another unit that triggered this purchase?

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

What do those do? newer version of the ERX's? or different functionality alltogether?

From the looks of Juniper's datasheets, the SRX appear to be corporate-grade firewalls (2-15Gbps), AV firewalling (350Mbps), IPSec firewall (1Gbps), VPN gateway (1.5Gbps), etc.

Looks like these will be used to protect the office against intrusions, malware, DoS and other stuff. Not as part of their core routing infrastructure - much too slow for core network applications.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to victor2k

said by victor2k:

And about these Cisco - these are kind of EOL, aren't they. Good thing they don't much attention to run.

That is irrelevant and especially so when it is to connect their desktop systems.

rogersmogers

@start.ca

the Cisco 65xx switches are work horses, EOL doesn't mean Dead and useless.

I know of a few 100's million dollar companies that have a old 6513 or 6509 running and will keep it running until it dies.

And there is a huge market for refrub units now. »www.networkhardware.com/ these guys do a ton of business.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Thanks for sharing Marc. Always nice to see drive bays coming outta the wazoo.

This is definitely a scale up from the HP SAN I used to play around with. I sure hope some of those 2.5" sleds have some SSDs in them for caching.

Cyborg994

join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Marc

Neet SRXs! I have started messing with those a few months back. Very fun to work with, and fast. Junos Space is still crap for firewall management, but the command-line is very efficient...

Cyborg994

Montreal, QC
reply to InvalidError

SRX are firewalls (very good ones). You can think of them as a super multi-contest ASA/FWSM in the cisco world. That also does VRF, and has better throughput.

I have not worked with all the bells and whistles (AV, reputation), but so far i'm impressed. Looking to buy one for my own lab eventually, they are relatively affordable.

Cyborg994

Montreal, QC
reply to InvalidError

5600 series+ are working well for carrier-grade networks. They are fast enough.

ohnonotthat1

@teksavvy.com
reply to f4ff333

said by f4ff333 :

Get ready to be disappointed. Overpriced, slow (I//O-wise) and its upgrade procedures make no sense

That's an understatement. Wait till they see how much filesystem overhead is on that thing, someone is going to have a stroke. Not only that but if they want to have block based storage, it emulates blocks stored in the filesystem that is then stored again as real blocks. Probably should have bought a cluster with an Hitachi HUS series with the NAS option. Much faster, much more efficient.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Don't let Angelo near it!

Speaking of Angelo, there is a name I haven't seen in a long time. I wonder if he got tired of downloading the internet every day?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

TSI Gabe
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:7

He works for us now. Although I'm not quite sure why he doesn't post as much as he used to.