sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

[WIN8] The Win 8.1 update semi-bricked my system

Well, the system boots. But Win 8.1 refuses to allow me to login unless I first create a Windows account.

I have no interest in having a Windows account.

It also did not allow me to shutdown or reboot. I had to do a forced power-off.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 24.0

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
This post might help: »Re: [WIN8] Windows 8.1 A local account can be made to work apparently.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to nwrickert
enter a fake e-mail address, and password, however yes it's bullcrap they want to make it seem like you have to create a cloud account. Be sure not to buy microsoft next time, tell Microsoft you will never buy Microsoft again, this wasn't a glitch, it was intentional.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by BlitzenZeus:

Be sure not to buy microsoft next time, tell Microsoft you will never buy Microsoft again, this wasn't a glitch, it was intentional.

To be honest, I did not buy Microsoft this time. I bought Dell, and a system with Win 8 included was priced lower than what I could get with linux. I treated it as a way to learn about dual booting Windows/linux in a UEFI environment

I'm not against deleting the Microsoft stuff, and going back to my original plan of a linux-only box.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 24.0

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to nwrickert
said by nwrickert:

It also did not allow me to shutdown or reboot. I had to do a forced power-off.

It apparently did not like that. When I booted again into Windows, it restored Window 8. I guess I should leave it that way.
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
You will have to install 8.1 sooner, or later, they already said they are going to end support for Win 8, but you will still get it's eol if you apply 8.1

You just had to get past that screen where they try to trap users into a cloud account.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
when will support for windows 8 end ? i can't do it by download and will have to buy a disk.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

This post might help: »Re: [WIN8] Windows 8.1 A local account can be made to work apparently.

To add a bit more information to my post linked to above, I will say that I probably should have taken notes during that process. Sadly, I did not.

However, I do know that I did not have to go through the steps to create a "fake" Microsoft account. Here is what I do remember.

During the setup process, it recognized the account I was using, and had me verify that it was me, and for me to put in my password. It did have some description about my account being a local one.

The next screen had something about setting up, or logging in using a Microsoft account. Near the bottom of the screen was a bunch of options, and I think (again, I did not take full notes on this) one of them had something to do with either create a new local account, or it gave the impression (at least to me) that I could use my existing local account.

I clicked that, and got another screen where I had options to create a new local account, or use existing local account. I selected use existing (I think) and continued with the install.

Again, I will point out that the options that I saw did not jump out at you. You had to look at the full page, and they were hidden near the bottom. The push of course is to use your existing Microsoft Account, or if you don't have one, to set one up at that time.

Microsoft is hoping that you don't take time to read the full screen, and just go along with what you see in the top 10%, and create a Microsoft account if you don't already have one.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by plencnerb:

The next screen had something about setting up, or logging in using a Microsoft account.

Yes, I got that far. I guess I'll have to look harder at that point, if I try this again.

Or I could just delete Windows and make this a linux box.

I'll put off deciding for a few days.
--

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to nwrickert
said by nwrickert:

I bought Dell, and a system with Win 8 included was priced lower than what I could get with linux.

Wow! It becomes interesting even more with every day coming... I never thought that Windows OS will be cheaper than free OS

Please remind me who is CEO of the company, producing product that now is cheaper than a free one?
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by OZO:

Wow! It becomes interesting even more with every day coming... I never thought that Windows OS will be cheaper than free OS

There was a sale on, at least for buyers who where associated with a University. Only Windows boxes were included in the sale. To get a box without Windows, I would have to pay the non-discounted price.
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to nwrickert
Microsoft says in their tutorial on upgrading to 8.1 Under Prepare Your PC:

"Connect to the Internet. It's not required, but we recommend that you stay connected until the update is done. If you don't, you’ll need to connect again to finish setting up later, and setup will take longer."

Probably, the real reason they say the above is so that you will need to create a Microsoft account (if you don't look extremely carefully and see where to click to get to a local user account). So, after you get the update downloaded from the Microsoft Store simply DISCONNECT. Then the installer will not be able to talk to Microsoft during the install and setup and will simply offer you a local user account. I have not yet upgraded to 8.1 so I am not sure it will work, but a Google search shows this being recommended by many sites. So, it is certainly worth a try.

»social.technet.microsoft.com/For···ogeneral

If you don't want to try the above (or it doesn't work) then after the first phase of the upgrade is complete, your computer will reboot and the second phase begins where you choose your settings. Microsoft says that when you get to the Sign in Window if you want to use your local account from Windows 8.0:

"To keep using a local account

Windows 8.1 is designed to be used with a Microsoft account, so we recommend that you give it a try. Simply put, your Microsoft account is the glue that holds together so many useful features of the new Windows. Without one, you won't be able to, for example, automatically sync your settings and documents between PCs, back up your photos to the cloud so you can get to them from anywhere, or see all your contacts from multiple email and social networking accounts together in the People and Mail apps.

But if you're sure you want to use a local account instead, choose Create a new account, and then on the new account page, choose Continue using my existing account."

»windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···ial#know

--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to BlitzenZeus
thank you two years gives time on this. by then maybe its time for a new box anyways.

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC
Yesterday I upgraded from 8.0 after downloading 8.1 via MS Partner connection. I elected to install 8.1 over 8.0 but not to port programs and setting from 8.0. Unplugged the ethernet cable, did the install. It defaulted to creating a local account, no problem. Reconnected after finishing. No nag screens of any kind.

BrettZ

join:2013-08-15
reply to nwrickert
Don't know what's happening. Fortunately all is good with my pc. This is certainly the first time I am hearing so many issues with windows. Not cool!

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

But if you're sure you want to use a local account instead, choose Create a new account, and then on the new account page, choose Continue using my existing account.

That is exactly how it works on the upgrade of Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. That was the process that I did, and the steps that I took. Thanks Mele20 See Profile for finding a link that has the text on it.

Its just another way Microsoft is slowing trying to force everyone to use a Microsoft Account, instead of a Local Account. Yet, it is still possible. You just have to know the correct steps.

Even if you don't (I did not know that was what I needed to do when I did the upgrade), it is important to read everything on each screen before you make a choice.

I'm also one that will always choose the "Custom" option, if one exists, so that I can see ALL of the options that the end user has control of.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to nwrickert
Thanks to everybody for the helpful replies.

The answer seems to be:

If you do not want to create a Windows account, then click the "create windows account" button.

That's so obvious, why did I miss it

In any case, here's my update:

I tried again.

This time the update to 8.1 was successful, thanks to your helpful responses.

Observations:

1: It did not download the 3.62Gb. That was apparently still on my disk, so did not need re-downloading. I was hoping that would happen.

2: It changed Windows update settings to auto-update. At least it warned me, so I could change it back (to just telling me and letting me decide).

3: It changed to fast start mode. It did not warn me of that. Fortunately, I checked and changed it back. This is an important point for us linux users who want to sometimes mount the Windows partition and prefer it to not be corrupted.

4: It did remember and retain my time settings. In particular, I have the BIOS clock set to UTC, but local (Chicago time) displayed. That continued after the update.

5: That initial screen -- before you login -- is fugly.
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
Yeah, click create a windows account to not create a windows account, it's quite obvious

They're fan of secureboot, and fast startup since they assume you'll be running no other as Win 8 is so great while they want to impress you with it's hibernate boot times.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
reply to nwrickert
When I performed the update,. after the first reboot it asked for my local account password. After entering that it requested that I either enter a Microsoft account or that I create one to continue. All I did was go back one screen (using the arrow in the upper-left corner) and then click "do no use this user" or something of the sort (forget the exact wording).

Anyway after clicking that it went straight to the completion of the update and, after another reboot, I was able to log on using the local account without a prompt to enter a Microsoft account.

YMMV

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to nwrickert

Pic #1
Click for full size
said by nwrickert:

2: It changed Windows update settings to auto-update. At least it warned me, so I could change it back (to just telling me and letting me decide).

Question: During the upgrade, you probably saw a screen similar to the first picture that I posted above. Do you remember if you selected "Use express settings", or "Customize"?

I ask because if you select "Use Express Settings", you won't see the 2nd picture, which is where the install asks how you want to configure Windows Updates.

Since the default is "Automatically Install important and recommended updates", that is probably what your setting got set to, even though you had it set to "Never Check for Updates (not recommended).

My setting is the same as yours. However, when I did the upgrade, I selected "Customize" on that first screen. So, I was able to make sure that the Windows Update question was to turn them off at that point.

My thoughts on this are mixed. I can see Microsoft's logic why they would want to make sure that setting is that way, even if the end user did change it, as it does "force" (so to speak) the system to update itself. This is good for those that don't know how to, or know when to check for, updates to Windows. The downside is that if the end user is smart enough to, or has someone else doing the management of their system, then it would be OK to leave that setting alone during the upgrade.

Yet, the point of an upgrade is to just update new features and settings, and keep existing ones alone. On a new install, its fine. But, this was an upgrade from 8 to 8.1, so any setting that the user set should have been left unmodified, IMHO.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by plencnerb:

Do you remember if you selected "Use express settings", or "Customize"?

I selected "customize" at that point.

It didn't help. The only custom choices I could make were to automatically install updates, or to disable updates completely. So I had to wait till the install was done to change it to what I wanted.
--

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
All,

Yesterday, I upgraded my Windows 8 to 8.1. The download took several hours on my slow 1.5 meg. DSL. The upgrade went with no issues. I created a local account using the tips posted here. Everything is working nicely. I've only had to make some minor configuration adjustments. I used the Customize settings option.

I'd like to set up a desktop shortcut directly to the All apps screen. Anyone know how to do that in 8.1?

I had such a shortcut in Win8, but it doesn't work now in 8.1. I use the All apps screen in lieu of the old Start button. Don't need no Start button. I'm with the program.

Freddy

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to nwrickert
I thought there was more then just two options listed in that box. I did a few google searches, but was not able to come up with an image that shows the drop down list expanded.

Now, I could be wrong, but I thought that box had the same options that are shown to you when you go into Windows Update inside of the control panel after Windows is installed.

--Brian

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by plencnerb:

I thought there was more then just two options listed in that box.

I vaguely recall that there were three. But I did not find the one that I wanted.

Perhaps the third option was "other", and perhaps if I had tried that, more options would have become available. At the time, it seemed easier to worry about that after the install was complete.
--

Glen T

BC
reply to Freddy
said by Freddy:

I'd like to set up a desktop shortcut directly to the All apps screen. Anyone know how to do that in 8.1?

What I did was went to "Taskbar and Navigation Properties" and ticked the box beside "Show the Apps view automatically when I go to Start". Now the new Start button becomes the shortcut to the All Apps screen. Also, I checked the box beside "List desktop apps first..."

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
Glen T,

Yeah, I noted that option in Taskbar and Navigation Properties to boot to Start, and then have a shortcut to the All apps screen from the Start screen (little down arrow).

However, I'm looking for establishing a shortcut on the desktop to go "DIRECTLY" (note that word in my post) from there to the All apps screen. I'm booting to the desktop, and I use the Modern UI not so much.

I suspect sooner or later such a shortcut will be found. I searched the Internet and found no such shortcut, yet. I'll be checking from time-to-time.

Freddy

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

You will have to install 8.1 sooner, or later, they already said they are going to end support for Win 8, but you will still get it's eol if you apply 8.1

You just had to get past that screen where they try to trap users into a cloud account.

OMG 9yrs from now I won't get support for Win 8, I better hurry and get that service pack installed.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Glen T

BC

1 edit
reply to Freddy
said by Freddy:

However, I'm looking for establishing a shortcut on the desktop to go "DIRECTLY" (note that word in my post) from there to the All apps screen. I'm booting to the desktop, and I use the Modern UI not so much.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding you, that is exactly what I am doing with the Start button. I boot directly to the desktop. I click the Start button and go DIRECTLY to the All Apps screen, with desktop applications sorted to the beginning of the list. I never see the Start screen AT ALL.

Untick the check box beside "Show Start on the display I'm using when I press the Windows logo key". Tick the check box beside "Show the App view automatically when I go to Start." And tick the check box beside "List desktop apps first in the Apps view when it's sorted by category."

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
reply to elwoodblues
It's far less than 9 years, why don't you stop being stupid, and read ok?