uniqs

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

1 edit

Rick4769

TWC vs Verizon FIOS pricing

FIOS Triple Play Offer Today---Surprised
Our condo complex had a sign up day for FIOS outside under one of their tents this afternoon. I was shocked that FIOS triple play costs more than Time Warner!
Ultimate TV package/75/35 internet/digital phone/1 DVR and 1 Cable Box with HBO.
$191.00 before taxes. I was surprised they didn't even budge from the prices from their Verizon site on the internet.

Currently paying $168.00 before taxes with TWC which includes free DVR and service, regular box, HBO/Cinemax for $5.00 each for a year, 50/5 and digital phone.

I guess I will stay with TWC until Verizon FIOS becomes more competitive. TWC does offer more HD channels than FIOS but of course slower speeds on the internet.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by Rick4769:

HBO/Cinemax for $5.00 each for a year, 50/5 and digital phone.

I guess I will stay with TWC until Verizon FIOS becomes more competitive. TWC does offer more HD channels than FIOS but of course slower speeds on the internet.

At least you have decent upstream with FIOS .. That in itself is worth the additional cost!

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

MeInDallas to Rick4769

to Rick4769
I wish I could get FiOS, it would be worth the extra cost for me

Rick4769
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769

1st Month Charges
1ST MONTH PRICE
Verizon Triple Play
FiOS TV Ultimate HD
FiOS QuantumSM Internet Speeds up to 75 Mbps/35 Mbps
FiOS Digital Voice - Unlimited Plan
$400 Amazon.com Gift Card OR Visa prepaid card
$144.99
Includes $25.00 in discounts
TV Services
ViewNow $5.99
Ultimate Fully Loaded Entertainment Pack $31.98
50 Percent Off Premium Content 12 Month Credit
-$15.99
Set Top Box $6.99
DVR $16.99
Total 1st Month Price
$190.95
Monthly charges after 1st month will be shown on Review Order

ONE-TIME CHARGES
ONE-TIME CHARGE
Installation: TVs with Existing Outlet (2) Fee Waived
Primary Computer Installation Fee Waived
FiOS GigE Wireless "N" Router Fee Waived
FiOS Internet Activation Fee $49.99

This is what they quoted me.
BangBang
join:2000-07-05
North Bergen, NJ

BangBang to Rick4769

to Rick4769
verizon is bleeding badly when it comes to fios customers. they are jumping ship. verizon stopped doing any more roll outs in my area til they figure out what to do with all those who told them to stick it

Rick4769
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769

Today, on the Verizon site, they waived the $49.95 internet activation fee.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

1 recommendation

PhoenixDown to Rick4769

Premium Member

to Rick4769
Here in NYC, everyone I talk to on TWC would love to switch to FIOS and almost everyone I know who can switch has. Its a world of difference.
hchen42
join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

hchen42 to Rick4769

to Rick4769
I guess Buffalo has different pricing. Current 11385 pricing quote is $126.96 for TV prime HD, 50MB/25MB, HBO/Cinemax, multiroom dvr box, 1 hd cable box. Below is copy/paste from Verizon on-line quote. The price quotes is for 2 years. Tax is much higher than TWC, so I would say the final cost would be around $140. All fees waived.

BTW, Fios TV is much clearer/crisp than TWC.

-------
Triple Play
FiOS TV Prime HD
FiOS QuantumSM Internet Speeds up to 50 Mbps/25 Mbps
$84.99

Includes $35.00 in discounts
TV Services

HBO/Cinemax $29.99
-$15.00
Set Top Box $6.99
Multi-Room DVR $19.99

Total 1st Month Price

$126.96

patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

said by hchen42:

I guess Buffalo has different pricing. Current 11385 pricing quote is $126.96 for TV prime HD, 50MB/25MB, HBO/Cinemax, multiroom dvr box, 1 hd cable box. Below is copy/paste from Verizon on-line quote. The price quotes is for 2 years. Tax is much higher than TWC, so I would say the final cost would be around $140. All fees waived.

BTW, Fios TV is much clearer/crisp than TWC.

-------
Triple Play
FiOS TV Prime HD
FiOS QuantumSM Internet Speeds up to 50 Mbps/25 Mbps
$84.99

Includes $35.00 in discounts
TV Services

HBO/Cinemax $29.99
-$15.00
Set Top Box $6.99
Multi-Room DVR $19.99

Total 1st Month Price

$126.96

Yup in Ridgewood i switched 2 friends but this guy added ultimate which is +45$ and all the premium stuff.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

1 recommendation

juilinsandar to Rick4769

Premium Member

to Rick4769
You're lucky that you even have that option for FIOS in your area.

Rick4769
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769

To me FIOS Prime would be a downgrade from what I am getting now with Time Warner. In addition, TWC has more HD channels in their lineup than FIOS.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

said by Rick4769:

To me FIOS Prime would be a downgrade from what I am getting now with Time Warner. In addition, TWC has more HD channels in their lineup than FIOS.

Yup if you need all channels possible then stay with TWC
swarto112
Premium Member
join:2004-02-17
El Dorado Hills, CA

swarto112 to Rick4769

Premium Member

to Rick4769
I would take FIOS over TWC at that price...theyve been slow;y hiking prices but the difference in customer support, video quality, internet speed, and on, and on. If youve never used FIOS you wont get it...but if you have. You wouldnt even ask this question...Id gladly pay that again.

Tech_WF
@rr.com

Tech_WF to hchen42

Anon

to hchen42
Well, I read all over the place about Fios. You guys say that Verizon brings fiber all the way to the side of your house, or your apt complex, or wherever. True. Is it any better ?! I don't think so. TWC runs fiber all over the place. The optic fiber feeds their aerial/underground copper mainlines. They have fiber running along with copper. From poles/pedestals, they do a drop of rg6 i believe or rg11 depending on how far away it goes. So does verizon, the only difference is that verizon brings fiber to the side of the door instead of having a coax drop. Now, past the outside work, both companies use rg6 inside the house, same type of splitters, 2 3 4 way splitters.

Now, I can nearly guarantee yall, that if TWC decides to bump up their speeds, which honestly I expect, they can still make it. Their network alternates between both technologies.

The main thing, TWC is cheaper, in most cases, and there's no contract. Now, if any of you wanna tell me if they'd prefer more expensive service on a contract, i'd call bs on it. I saw Verizon Fios in Dallas. They're only reaching out to the nice areas. If you live in a mid level or junky neighborhood good luck in getting Fios. Also, most of the Fios customers, were trying to break contract after some apparent price bump after a certain period, before the contract expiration.

Is it worth it 25 mb/s worth of speed for all that trouble ?! I say no. As far as picture quality, yes, TWC could do better, but their digital tier, is fairly good except some channels that won't strech or switch to 1080i resolution. Other than that, TWC is perfect.
hchen42
join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

hchen42

said by Tech_WF :

...TWC is cheaper...

Speaking as a consumer who pays for my parents FIOS and my own TWC service at my co-op, I can honestly say if both prices are the same for similar service, I pick FIOS.

Is TWC cheaper? You be the judge.

My parents FIOS triple play package offers:
$79.99/month; 2 hd boxes ($14); Premium TV HD with Showtime; 15/5 speed (although we get 25/5 all the time); free fios modem/router - and uses MOCA. Avg monthly payment with all tax and fees are $105. I actually pay $95 since I work for a bank, and we receive additional $10 off.

My co-op TWC double play package offers:
$64.99/month; 1 hd box; STD digital; 20/2 (although we get 22/1.8 most of the time); free cable modem. I pay monthly of $68 after all fees and tax.

However, upon further examination, I could still get FIOS package listed above (Verizon runs the deal from time to time). If I have to switch my parents to TWC, the quote I got 1 month ago would be $89.99 + modem fee + two hd box and we are looking at about $105 a month (1 year contract). So the price is similar.

Now at my co-op, we got a massive discount of $64.99 was because FIOS was threatening to move in. Otherwise it was $102.xx/month. The $64.99 discount ends end of the year. No words yet on if the price will continue or bump up to $102.xx again.

How the wire gets into my house is not very relevant as long as they provide the service promised. On the other hand, FIOS using MOCA enabled me to buy another fios modem/router and create another wireless AP/bridge easily at a cost of $60 all just by using exisiting cable. If I were to utilize MOCA with TWC, I'd have to get two MOCA adapters at cost of about $150. Other options include dropping ethernet cable (pain in the butt) or utilizing extender (not reliable).

Is TWC cheaper? not in NYC. At best I would say comparable. FIOS provides better TV (which you agree) and I love the MOCA connection technology.

One more addition, TWC TV Boxes are HORRIBLE!!! FIOS boxes are much more responsive. There are constant lags on TWC TV cable box.