uniqs
share rss forum feed view:
normal

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6
reply to TurboDan

Re: [Content] So does Comcast ever add channels?

said by TurboDan:

It's really only a matter of time before the concept of forcing people to buy hundreds of channels to watch maybe 20 that they like will be as odd-sounding as renting your rotary phone from the phone company every month.

Or as odd as renting your set-top box and HSI/CDV modem from your cable company every month. Oh wait....

[I know, you can purchase a TiVo or a box from Samsung, etc. now, but you still have to rent a CableCARD. I also own my HSI equipment, but what % of Comcast subscribers currently do that?]

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by telcodad:

but you still have to rent a CableCARD

Around here, the first cable card is no charge.

Plus there's a $2.50 credit for owning your own equipment.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by camper:

said by telcodad:

but you still have to rent a CableCARD

Around here, the first cable card is no charge.

Does not save me much when I have 4 full STBs and 4 SD-DTAs at home now.

I'm thinking of changing some of them out for Samsung boxes: »Re: [STB] Samsung STB with cable card? and »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EYO241Q

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

But you're only going to save $2.50 per box if you do that, and if you replace the DTAs with boxes it will cost you even more because Comcast continues to defy the FCC reasonable rental fee rules for cards.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

I was going to keep the DTAs, hoping to exchange them for HD-DTAs once they become available in my area.

pickmepickme

@comcast.net

I'm tempted to get these for my non DVR boxes but I'm guessing they wouldn't work as companion boxes in an anyroom DVR function like my boxes do now, correct?

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

The documentation on it (»downloadcenter.samsung.com/conte···0816.pdf) doesn't say it supports MoCA, so I would guess not also.

kb1

join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN
reply to Os

Re: So does Comcast ever add channels?

said by Os:

I don't know how believable it is, but someone at the Comcast forums was posting a couple weeks ago that Houston will be the first market to see a major HD upgrade of 37 channels between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and that other markets would follow.

In going through his posts, 4 of the 37 I pieced together were The Blaze HD, Fox Sports 2 HD, Universal Sports HD and beIn Sports HD. How believable this is, I don't know. But it's at least worth discussing that something might be in the works. I've not found anything more official yet, so for now, it's merely speculation. I would at least think that C-SPAN HD, Cooking HD, Disney Jr. HD, Ovation HD, Smithsonian HD, TVGN HD, IndiePlex HD and RetroPlex HD are included in that, as they've been commonly added in other Comcast markets this year out

It's not like they lack the bandwidth, and it's not like they don't have the contractual ability to get whatever they want.

I wonder if Houston ever got there channels.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

They didn't. That poster disappeared, and probably made the whole thing up. As for why someone would do that, trying to explain the logic of a troll isn't easy.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

OMG! A new channel! Just shoot me - new bill just posted today - looks like absolutely nothing other than this local must carry now through all of February.

Hell, maybe we aren't ever getting more HD. Very disheartening. Really hoped we'd start 2014 with a bang. Still in the Philly suburbs, no Cooking Channel HD, DIY HD, BeIN, FoxSports2, ehhhh..nevermind...i'm tired of repeating myself.

Latest news for New Castle County, DE -

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Effective February 27, 2014 the
following channel will change channel numbers: TWC from ch 2
to ch 55 and TV Guide Entertainment on ch 94 will no longer be
available. In addition, on February 27, 2014, KJWP SD and HD will be added to ch 2 and ch 788 respectively.

Apparently its some new local must carry Me TV affiliate (even though we already have one around here) that broadcasts in 720p (according to wikipedia)

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KJWP
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

mount laurel

@army.mil
reply to Os

Saw this on January parents bill from NE Philly:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Effective February 27, 2014 the
following channel will change channel numbers: TBS from ch 2
to ch 60. In addition, on February 27, 2014, KJWP SD and HD
will be added to ch 2 and ch 788 respectively.

Googled KJWP looks another ME TV affiliate from Delaware

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

It's a new channel. I guess a lot of markets will have to calculate it.

Here is when they went live, Nov 18th. Interesting shot of the broadcast equipment. They bought KYW 3's Harris transmitter.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u5EAW3P5tU

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

1 edit

What a dick! LOL.

Here in Wilmington, Delaware....errrrr, uhhhhh Philadelphia...

It's ok dude, Wilmington really is a city.

It's just strange b/c we already get MeTV via Channel 69 in Allentown on 249.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

It's got an interesting "life", including where it's call letters came from:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KJWP

said by JeepMatt:

It's just strange b/c we already get MeTV via Channel 69 in Allentown on 249.

Agree, VERY strange that MeTV would allow 2 affiliates that are basically in the SAME DMA...

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE

1 edit

Well, Brighthouse - already over 200 HD channels - is adding another 5-8 at the end of the year.

It's astounding with the ease they do it. Handful of new HD's every month. Granted they're using SDV and it makes itsimple - but wow.

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Yeah but like 30 of them are premium channels. Sorry, but I think having the premium content as VOD is a better option then having it as HBO, HBO1, HBO2, etc and seeing all same movies listed over and over again is a waste.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

4 edits

said by Acct101:

Sorry, but I think having the premium content as VOD is a better option then having it as HBO, HBO1, HBO2, etc and seeing all same movies listed over and over again is a waste.

- Sorry, but you're probably in the minority that think "it's better" - OD sucks because:
*you have very limited skip/FF/REW options, than you do when you DVR something
*you have watch things dictated by when the content comes & goes on OD; when I DVR shows, I can keep them as long as I want them - & watch them on MY (limited) schedule!
*OD does NOT have ALL of the same content when it's on (ALL) the linear multiplex channels (I don't care what you or CC says...)
*I can watch shows I DVR'd, even AFTER I've canceled the premium channel(s) where those shows were recorded from

- I GUARANTEE you that Brighthouse has it BOTH ways...so their subs can watch it either way; everyone's happy (oh yea, U-verse has pretty much ALL the linear premium feeds AND the OD as well...)

- A "waste" of WHAT??? If you're talking about bandwidth, obviously it is NOT a problem for Brighthouse; nobody seems to know what CC's problem is...IN spite of the fact that CC has NO more analog signals to suck up bandwidth, (& IS sitting on gobs of empty QAM's!) while BH still has a full analog lineup!

So...now tell us why "it's better" that CC IS missing SO many other (basic) HD channels ENTIRELY in it's (limited) HD lineup???

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to Acct101

I like having all the extra premium screens in HD with DirecTV. I never know what to watch but if your channel surfing or in the guide, you may catch part of something that looks interesting, and guess what its in HD! You can DVR it, or go on demand and download it to the DVR or live stream it with DirecTV. But many times I just catch whats on one of the dozens of HD premium channels. Premium costs more so they rightfully so should all be in HD for the value.

Many cable and other companies have the bandwidth for multi screen premiums in HD, so why should the biggest cable company in America be any different? They are all digital now, so theres room there. It would also be a good fit for MPEG4. Since not everyone HAS premiums, they can phase MPEG4 to subs that care about secondary screens of premiums in HD.

kb1

South Bend, IN
reply to dishrich

said by dishrich:

said by Acct101:

Sorry, but I think having the premium content as VOD is a better option then having it as HBO, HBO1, HBO2, etc and seeing all same movies listed over and over again is a waste.

- Sorry, but you're probably in the minority that think "it's better" - OD sucks because:
*you have very limited skip/FF/REW options, than you do when you DVR something
*you have watch things dictated by when the content comes & goes on OD; when I DVR shows, I can keep them as long as I want them - & watch them on MY (limited) schedule!
*OD does NOT have ALL of the same content when it's on (ALL) the linear multiplex channels (I don't care what you or CC says...)
*I can watch shows I DVR'd, even AFTER I've canceled the premium channel(s) where those shows were recorded from

- I GUARANTEE you that Brighthouse has it BOTH ways...so their subs can watch it either way; everyone's happy (oh yea, U-verse has pretty much ALL the linear premium feeds AND the OD as well...)

- A "waste" of WHAT??? If you're talking about bandwidth, obviously it is NOT a problem for Brighthouse; nobody seems to know what CC's problem is...IN spite of the fact that CC has NO more analog signals to suck up bandwidth, (& IS sitting on gobs of empty QAM's!) while BH still has a full analog lineup!

So...now tell us why "it's better" that CC IS missing SO many other (basic) HD channels ENTIRELY in it's (limited) HD lineup???

I'll add one more thing. The OD HD picture quality is not as good as the linear channel.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

said by kb1:

I'll add one more thing. The OD HD picture quality is not as good as the linear channel.

Not always, especially with local channels. Some here in Chicago, particularly WLS (ABC) and WTTW (PBS) are severely compressed. The OnDemand copies often look better. The same goes even for the SD version of some channels. Not to mention that some channels offer HD versions OnDemand, even when we don't have the HD channel itself (FXX and Smithsonian for instance.)

LoveHD

join:2011-07-31
reply to Acct101

Comcast is sitting on space?! Plenty of space to add plenty of HD?!

Sounds like the company is motivated not by service but by something else.

It is hard not to come down on Comcast for taking away premium movie programmers' HD. Those multi-screens. It is hard not to come down on Comcast for not having available throughout all its served areas beIN Sport HD, Disney Junior HD, Fox Sports 2 HD, TV Land HD, etc.

But I'm glad people here are not having a hard time coming down on Comcast for all this … and plenty more. (Or I should say … less.)

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to andyross

said by andyross:

Some here in Chicago, particularly WLS (ABC) and WTTW (PBS) are severely compressed.

On the other hand, WBBM looks like it should be OK.

Channel: broadcast bit rate
WMAQ: 13.2 - 15.6Mbps
WLS: 5.1 - 10.6Mbps
WTTW: 8.95 - 11Mbps
WBBM: 18Mbps

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
reply to LoveHD

said by LoveHD:

Comcast is sitting on space?! Plenty of space to add plenty of HD?!

Yep, they're sitting on a crapton of space after eliminating the remaining analogs. Some of it has been used for extreme HSI priced at levels that almost no one can afford, very little has been used for new HD channels (or even HD versions of SD that they carry such as Sundance, Reelz, most of the Encores etc. which should be addable at no cost other than the QAM slots). Go figure.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to camper

said by camper:

said by andyross:

Some here in Chicago, particularly WLS (ABC) and WTTW (PBS) are severely compressed.

On the other hand, WBBM looks like it should be OK.

Channel: broadcast bit rate
WMAQ: 13.2 - 15.6Mbps
WLS: 5.1 - 10.6Mbps
WTTW: 8.95 - 11Mbps
WBBM: 18Mbps

I can tell just from the DVR's Live buffer. WLS can buffer up to 45-50 minutes sometimes. WBBM is barely 20 (supposedly, max bandwidth should give a 15 minute buffer.) I've seen some SD channels buffer only 45-50 minutes!! WLS is so horrible due to Livewell HD + SD.

kb1

South Bend, IN
reply to Acct101

Can anyone do a bitrate test to see if the signal from a HD linear channel is the same as the signal from OD? Where do the OD channels come from? Are they stored on some big hard drive? If that is the case you would think they should look the same quality wise as your DVR.
Sorry to get off topic here.

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
reply to Acct101

So is this the year that Comcast remembers to give us more HD channels?

Spiderman865

join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Acct101:

It would be nice.
--
Yesh

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
reply to Acct101

said by Acct101:

Nope.

It's the year Comcast subscribers to switch to FiOS, U-Verse or DirecTV.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE

Now even Charter....

So they remove analog - and can provide 200 HD channels. We've had analog gone for years with Comcast. Yeah...

ww.tvpredictions.com/tv010314.htm
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by JeepMatt:

Now even Charter....

FIFY: »www.tvpredictions.com/tv010314.htm

Also see:

Charter’s Preps Next Phase Of All-Digital Expansion