uniqs
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

1 edit

Acct101

Premium Member

[Content] So does Comcast ever add channels?

Been here since March and I have not seen any new HD channels. Is this it?
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

1 recommendation

Os

Re: So does Comcast ever add channels?

I don't know how believable it is, but someone at the Comcast forums was posting a couple weeks ago that Houston will be the first market to see a major HD upgrade of 37 channels between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and that other markets would follow.

In going through his posts, 4 of the 37 I pieced together were The Blaze HD, Fox Sports 2 HD, Universal Sports HD and beIn Sports HD. How believable this is, I don't know. But it's at least worth discussing that something might be in the works. I've not found anything more official yet, so for now, it's merely speculation. I would at least think that C-SPAN HD, Cooking HD, Disney Jr. HD, Ovation HD, Smithsonian HD, TVGN HD, IndiePlex HD and RetroPlex HD are included in that, as they've been commonly added in other Comcast markets this year out West.

It's not like they lack the bandwidth, and it's not like they don't have the contractual ability to get whatever they want.

falcor
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

falcor

Anon

With Comcast for me...it's I'll believe it when I see it

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

1 edit

1 recommendation

SeattleMatt to Os

Premium Member

to Os
OS-
Is there a link for that?? Man, if that's the case...that's a juicy addition!

Acct-
To answer your question, there hasn't been an HD add here since May-June of 2012! Yes, that's 2012.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

1 recommendation

Robotics to Acct101

Premium Member

to Acct101
I haven't seen any new channels in the HD line up since the first part of 2012. All they did was remove a channel and replaced it with another...so in a way they added nothing. I cant even remember the name of it since I don't watch it but believe it was Velocity channel.
Marcus Carr
join:2009-04-08
Baltimore, MD

Marcus Carr to Acct101

to Acct101
Nothing new here since August 2012.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

1 recommendation

camper

Premium Member

Around here, the channel listing that Comcast gave out about a year ago showed the addition of Bloomberg HD. But that never materialized.

rej4sl
join:2008-07-11
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

rej4sl to Os

to Os
Here in Minneapolis, we have C-SPAN HD, Cooking HD, Disney Jr. D, Ovation HD, Smithsonian HD, Indieplex HD, Retroplex HD ... we have over 100 HD channels

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

andyross to Acct101

MVM

to Acct101
Here in the Chicago area, the only HD I think recently added was MundoFox, and that's because it's a broadcast channel! I think it's been over a year otherwise. We've had some SD's added or soon-to-be-added (Smithsonian, RevoltTV).
Os
US

1 recommendation

Os to rej4sl

to rej4sl
Minneapolis saw those additions this year, as did markets in Washington, Oregon, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah. That's why I would figure Houston would at least get those channels as well.

Here is a link to the original post. His posts list some of the other additional channels throughout those forums.

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Ch ··· /1857299

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Yeah,
Hasn't posted in almost 2 weeks - hard to paste stuff together, but nice detective work.

Won't get my hopes up too much on just that 1 thread.
Os
US

Os

Right, at this point I wouldn't call it anything but speculation. But Comcast has fallen well behind almost every other provider when it comes to HD.

Time Warner Cable now has lineups crossing 200 channels, and with new deals coming for A&E Networks, Discovery Networks and Viacom, with a recently agreed to Starz/Encore deal, those markets should be seeing a lot of new channels, in addition to recent deals with Ovation and Al Jazeera America. Of course, Bright House Networks, who has content deals negotiated by TWC, is well over 200 HD channels in its core markets.

Charter is engaged in a digital transition through its markets. Rural markets that never had HD before are now reaching over 150 channels, and more urbanized markets are at 175-185 HD channels as this transition occurs.

DirecTV will launch the D14 satellite early next year, and with this, it is likely many new HD channels will follow, with DirecTV already having a substantial advantage in out-of-market sports and premium HD.

CenturyLink Prism deployment is increasing in its footprint, as is AT&T U-Verse, and both are over 200 HD channels, U-Verse with out-of-market sports, CenturyLink with a comprehensive network and premium HD lineup.

Verizon FiOS has migrated some channels from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 to clear up space, and has been adding HD channels fairly consistently the last couple months. While most have been international, Universal Sports, Sony Movie Channel, Oxygen, TV Land, and it looks like MTV2 HD are all coming on board, with more seeming to follow.

The competition is ahead of Comcast in every way, and it may become a detriment to maintaining customers for them down the road. Even small cable providers are going all-digital and reaching 100 HD channels now.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

i have 220ish HD channels in my system; so i dont know why you are saying they are falling behind.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Gar-
I assume you have DirecTV or something then?

B/c it's certainly not on the Georgetown system... I don't know of any Comcast system w/ more than 140 and definitely not here in the Mid-Atlantic.
Os
US

Os

No Comcast system has more than 134 channels. That is what the city of Chicago system has, and that's propped up by the numerous local channels. And that's counting G4 HD which will go away by January.

Most Comcast lineups are between 110-120 HD channels, including all locals, premiums, PPV and 3D.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
You freekin guys always bitchin for these hd channels. I want my freakin three hd channels and analogs back. I only want to see hd on sports. Jesus christ, jillian mele looks so much better on sd it isnt funny.
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101

Premium Member

LOL, I hear you, I had a lot more money in my wallet when I wasn't paying for cable and cell phones. I love the Comcast TV package; my only complaint is the lack of HD channels for MLB Extra Innings and the other sports packages. I would buy them all if they were in HD.
Acct101

Acct101

Premium Member

Re: [Content] So does Comcast ever add channels?

Well have 120 HD channels here in the Philly suburbs. Not counting VOD. One thing I love is not seeing the Dot.Cot HD channels we had with Fios.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to Acct101

to Acct101
I have directv and am loving it. It has everything I want and more (except local sub channels and local access channels). Comcast was just raping me with my bill and with the x1 debacle I am glad I switched to directv with it's genie service.
Os
US

Os to Acct101

to Acct101
I have 119 for most of the Philly area, 131 for the city, and 120 for a few Chester County systems who have HBO Signature HD.

MFoxTeenWolF
@comcast.net

MFoxTeenWolF

Anon

Comcast can spout whatever numbers they want...I came from having Cablebvision and Fios back in NY and coming to Comcast their HD is just a failure for me...Not even going into all the other channels I want...I at least want Comcast to give me all of the HBO and other premium channels in HD

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

November Bill

Well, looks like we'll go the entire year of 2013 with no new HD channels. Guess all those lines I was fed by corporate were pure BS.

Latest bill this morning, only notes are:

- G4 HD being removed 1/6/14 (as was previously noted)
- Howard Stern on Demand ending on 12/16

No notes about the Revolt network (not that I care if it's in SD), so guess it's not being added in the Philly region.
joejoejeo
join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

Comcast told me they are dealing with the contract renewals they have first before adding alot of new channels because they have so many contract renewals to deal.with by the end of the year
kb1
join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN

kb1 to Acct101

to Acct101

The gentleman over at the Comcast forum also said this:

Yes, This is Comcast in Houston, formally use to be Time Warner Cable............

Houston is a unique system for Comcast, Time Warner rebuilt the whole system, and is running now on a 1400 megahertz system, where most systems are only running on a 1000 max usually.

Houston has the capacity to handle more channels and speeds for the internet......hint - 300 meg service coming soon.

They have the capacity to add 37 HD channels. I doubt the rest of the country will get many new HD channels. Nowadays Comcast wants to limit new linear HD channels and have everyone use there On demand
service. They also want to keep that extra bandwith for high speed internet. Hopefully I'm wrong.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

That poster is misunderstood. There's no such thing as a 1400 MHz system. The highest standard gear goes to 1002 MHz, or 158 standard RF forward channels. Even then most tuners only go to 864 MHz (135 RF Channels).

IPTV over bonded DOCSIS or SDV and you could have 1000's of HD channels even on a 550 MHz system.
Expand your moderator at work
LoveHD
join:2011-07-31
Detroit, MI

LoveHD to Os

to Os

Re: So does Comcast ever add channels?

said by Os:

The competition is ahead of Comcast in every way, and it may become a detriment to maintaining customers for them down the road. Even small cable providers are going all-digital and reaching 100 HD channels now.

That is quite revealing.

It sounds like Comcast has gone out of its way to create its own problems.

The No. 1 provider of cable television programming nationally should be able to lead on high definition programming nationally.
LoveHD

LoveHD to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt

Re: November Bill

said by SeattleMatt:

Howard Stern on Demand ending on 12/16

Contract dispute?

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to joejoejeo

MVM

to joejoejeo
If you want to see Comcast's upcoming contract renewals, you can check here:
»xfinity.comcast.net/lear ··· ramming/
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to kb1

to kb1

said by kb1:

Nowadays Comcast wants to limit new linear HD channels and have everyone use there On demand
service. They also want to keep that extra bandwith for high speed internet. Hopefully I'm wrong.

and they did add some live tv part time channels on ON demand and it sucked but all the other systems where able to have the same part stuff as real linear channels. Maybe if comcast had SDV.

But they should have room to at least add all of the missing team HD and game HD channels.

Also the taken down premium HD stuff is not all on VOD.