uniqs

jsinaiko
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Chicago, IL

jsinaiko

Premium Member

Shout-out to a couple of techs

We all squawk like crazy when things go badly - I know I do. And by and large this site is for problem-solving. I've been a member since early 2001 so I've seen a lot of water under the broadband bridge.

I wanted to post something about the three techs who spent a lot of yesterday and some of today getting my outside infrastructure right. Jonathan, Elijah, and a third guy whose name I didn't catch.

After occasional momentary Internet outages, and some TV outages and pixilation they rolled a truck. After it was determined that there wasn't a problem on my side of the NID, they strated looking outside.

They found three issues: a bad ground wire out of the NID, a flaky DVR, and what I had suspected - a bridge tap on the pole out back. These guys took care of all three issues, and then took the trouble to hang around long enough to make sure things were up and cooking correctly. They ran more inside and outside lines tests than I have seen in the past. All in all a very through and professional service call. I'll be surprised if I encounter any problems in the foreseeable future.

I live in an old part of the city. A lot of the copper here is 100 years old. Things are hard to figure out none of it was designed to take the loads that it takes now.

So whatever idiotic, greedy, kleptocratic, and counter-productive rules and policies the big guys down in Texas come up with, it's the techs on the street who keep everyone up and running. They generally do a very good job under difficult circumstances.

So thanks guys.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by jsinaiko:

I live in an old part of the city. A lot of the copper here is 100 years old. Things are hard to figure out none of it was designed to take the loads that it takes now.

Actually in many cases old wire like this is better than 20- 30-year-old wire. Back then they didn't have the technology nor cost incentive to try to make the wire extremely small so it was a much larger gauge. Later on they had the technology and copper prices had risen to the point where making the wire smaller definitely had advantages. Problem is the smaller wire doesn't hold up as well over a long period of time.
COjosh
join:2011-02-21

COjosh

He could still be in some old lead underground cable or Stalpeth "Paper" cable. That stuff isn't 100 years old but it can be 40 years for sure depending on the area.

Did anyone ever see the pictures of the Verizon Manhattan cable vault when it got flooded from Sandy? All that stuff under there was Stalpeth...talk about a nightmare, gives me the chills just thinking about that...brrrrr!

I think the OP was just trying to make the point that the OSP over there is kind of crappy and confusing.

It's nice to hear of the good experiences as opposed to the bad every once in a while.
COjosh

COjosh

Heres the article:

»www.theverge.com/2012/11 ··· ne-sandy