Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
reply to Acct101

Re: [Content] So does Comcast ever add channels?

On another forum, someone told me the reason we see no adds is essentially, Comcast is out of space which is the reason they are pushing ON DEMAND so hard.

Is this true?

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
They moved all of limited basic to digital. Surely some space was freed up for 25 ish QAM slots.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
Around here extended basic was analog, and that was moved to digital. I suspect close to 100 analog (i.e., 6MHz wide) channels were freed up.

Figure 3 HD channels or 5 SD channels per 6MHz analog channel?

I'm thinking Comcast wants to get a few more price increases through before they add channels and then charge for the added channels.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
hmm most systems only topped out analog at channel 78 so probably 78 or less analogs were removed. it is 3 HD or 10 to 15 SD channels per QAM.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to Acct101
said by Acct101:

On another forum, someone told me the reason we see no adds is essentially, Comcast is out of space which is the reason they are pushing ON DEMAND so hard.

Is this true?

said by cypherstream:

They moved all of limited basic to digital. Surely some space was freed up for 25 ish QAM slots.

I think many of those freed-up QAM slots are being used to provide more downstream HSI carriers (many systems are expanding to 16 DS channels now) with other reserved for upcoming DOCSIS 3.1 use.

See: »Re: [Content] So does Comcast ever add channels?

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to motorola870
said by motorola870:

it is 3 HD or 10 to 15 SD channels per QAM.

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't sure about the number of SD per channel.

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
reply to telcodad
Well I posed the question of why none of the sports packages are shown in HD and that was the answer I received on the main Comcast forum.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to telcodad
But most systems already had 8 DS carriers. So you free up 25 channels and you add 8 more DS. You still have 17 open slots.

This is assuming that the first analog transition of Expanded Basic a few years back had its entire bandwidth 100% utilized prior to limited basic going full digital.

How much are they sitting on for D3.1?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to Acct101
said by telcodad:

said by Acct101:

On another forum, someone told me the reason we see no adds is essentially, Comcast is out of space which is the reason they are pushing ON DEMAND so hard. ...

[I think many of those freed-up QAM slots are being used to provide more downstream HSI carriers (many systems are expanding to 16 DS channels now) with other reserved for upcoming DOCSIS 3.1 use.

said by Acct101:

Well I posed the question of why none of the sports packages are shown in HD and that was the answer I received on the main Comcast forum.

Yes, they're out of "TV space," and using/withholding other spectrum space for HSI use now.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

But most systems already had 8 DS carriers. So you free up 25 channels and you add 8 more DS. You still have 17 open slots.

They may also be looking to provide up to 24 DS HSI carriers, given that they are providing/using 24xN gateways now.

said by cypherstream:

IDK, but:

DOCSIS 3.1 Targets 10-Gig Downstream
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - October 18, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/cable-video···d/699136
quote:
... To hit its capacity targets, the cable industry wants to increase its spectral efficiency by about 50 percent. As expected, the new specs will do away with 6MHz- and 8MHz-wide channel spacing and instead use smaller (20KHz-to-50KHz-wide) orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) subcarriers; these can be bonded inside a block spectrum that could end up being about 200MHz wide.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
If it ends up being 200 MHz, then that knocks out 34 RF channels right there. More if they increase the return. Though if they have to visit every node/amp to change diplex filters, might as well drop in 1 GHz upgrade packs while they are there.

They just really need to buy TWC to absorb their space saving SDV and unified channel lineup technology. TWC knows what they are doing in video, as Comcast does in Internet, Phone and Metro-E. Could be a good combination if they actually do share technology resources.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by telcodad:

said by cypherstream:

IDK, but:

DOCSIS 3.1 Targets 10-Gig Downstream
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - October 18, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/cable-video···d/699136
quote:
... To hit its capacity targets, the cable industry wants to increase its spectral efficiency by about 50 percent. As expected, the new specs will do away with 6MHz- and 8MHz-wide channel spacing and instead use smaller (20KHz-to-50KHz-wide) orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) subcarriers; these can be bonded inside a block spectrum that could end up being about 200MHz wide.

said by cypherstream:

If it ends up being 200 MHz, then that knocks out 34 RF channels right there. More if they increase the return.

Most likely they will start with a smaller block size than 200 MHz, possibly just 100 MHz, and increase it once they start removing DOCSIS 3.0 QAMs (and some more Video ones).

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
Docsis 3.1 block sizes start at 96 MHz (16 channels) and some of that can be used to service earlier Docsis version modems.
--
You cannot fix a problem that you refuse to acknowledge.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by telcodad:

said by cypherstream:

I think many of those freed-up QAM slots are being used to provide more downstream HSI carriers (many systems are expanding to 16 DS channels now) with other reserved for upcoming DOCSIS 3.1 use.

said by cypherstream:

:

said by telcodad:

said by cypherstream:

If it ends up being 200 MHz, then that knocks out 34 RF channels right there. More if they increase the return.

Most likely they will start with a smaller block size than 200 MHz, possibly just 100 MHz, and increase it once they start removing DOCSIS 3.0 QAMs (and some more Video ones).

said by DrDrew:

Docsis 3.1 block sizes start at 96 MHz (16 channels) and some of that can be used to service earlier Docsis version modems.

Thanks DrDrew See Profile !

So cypherstream See Profile, there's where your 17 open slots will go right there!

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Click for full size
Well I'll be.... Time to upgrade past 750 MHz!

That's another thing I've noticed. I know many Comcast systems that are only 750. Now they are pushing its limits to bleeding edge... 770 MHz or so, but from my experience more Time Warner systems are 860.

I have service electric and they are 860 Mhz. A few months ago they moved the limited basic to digital clear qam. Here is a band scan with an SDR scanner. The tall spikes are analog colorbars on channels 2,16,54,70,135. The spike at the far right around 932 MHz is a harmonic image of the colorbars on channel 16. There's another spike at 75 MHz for set top control as well.

Marcus Carr

join:2009-04-08
Baltimore, MD
reply to Acct101
I got an email about SEC coming, but no word on HD yet.

BigBearsFan

join:2009-08-01
Galesburg, IL
Same here . When they added Big Ten Network they added one HD channel and 2 sd channels for overflow.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
According to the official Comcast forum they will be adding sd and hd. In the sec states it will be on digital starter everywhere else digital preferred.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
Just found out here in Chicago, SEC SD will be on 421, and HD on 336. We are also getting UToo HD (broadcast WMEU-CD 48.1) on channel 230. All this on 8/14.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
reply to Acct101

Just got notification in my bill that a local SD channel (the Fox affiliate) is being removed at the end of this month.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to andyross
no over flow?

BigBearsFan

Galesburg, IL
reply to andyross
Our area it is 601 for HD and 537 for SD.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

According to the official Comcast forum they will be adding sd and hd. In the sec states it will be on digital starter everywhere else digital preferred.

That post on the Comcast Support forum about the SEC Network:

quote:
... The majority of our cable systems will begin rolling out SEC Network in August to both SD and HD customers.

The systems in the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Florida that will offer this channel will have SEC Network on the Digital Starter package and systems launching in any other state will offer SEC Network as part of the Digital Preferred package.

Additional details will be provided as they become available. Thanks for your patience.

»www.comcast.com/sec-network.html

»corporate.comcast.com/news-infor···-xfinity

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
FYI - From a series of posts today in that thread, it appears the Northeast markets will get the SEC Network a week later, starting on August 21st: »forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-a···1#M51355

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by telcodad:

FYI - From a series of posts today in that thread, it appears the Northeast markets will get the SEC Network a week later, starting on August 21st

FYI - From the latest post in that thread today, it appears that many Northeast markets are now scheduled to receive this channel starting tomorrow (August 15th):

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firsthenry wrote:
So everywhere else in the world is getting SEC network tomorrow. Why is it Aug 21st for the northeast?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE for our customers from Maine south to Virginia and east to Ohio...

Many of our Northeast Division areas (from Maine south to Virginia and east to Ohio) are now currently scheduled to receive this channel on August 15 (not August 21 as communicated earlier). Thanks for your patience.

Below reposted from the Accepted Solution in the main SEC Channel thread:

The majority of our cable systems will begin rolling out SEC Network this month to both SD and HD customers.

The systems in the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Florida that will offer this channel will have SEC Network on the Digital Starter package and systems launching in any other state will offer SEC Network as part of the Digital Preferred package.

Thanks for your patience.

»www.comcast.com/sec-network.html

»corporate.comcast.com/news-infor···-xfinity
:
To quickly locate the SEC Network (once it is available) –

Using the silver Comcast remote control and traditional blue on-screen guide, press the Menu button twice, then select Find Shows, then select Sports, then select All Sports – you should be able to scroll through that list up and down to locate the SEC Network in SD or HD.

X1 customers with our black on-screen guide. Using the black Comcast remote control, enter in SEC (numbers 7-3-2) and the SEC Network should appear as an option near the top of the list. Select and press OK.

BigBearsFan

Galesburg, IL
We got it around 1:00 P.M. nothing showing yet except team logos and then programming notes

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Is SEC Network part of Sports and Entertainment Package? Or did they demand carriage on a lower tier (like NFL network did). For comparison without the sports pack, on DirecTV SEC Network HD comes in fine. Not sure if its a promotional thing, or if everyone's bill will go up to compensate for the carriage rate of $1.30 per-subscriber per-month in SEC markets or $0.25 in non-SEC markets for a channel whether you subscribe to sports or not.

This is more of a carrier agnostic question I guess.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
From telco's post right above yours...

We got it yesterday on Tivo, 1 SD channel and 2 HD channels assigned.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
said by GTFan:

We got it yesterday on Tivo, 1 SD channel and 2 HD channels assigned.

2 HD channels??

Here in Chicago, both of the SEC channels (SD and HD) are sharing the frequency with the Xfinity 3D channel. The ESPN 3D channel also used to share that frequency, so they are just re-using it.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
Yep, don't know why unless they're going to show more than one game at a time at some point.