Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to Deft

Premium Member

to Deft

Re: [Everything] New Home Owner!

Check all your smoke detectors, replace batteries, etc. Make sure you have fire extinguishers in the right places as well. The home inspector should have checked this, but use all your sinks and toilets. Run water, make sure there are no leaks before you put all your stuff in the cabinets under the sinks, etc.

I bought my house from a very elderly woman and she was only using one bedroom and one bathroom. The home inspector checked all this stuff (supposedly). But, most of my bathroom sinks and the kitchen sink had small leaks underneath. Most of it was easy to fix, just tightening a few fittings, etc. I suspect it was because she had the water turned off (even though we had agreed I would get the service transferred on the day of settlement). When the water got turned back on I checked everything and that's how I found the leaks.

Deft
Stros in '08
Premium Member
join:2003-09-06
Grand Forks, ND

Deft

Premium Member

said by John97:

Check all your smoke detectors, replace batteries, etc. Make sure you have fire extinguishers in the right places as well. The home inspector should have checked this, but use all your sinks and toilets. Run water, make sure there are no leaks before you put all your stuff in the cabinets under the sinks, etc.

All the plumbing and wiring is brand new. and he said everything works but im still going to put brand new batteries and buy a fire extinguishers
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

If you have anything that needs to be sanded (walls, floors, ceilings, etc.), do it now BEFORE you move in...

Its a decently old place i was thinking of tearing up a corner to see what it looks like. but dont you have to sand and seal like 3 times?
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Yes, typically 3 coats of mud and then a final sanding. Get all of it done before you move in.... Trust me.