spc
uniqs
nh5
join:2006-01-21
Old Bethpage, NY

nh5 to Mahalo

to Mahalo

Re: [Networking] FTP Server over FIOS

You have to set the external IP in IIS settings plus set the port range for passive mode when using behind NAT

filosad
@verizon.net

filosad

Anon

Presently, I have IIS bound to the internal network address. If I attempt to do what is suggested, will I still be able to access my FTP server from the inside (internal network) ? It is more likely, I will be using the FTP server from the outside so that should not be an issue. Do I still need to port forward ports 20 & 21 ? Do I still need to configure NAT on the Actiontec Router (Fios). What is the preferred method. Thx so far fro your help.......filosad.

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

non passive mode should 100% work on the internal LAN just use the LAN IP instead of the WAN IP. Sometimes it won't work internally so I assume you are testing from a remote machine. Not all arouters forward back internal IP to the public IP back to the internal LAN (like a loopback). That being said some passive protocols will have a 'masquerade IP address' it uses when using passive mode making it not work on the LAN but I am not sure if that would be the case with windows/IIS stuff as I am more of a unix guy.

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

1 recommendation

Mahalo to filosad

to filosad
Just leave the bound IP to All in IIS and everything will work fine. Use the internal IP for FTP when you are on the LAN and use the external IP from the outside.

You need to forward 20 & 21 from the outside in.