share rss forum feed

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

Messy cable node

We need a new topic, if this place gets any quieter a funeral will break out.

I was walking home and it seems the nice cable man left the node open, so I snapped a shot of the insides in the dark. Quite messy in there...

I feel like going out tonight and re-arranging everything, but that probably wont be welcomed by many people. :P

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

1 recommendation

That's not a node. It's a utility cabinet containing a RF amplifier, some splitters, and a mess of coax drops.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to TomS_
...actually looks like either my place after a party... or a macroscale superstring model... :lol: :lol:

Regards

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to TomS_
Looks like a flat style mag LE fed with a short 11 jumper off a hardline to f pin connector. Out of that the signal hits a piece of 6 into an 8-way, which feeds equal out to 6 more visible 8-ways, and two drops into the wire mess, probably to either very far units (judging by one of those drops on the first 8-way being an 11) or to remote splitters.

Also looks like this is a shared service MDU cabinet, as there is phone blocks in there as well, that in in equally maintained shape.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
Its a cabinet installed out on the street, directly outside the house where I live. A lot of the houses in the street are quite big, old Victorian era mansions, most of which are now multi-tennanted by several renters, or divided in to flats.

There are maybe 20-30 or so physical properties on my street, so I guess this cabinet is probably just serving this street alone.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to TomS_
The cable looks like it could just use some trimming and cleaning and it'll be fine.

The phone on the other hand.... That needs some TLC.

pb2k

join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB
kudos:1
reply to TomS_
Wow, on this side of the pond a technician would be shot for leaving a mess like that. The worst part is, theres a ton of room in that cabinet to have done it properly.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
That's common place here in the States. It doesn't have to be clean; it just has to work! That box has likely been there a long time, slowly becoming the spaghetti that it is.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to TomS_
That's actually semi-organized.. I have seen worse when TWC (Formerly Insight) was out fixing my cable in the past they had the PED cover off and the wires were all tangled, big mess that 'fell out' of the PED with the cover off -- Tech had trouble even figuring out what drop went to where.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

3 recommendations

reply to TomS_
said by TomS_:

Don't worry, Justin will keep this forum around despite how dead it is while killing off the active ones.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

fbruno

join:2000-04-06
Berwyn, PA
reply to Killa200
Very nice description of the CATV plant, which looks on the surface to be a total mess. I missed the 11 off the first passive.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to TomS_
said by TomS_:

I feel like going out tonight and re-arranging everything,

Do it you'll sleep better.
just try not to disconnect it while fixing, or do it while they're asleep.

Might need some equipment to help make it the way it should be.

so get some black cloths and a ski mask, might I suggest this one
»www.entertainmentearth.com/prodi···zf03-B9M
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Killa200
Maybe get a 32 way splitter too.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Cthen
said by Cthen:

said by TomS_:

Don't worry, Justin will keep this forum around despite how dead it is while killing off the active ones.

QFT
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv