Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream

2 edits

[iPad] New iPads

I didn't see a thread about them so I'll start one.

iPad Air? Wow. Amazing.

iPad Mini with retina display? I WANT ONE!

Why oh why are they keeping the low res iPads around? Isn't it time to kick them to the curb?

Oh and why didn't they include the fingerprint scanner on the iPads?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
said by Black_Mage:

iPad with retina display? I WANT ONE!

They've been around for a while now... or did you mean the mini?
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to Black_Mage
said by Black_Mage:

Why oh why are they keeping the low res iPads around? Isn't it time to kick them to the curb?

I find the pricing to be very strange.. It makes sense from a numbers point of view (one iPad at every price point), but the specs between the price points vary so widely. At $399, the iPad mini absolutely destroys the iPad 2 in every way possible.

iPad mini (old) should've been $249
iPad 2 should've been $299
iPad mini (retina) would've made more sense at $399 now
iPad Air at $499

The old mini would've sold like crazy (although it would kill their margins). I can only assume that the iPad 2 must sell extremely well if they're keeping it around at $399.. good way to bring the average margin back up.

said by Black_Mage:

This is the main reason I won't be upgrading my iPad mini. The price for the LTE version is another reason.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Black_Mage
The pricing is absolutely insane for the Mini, considering the Nexus 7

The iPad 2 has to go, they should have at least replaced the iPad 2 with the iPad3

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

1 edit
said by Jackarino:

The iPad 2 has to go, they should have at least replaced the iPad 2 with the iPad3

The iPad 2, iPad mini, AppleTV, and iPhone 4S all use the Apple A5 (maybe different variants of it, not sure). Makes the margins better. The iPad 3/4 would've needed the no longer produced A5X or A6X.

Logistically, it makes perfect sense to keep the iPad mini and iPad 2 (they are somewhat similar internally). Price wise, I think they got it wrong. It's especially bad that 2 of their iOS devices are still stuck with 30-pin connectors.. they should've at least updated that.

Apple will never be able to compete directly with Google on price - just like Microsoft couldn't match Android pricing with Windows Mobile.
--

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
reply to Black_Mage
I may go for the new mini for that retina display. I have to check out the iPad Air in person tho. Looks nice tho
--
| map your city |

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·voip.ms
reply to Thinkdiff
I see no major issues with pricing, other than the iPad 2. I guess there are desperate enough people to buy some really old hardware with 1/4 screen res just to save $100.

I think iPad Mini could have been better priced like this: $279 and $379.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
for some people everything does not have to retina . the battery life may be better on non - retina . they could have shaved a bit more off the price though for the non retina devices in case of the mini. As far as the iPad 2 it is old but that $100 saved can go towards a case and accessories for those on a budget.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by norbert26:

for some people everything does not have to retina . the battery life may be better on non - retina . they could have shaved a bit more off the price though for the non retina devices in case of the mini. As far as the iPad 2 it is old but that $100 saved can go towards a case and accessories for those on a budget.

I agree. I use an iPad 2 for "utility" and see no reason to replace it anytime soon. There are many folks who have similar needs where hi-res doesn't matter at all. They kept the iPad 2 and original iPad Mini exactly for that reason...folks will buy them.

As to pricing that some are concerned with, Apple is not likely ever going to try to be the same or lower than competitors. Folks who buy Apple products do so because they want the ecosystem...and Apple is don't pretty good, even as market share shifts overall.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
reply to Black_Mage
My iPad 2 does not seem to be struggling to run anything (once in a blue moon it stutters if too much is going on). Retina would be nice but even watching movies on it is good enough for my eyes.

Eventually I'll upgrade but probably not until this one breaks or gets damaged.

Not disputing the huge gains in speed since iPad 2 - just have no personal need to upgrade yet. Kind of the same issue with my 4S phone. When I do make the move I have to buy all new covers, keyboard cases and cables, etc. I'm in no hurry for that.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
reply to buckingham
Well, correct about the Apple Eco-System, it just doesn't get better. Though Google Play Store is getting pretty good. But Apple won't change until they absolutely have to.

Black_Mage
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

said by Black_Mage:

Yes. I thought I would not like the Mini, but now that I own one I really like the smaller size.

Black_Mage
Premium
USA
reply to Black_Mage
I changed my mind. As much as I'd love to have a retina display again, no finger printer scanner is a deal breaker for me. I'm waiting until next year.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile-High
reply to Black_Mage
When the iPad 3 came out, it was a no-brainer for me to upgrade to a Retina display from by 1st generation iPad.

I'm not sure if the iPad Air offers enough additional oomph to jsutify an upgrade or not. The iPad Mini Retina is also quite intriguing. I guess I'll wait until they're release and visit the Apple store.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to Black_Mage
said by Black_Mage:

Because they need to sell something "new" next year. Next year, there will be a better processor with better battery life, it will be thinner, and have the fingerprint scanner.

If they released the best thing out there right now, what will they have to sell in the future? This is how they make their money, by people upgrading.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Mospaw
Same here.

The retina display of the third gen iPad was enough of an incentive for me to upgrade from my first gen iPad. The iPad Air is less of a compelling upgrade by comparison IMO. I sold my first gen iPad for ~$220 or so after I bought the iPad 3 though and looking back at the first gen iPad I am glad I am rid of it.

Upgrading helps stave off obsolescence and selling an older product can help pay for the newer one (unless you want to hand it down to a family member).

I personally have been having some difficulty dealing with the 16GB of my third gen iPad so stepping up to a 32GB iPad Air might be the way to address that problem.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to Black_Mage
Just as with the iPhone, I'm an every-other-generation kind of gal Waited for the iPad 2 to be released and then got the iPad 4 a few months ago -- love the retina for the readability of text and these old eyes The iPad Air sounds cool but I'll be waiting for the next release or possibly even the one after that as the 4 more than suits my needs.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Black_Mage
It's interesting they call it an iPad Air. Years ago, I said that if you just took the screen off a MacBook Air, you'd have an iPad, sorta.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:22
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by howardfine:

It's interesting they call it an iPad Air. Years ago, I said that if you just took the screen off a MacBook Air, you'd have an iPad, sorta.

Im sort of puzzled at the name change... yeah its thinner and lighter... but so is every damn phone they've made... so are they gonna call an iPhone Air once it gets like 5mm thin? heh
--

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile-High
reply to Octavean
My 1st gen was a 32GB and it was "enough" but tight now and then. My 3rd gen is a 64GB and I'm happy to have the extra room. If I upgrade, I'll probably go with 128GB "just because". I use my iPad as a music device at work and more music to choose from is always better.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
reply to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

My iPad 2 does not seem to be struggling to run anything (once in a blue moon it stutters if too much is going on). Retina would be nice but even watching movies on it is good enough for my eyes.

My Mini (same processor as the 2, AFAIK) seems to run everything smoothly as well.

There are several iDevices that I'm avoiding like the plague, because they haven't handled (or don't handle) new OSes or apps well (i.e. sluggish, etc.):

iPad (original) - very low RAM, slow, no iOS6
iPod Touch 4 and earlier - very low RAM, slow with iOS6 (ugh)
iPhone 4 and earlier (very slow to me)

The minimum iOS device I'd even attempt to buy used would be:

iPad 2/Mini for iPads
iPhone 4S for an iPhone
iPod Touch 5 for an iPod Touch

All the above three can handle iOS 7 well, and games such as PvZ seem to work well on them. On the other hand, try running PvZ (current version) an iPod Touch 4 - it's an excercise in patience.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Mospaw
said by Mospaw:

My 1st gen was a 32GB and it was "enough" but tight now and then. My 3rd gen is a 64GB and I'm happy to have the extra room. If I upgrade, I'll probably go with 128GB "just because". I use my iPad as a music device at work and more music to choose from is always better.

That's one way to do it,....

I've toyed with the idea of buying a 128GB iPad when it first came out. I wouldn't need 128GB but what I was thinking was when the time comes to sell it (every other gen) I could probably buy the the next gen 64GB model without adding addition funding.

That may be of questionable logic though,......

I kind of wish Apple would just drop the 16GB model and make 32GB the minimum at an entry level $499 for WiFi only. At any even't 16GB just isn't cutting it for me any more so I can almost, just about see stepping up to the 32GB iPad Air,.....as soon as it becomes available . I'm leaning towards just buying the 32GB iPad Air but if Apple had included the TouchID option it would have been a much easier decision.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Im sort of puzzled at the name change... yeah its thinner and lighter... but so is every damn phone they've made... so are they gonna call an iPhone Air once it gets like 5mm thin? heh

Seems obvious that they're making room for more iPads, maybe on a different refresh cycle. Can't come out with an "iPad Pro" in April or June and rename the "new iPad" to "iPad Air" without updating it. So, they renamed it now.

For iPhone, their naming has been screwed since the iPhone 3GS. Seems like they're just fine with digging that hole deeper, though.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Yeah you're right, the rumored 12-13" one might be a called iPad Pro...

And as for the iPhone, i also wonder how long they keep with this number scheme..
--

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Black_Mage
So if we want a full sized iPad now we have to choose between the Air (light) or Retina (better display), or does the ipad air also have retina display?

Edit: nevermind from looking at the specs in details it seems ipad air has retina display too.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
The iPad mini (Retina) and iPad Air are identical spec-wise, except for the screen size.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Thinkdiff:

The iPad mini (Retina) and iPad Air are identical spec-wise, except for the screen size.

I was expecting the Mini Retina to have an A6 or A6X processor, but i was pleasantly surprised that they released both on A7.

Kind of breaks tradition that the last two iPad Retina's had an A5X and A6X, a more powerful version than the phone's processor.

I wonder if there are still some differences, but Apple is just not listing them.
--

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
reply to Black_Mage
said by Black_Mage:

said by darcilicious:

said by Black_Mage:

Yes. I thought I would not like the Mini, but now that I own one I really like the smaller size.

Same here. 10 inch tablets aren't my thing anymore. I will say the iPad Air looks good in the pictures because of the slimmer bezel it has tho. Not saying i'm going to get one, but....
--
| map your city |

OvrQualified
Slightly Ahead Of Time
Premium
join:2002-01-27
Winter Park, FL
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Black_Mage
said by Black_Mage:

My understanding is that the yields on the touch ID sensors are "terrible" and that they're having enough trouble keeping the 5S line supplied with them (hence no pre-orders), let alone adding another iProduct. Which makes sense, it's an entirely new piece of gear, with new manufacturing processes, etc., as opposed to the A7, which is just another microchip.
--
The enemy of my enemy is my WHAT?!

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to Black_Mage
Personally, I think the iPad 2 sticks around to make the price of the iPad Air look better in comparison. Makes me feel better about not ditching my iPad 2 just yet, actually.

I also suspect educational institutions that buy pallets of iPad 2s get a really sweet price.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.