spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Spiderman865
join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL

Spiderman865 to Os

to Os

Re: [Content] So does Comcast ever add channels?

Hell, Cablevision has more HD premiums. I think it's time to drop my premiums once and for all.

Ollie49
@69.181.90.x

Ollie49 to kb1

Anon

to kb1
said by kb1:

Comcast takes away again. Just got my latest bill. Showtime 2 HD gone 11/20/2014. Starz Kids HD, Starz Edge HD, Starz Comedy HD gone 12/11/2014.
Sportsman HD, Outdoor HD, FXX HD added on 10/16/2014. 4 gone, 3 added. Thanks Comcast.

Welcome to the world of takeaways. Comcast removed all of our Premium HDs except for one each in our time zone in Northern California several years ago. I subscribe to HBO, Showtime, Starz and Cinemax and between them I have a grand total of five premium HD channels (we have the HBO Spanish channel). I'm actually surprised that it took this long to strip you of your HD channels since CC has been hell-bent on doing this for some time. One of their excuses is that the On Demand system is more than adequate which is only partially true. If you look at the SD Premium listings there is a lot more content than appears in On Demand. When our analogue channels were finally zapped we were hoping that the recovered bandwidth would result in more good quality HD channels but any additions to the lineup dribble out at a snail's pace and are not very interesting.
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101

Premium Member

So what channels has Comcast Added?

joe31th39
@comcast.net

joe31th39

Anon

Not that it would do much (ok i know wouldn't do any good) but has anyone even email the the networks/channels themselfs about having the channels remove, channels unavailable in there area. Of course they probably don't have any more control over comcast adding channels than we do.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to Acct101

Premium Member

to Acct101
Acct-
As we both know - they haven't added a single channel in our area other than SEC Network when it launched - and I believe Univision Deportes.

All I'm glad about is at least in Seattle I'll get Cooking Channel HD with Comcast.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

1 recommendation

mikedz4 to joe31th39

to joe31th39
Comcast uses the excuse they don't have the room for more hd channels.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by mikedz4:

Comcast uses the excuse they don't have the room for more hd channels.

That's because they are saving any empty/freed-up spectrum to provide more downstream HSI carriers (many systems are expanding to 16 DS channels now) along some space also being reserved for upcoming DOCSIS 3.1 use.
warcraft82
join:2008-11-12
Philadelphia, PA

warcraft82 to Acct101

to Acct101
More HD channels being taken away:
quote:
On 6/9/15, the following HD channels will no longer be available: IndiePlex HD channel 1862, RetroPlex HD channel 1863 and Crime & Investigation HD channel 1231.

Spiderman865
join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL

Spiderman865

said by warcraft82:

quote:
On 6/9/15, the following HD channels will no longer be available: IndiePlex HD channel 1862, RetroPlex HD channel 1863 and Crime & Investigation HD channel 1231.

Unbelievable. Let's take away HD channels instead of adding them.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

It's a shame they haven't added many channels in years. Hopefully they finish the mpeg4 transition this year and can add channels.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

imo, Comcast won't be adding channels until they get another one or two price increases in place for the current channel lineups. And Comcast isn't too keen on price increases while the merger is in limbo with the regulators....

caster
@sysvana.com

caster to Spiderman865

Anon

to Spiderman865
said by Spiderman865:

said by warcraft82:

quote:

Unbelievable. Let's take away HD channels instead of adding them.

And directv may soon be adding a big chuck of them real soon + even more near the end of the year.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

said by caster :

And now 4k channels. DirecTV is going to simply dominate everyone else, even FIOS I think. But their service is still $$$ in comparison.
Expand your moderator at work
BiggA

BiggA

Premium Member

If you're getting substantial discounts, that makes things more tolerable, but when you add up monthly fees for every box (versus paying once for TiVos), plus losing the bundling discount, plus paying extra for internet, it all adds up.

On the flip side, their SWiM 13 LNB, HR54, C61k, C41, and HR24 make up a sick set of hardware, even if it's not TiVo, and they are undeniably ahead on programming, excluding local subchannels and PEG channels.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to Acct101

Premium Member

to Acct101

Does Comcast add HD channels?

Comcast is removing HD channels here. And not lowering the monthly bill.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by camper:

Does Comcast add HD channels?.

Yeah, it's rare, but Comcast is actually adding the HD version of OWN in a few markets now:

»[HD] OWN HD in Seattle

»[Content] Central NJ Channel Changes
LoveHD
join:2011-07-31
Detroit, MI

LoveHD to Anon

to Anon

said by BiggA:

However, DirecTV is adding a TON of new HD soon, as they have two new satellites online now, which gives them the capacity for dozens more CONUS HD, as well as up to 50 UHD channels. There are some specialty channels not available in HD, but everything I've ever looked for on DirecTV is available in HD, including every sports channel that I can find, every news channel including Al Jazeera and BBC World News, and a bunch of other stuff. But even those specialty channels will be in HD very soon.

Well, DirecTV is now owned by AT&T. A name change is coming. And AT&T was the one which tried to reach a contractual agreement to get Pac-12 Network added to the DirecTV channel lineup. (U-verse has Pac-12 Network. DirecTV has never had Pac-12 Network.) So, what goes on with the "DirecTV" service is now really under control from AT&T. That includes the direction that television product (with the two brands ending up becoming one) takes over the next few years.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to LoveHD

Premium Member

to LoveHD

said by LoveHD:

1. I'm talking about the technical capabilities. They have way more bandwidth to work with.

2. U-Verse has an amazing channel lineup, so hopefully that will carry over to their operations of DirecTV, just with the better picture quality of DirecTV.

3. Most/all of the HD channels that they are going to add they already have in HD. As I understand it, the carriage deals are for the channels, not usually the specific format (other than ESPN where bitrates are specified and HD is likely mandated), so if they already have the SD version, they are free to add the HD version at their leisure under the existing carriage agreement.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to Acct101

to Acct101

Reminder: The TOPIC is ....

[Content] So does Comcast ever add channels?