C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to osravens

Re: [Content] So does Comcast ever add channels?

Check out this story:

»www.deadline.com/2014/01/ces-com···ung-tvs/

Ironically it was tweeted by the SVP of Software Engineering. Here's the best statement:

Comcast Cable SVP Matt Strauss says that later this year the company’s X1 set top boxes “will deliver 4K UHD content to all 4K capable televisions.”

So, ONLY the X1 box will deliver 4K signals hmmm? I'd say this falls more into my IPTV theory yet again.

If this does come true, i'll be giddier than a school girl....

LoveHD

join:2011-07-31

said by JeepMatt:

Check out this story:

It sounds like switched digital video will be necessary as an industry-wide way of being able to deliver all HD. I am not familiar with this; but after your last response to me I looked it up. Pretty straight-forward report I came across explaining that it has an effective means of using the bandwidth more discriminately and not exhausting capacity.

Given that Comcast ranks as the top cable provider, it sounds like the company should have been leading the way of this. Obviously that wasn't the case.

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
reply to JeepMatt

said by JeepMatt:

So, ONLY the X1 box will deliver 4K signals hmmm? I'd say this falls more into my IPTV theory yet again.

Sure does seem to lend weight to it

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA
reply to LoveHD

said by LoveHD:

said by JeepMatt:

Check out this story:

It sounds like switched digital video will be necessary as an industry-wide way of being able to deliver all HD. I am not familiar with this; but after your last response to me I looked it up. Pretty straight-forward report I came across explaining that it has an effective means of using the bandwidth more discriminately and not exhausting capacity.

Given that Comcast ranks as the top cable provider, it sounds like the company should have been leading the way of this. Obviously that wasn't the case.

SDV is actually more a stop-gap solution before going totally IP based. It's been hypothesized that Comcast is effectively going to skip over the partial solution that SDV offers and move to total IP slowly thanks to the IP native foundation of the X1 platform.

kb1

join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN
reply to Acct101

So it looks like customers that have the X-1 box will be the only ones getting new HD channels. Thanks Comcast. Take care of your shareholders but not your HD TV customers.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3

1 edit

said by kb1:

So it looks like customers that have the X-1 box will be the only ones getting new HD channels.

That's not true, as according to the articles in this other post »Re: [HD] Get Ready for "Ultra-HDTV" non-X1 customers will be able to stream 4K material via an "Xfinity TV 4K app" which will also be supplied with new Samsung U-HDTVs:
quote:
Comcast announced Monday that it has teamed with Samsung to deliver 4K content to 2014 Samsung UHD TVs later this year via an Xfinity TV 4K app that will be integrated with the set and allow users to stream, via the Internet, a menu of 4K movies and TV shows on-demand. Comcast said it also working with programmers, including NBCUniversal, to provide a library of 4K choices for the Xfinity TV 4K app.
EDIT: From: Samsung teams up with Comcast for ultra-HD movies »www.cedmagazine.com/news/2014/01···d-movies

quote:
At a press conference at the International CES gadget show in Las Vegas, Samsung said it would get UHD content through partnerships with U.S. streaming services, bypassing traditional cable and disc delivery. Under its partnership with Comcast Corp., the largest U.S. cable company, Samsung TVs would get UHD content through an app running on the Internet-connected TV, bypassing Comcast's set-top boxes.

Marcus Carr

join:2009-04-08
Baltimore, MD
reply to Acct101

Buckeye just got Comcast/Lionsgate/Sony-owned Fearnet HD. Yet I still can't get it on Comcast.

»www.multichannel.com/distributio···c/147517

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
reply to telcodad

They just announced on CNBC that Roberts spoke at CES just a bit ago - and Comcast had their 1st TV subscriber gains in 26 quarters in Q4 - the stock is now moving up nicely since the announcement.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by JeepMatt:

... Comcast had their 1st TV subscriber gains in 26 quarters in Q4 ...

Yeah, I guess that's due to all those new HD channels they added in 2013, along with their new, lower, competitive prices ... wait ... huh?

Comcast Grows Subscribers For First Time in 26 Quarters
By Paul Bond, The Hollywood Reporter - January 7, 2014
»www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/c···e-668881

wolf

@74.121.100.x

No, it's from rebranding to XFINITY...

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

3 edits

said by wolf :

No, it's from rebranding to XFINITY...

While that may be a small part of it [the Xfinity brand was launched 4 years ago »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfinity#Services ], it looks like Roberts is crediting the launch of the X1/X2 platform, along with improvements in their VoD services.

EDIT: From: Roberts: Comcast ‘Modestly Grew’ Q4 Video Subs »www.multichannel.com/cable-opera···s/147534
quote:
Roberts alluded that the gain was in part due to the MSO’s advances in TV Everywhere, and its X1 platform, which provides customers with a more user-friendly guide. He said that Comcast plans to accelerate the rollout of the X-1 – which currently has about 1 million users – and the next generation X2 to more than half of its footprint in the next few years.

SpHeRe31459

Sacramento, CA

said by telcodad:

it looks like Roberts is crediting the launch of the X1/X2 platform, along with improvements in their VoD services.

That's what I was thinking. It's the promise of "cool looking" tech that's gotten people to stay subs and/or gotten new subs.

wolf

@74.121.100.x
reply to telcodad

I was kidding about the rebranding...

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by wolf :

I was kidding about the rebranding...

OK, I wasn't sure.

Remember: "Xfinity - the future of awesome!"

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

2 edits
reply to Joe12345678

said by JeepMatt:

New December Bill -
:
WWE On Demand is also ending next month (for anyone interested).

said by Joe12345678:

WWE Network is coming next year to replace it

WWE Network Launches February 24
WWE Network, the first-ever 24/7 streaming network, will launch live in the U.S. on Monday, February 24.
WWE Press Release, Business Wire - January 8, 2014
»www.businesswire.com/news/home/2···ruary-24

Also:

CES: WWE to Launch OTT Network
WWE Network to Debut Feb. 24 to Feature Wrestling Outfit’s PPV Events

By R. Thomas Umstead, Multichannel News - January 8, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/ott/ces-wwe···k/147565

EDIT: Also an editorial on the FierceCable site:

Revenge of the McMahons: The story behind WWE Network
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable, January 9, 2014
»www.fiercecable.com/story/reveng···14-01-09

EDIT2: And some TV distributors are not happy about it:

DirecTV may sever ties with WWE over new online network
By Joe Flint, The LA Times -January 9, 2014
»www.latimes.com/entertainment/en···12.story

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by JeepMatt:

Love-
Personally I have no idea.

However I'm still keeping my potential theory alive:

- They're going to announce that via the X1/X2 platform - all new HD will be delivered via IP. They'll then slowly migrate more channels over to IP as needed to reclaim more QAM's for HSI.
:
Yes, this would "screw" existing customers with older boxes - but will be an incentive for them to upgrade to the new platform.

Yes, that jives with my "saving/clearing spectrum space for D3.1" theory »Re: [Content] So does Comcast ever add channels? , and I like your X1/X2 platform angle.

Makes me wonder if future X2 (or "X3"?) platform devices will be spec'ed to be DOCSIS 3.1 compliant?

JeepMatt See Profile - I guess this supports your theory of Comcast trying to go "all IP" on us:

Comcast Expands ‘Xfinity On Campus’ Trial
Drexel University Next To Test MSO’s Multiscreen IP Video Service Tailored To College Students

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - January 9, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/distributio···l/147574
quote:
Comcast’s campus service project represents another step in the MSO’s broader IP video transition, which is partly based on VIPER (»www.multichannel.com/distributio···9/146174), the MSO’s home grown cloud-based, IP video infrastructure for set-tops and mobile devices. For its regular residential video service, Comcast’s Xfinity TV Go app currently provides access to VOD and 37 channels of live TV on mobile devices, and a smaller set of channels on browsers.
EDIT: FYI - You can read more about Comcast's VIPER (Video IP Engineering Research) Project here:

Comcast chief software architect explains VIPER project
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - October 8, 2013
»www.fiercecable.com/story/comcas···13-10-08

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to Acct101

OK, it looks like INSP, a family entertainment network, is being added to some Comcast systems down south, but it sounds like it might just be provided in SD (channel number 91 in Nashville and 260 in Atlanta):

INSP Launches In Comcast’s Big South Region
More Than 850,000 Subscribers Added in Atlanta and Nashville
INSP Press Release, PRWeb - January 9, 2014
»www.prweb.com/releases/2014/01/p···5668.htm

EDIT: It appears to only be provided in SD: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inspir···_Network

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE

Well Thank God! (get it?? LOL). Already here on 95/295 in DE.

And nice find on the Drexel IP trial.....just sayin'...
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

Acct101

join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

That channel is pretty good, good clean happy shows! (I get tired of all the gore on Crimminal Minds and CSI)

mount laurel

@comcast.net

Posted on February Bill for Garden State, NJ:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Effective February 27, 2014 the
following channel will change channel numbers: LOCORG from
ch 2 to ch 97. In addition, on February 27, 2014, KJWP SD and
HD will be added to ch 2 and ch 788 respectively.

Nothing else

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to JeepMatt

OK, here's a channel that may be showing up in the Philadelphia market soon:

TCA: Revolt Network Still Not Available In Comcast Hometown
By Lisa De Moraes, Deadline Hollywood - January 12, 2014
»www.deadline.com/2014/01/tca-rev···ometown/

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by JeepMatt:

:
However I'm still keeping my potential theory alive:

- They're going to announce that via the X1/X2 platform - all new HD will be delivered via IP. They'll then slowly migrate more channels over to IP as needed to reclaim more QAM's for HSI.
:

Yes, that jives with my "saving/clearing spectrum space for D3.1" theory »Re: [Content] So does Comcast ever add channels? , and I like your X1/X2 platform angle.

Makes me wonder if future X2 (or "X3"?) platform devices will be spec'ed to be DOCSIS 3.1 compliant?

Well, JeepMatt See Profile, it looks like we were both wrong! Today it became obvious to me what Comcast was doing saving all those HD channel slots - for the launch of the AccuWeather Channel group later this year: »msg deleted

With the soon-to-be launch of the main "AccuWeather Channel," followed quickly by the launches of the associated "AccuWeatherScan" local-forecast-all-the-time channel and the "AccuWeather Reality Series" channel (with even more to come), they just had to hold all those HD QAMs open!

Wait ... What? ... Something about TWC being owned by the "NBCUniversal News Group," and NBC-U being owned by Comcast now? ... Something about the probability of the AccuWeather Channel being on the Comcast lineup about the same as a forecast of "Snow in Hell"?

Oh ... Nevermind!

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

JeepMatt See Profile - I guess this supports your theory of Comcast trying to go "all IP" on us:

Comcast Expands ‘Xfinity On Campus’ Trial
Drexel University Next To Test MSO’s Multiscreen IP Video Service Tailored To College Students

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - January 9, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/distributio···l/147574

quote:
Comcast’s campus service project represents another step in the MSO’s broader IP video transition, which is partly based on VIPER (»www.multichannel.com/distributio···9/146174), the MSO’s home grown cloud-based, IP video infrastructure for set-tops and mobile devices. For its regular residential video service, Comcast’s Xfinity TV Go app currently provides access to VOD and 37 channels of live TV on mobile devices, and a smaller set of channels on browsers.

On the MCN site this morning:

Comcast Releases App For Campus-Based IP Video Service
First ‘Xfinity on Campus’ App Targets iOS Devices

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - January 14, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/distributio···e/147674
quote:
Comcast has quietly released an app for Apple iOS devices that supports “Xfinity On Campus,” a new IP video service tailored for universities.

Comcast released the 1.0.0 version of the app on Monday, Jan. 13. The MSO has not yet released a version for Android.

The new app will expand the number of devices that can run Xfinity On Campus, an authenticated service that delivers live TV and on-demand via a school’s managed broadband network. Previously access to the Xfinity On Campus service was limited to PC Web browsers.

Asom

@everestkc.net

TiVo shoes El Rey Network 176 Comcast Olathe.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Acct101

Just noticed that HSN2 was added on channel 85 here in the NW Chicago suburbs.

Acct101

join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Cool and in my favorite city. Nothing here in Philly on that channel.

Mount Laural

@comcast.net

What is channel 1994 (EAS) on Garden State NJ system? When I switch to it nothing appears.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by Mount Laural :

What is channel 1994 (EAS) on Garden State NJ system? When I switch to it nothing appears.

Well, actually it's good that nothing appears right now, because I believe that is the designated Emergency Alert System (EAS) channel on your system.

When the EAS mode is activated in an actual emergency (or for a periodic test), then your cable box will be force-tuned to that channel for special instructions.

See: »Emergency Alert System Channel and »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Comcast

The Drought Continues

Newest bill this morning - only news:
Effective March 13, 2014, Sportsman Channel chls 736 and 1631 will move from the Sports Entertainment Package to the Digital Preferred Package.

So, we're now on 21 months with no new HD.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

LoveHD

join:2011-07-31

said by JeepMatt:

Newest bill this morning - only news:
Effective March 13, 2014, Sportsman Channel chls 736 and 1631 will move from the Sports Entertainment Package to the Digital Preferred Package.

So, we're now on 21 months with no new HD.

There may something odd happening behind the scenes at Comcast.