uniqs

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Someone with new Mavericks: Tell me about OSX these days?

I am not a Mac owner. The last Mac I had was an OS9 jobbie.

I'd like to know about the new OSX and a modest talk about what it is like, how it differs for Windows 8/8.1, and why you choose it. Please speak freely, I'm all ears and fascinated, since I cannot afford a Mac I'll have to live vicariously through YOU.

Please share.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

Simple interface.
Extremely efficient interface actually.
Simple application management (assume the applications aren't shitty ports that use .mpkg)
Unix backend.
Good HUD.

I don't like forced full screen with 8/8.1 and various problems associate with Windows ownership.
Virus paranoia, clean up tools, and did I mention the interface for OS X is efficient?

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

My one misgiving with OS9 and OSX was that there wasn't a start menu that installed executable links for all my apps. Instead you had to navigate to the executable's directory. That thinger lets you put some of them, but there's not enough room for all your apps. Is it still that way?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

You dont have to browse thru each folder to launch apps... You can put frequently used ones on the dock, there's the Launchpad thing if you like ipad style icons, or you can add an Applications icon to your dock...
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
I put an alias to the Application folder on the dock and set it to list view. One click and I get a scrolling list of all my apps. It's almost like a Windows Start Menu.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Riamen:

I put an alias to the Application folder on the dock and set it to list view. One click and I get a scrolling list of all my apps. It's almost like a Windows Start Menu.

That's how I've been doing it for years on OS X..

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to Riamen

Premium Member

to Riamen
Oh! Ah! Ooo! Then I could easily live with that, that was my main annoyance with it back then. That and using trash to close things, it just seemed counter intuitive to put something in the trash to close it. My memory is quite foggy though.

As much as I don't like Win8, I'd probably like OSX Mavericks, I'm guessing.

Is it still a challenge to make a PC run OSX, such as you have to have the right hardware (I would think of course, since there'd need to be drivers for things).

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by signmeuptoo94:

Is it still a challenge to make a PC run OSX, such as you have to have the right hardware (I would think of course, since there'd need to be drivers for things).

If you don't have any experience with OS X, don't do this... it's a pain in the ass and your initial interaction with OS X will be plagued with incompatibility/crashes/etc.

Go to an Apple Store and play around with OS X if you're interested. Previous gen (2009 is the cut-off for Mavericks) Mac Minis are not very expensive. If you already have a PC, you presumably have a monitor/keyboard/etc.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Ok, were I to do that (I can't ATM), what would the minimum model be? Core 2 duo? IS there a model number sequence?

what's the cheapest one here on eBay?

»www.ebay.com/sch/i.html? ··· from=R40

You know, it would be kinda cool to get one to send to my family in Cebu some day...

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

The 2009 Mac Mini has a Core 2 Duo. Mavericks requires at least 2GB of RAM.

I'd opt for a slightly more recent computer - 2011 Mac Mini is a good starting point. Search for "Mac Mini 2011" on eBay and then check the box for "2GB or more" under Memory on the filter options. I'd look for something with a Core i5 and 4GB of RAM or more, but it depends on your budget.

The minimum requirements for Mavericks is here:
»www.apple.com/osx/specs/
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by Riamen:

That's how I've been doing it for years on OS X..

If not in the dock, I use SpotLight
Type first few letters of app, SL highlights it in list, enter & there it is ready to go...

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Liberty:

If not in the dock, I use SpotLight
Type first few letters of app, SL highlights it in list, enter & there it is ready to go...

I'm oldskool... i rarely use it that way, though it does work well, same on windows...

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

Oh! Ah! Ooo! Then I could easily live with that, that was my main annoyance with it back then. That and using trash to close things, it just seemed counter intuitive to put something in the trash to close it. My memory is quite foggy though.

You didn't use trash to close things, you drag and dropped disks in the trash to eject them on OS 9. Mac OS X hasn't had to do that in 10 years as there are several ways to eject disks now. But if you're old and still drag them... the trash can turns into an eject icon if you drag the disk icon now.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Thanks, I didn't clearly remember it, just that I thought it was an odd way to do things back then, but I had a PC mindset.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Here ( »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Mini ) is a discussion of all of the Mac Mini models, including the maximum operating system they can run. Be sure to scroll down, since there is more than one chart.