join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

4 recommendations

trparky

Premium Member

[Updated] (Free) Restore Point Creator 1.7

October 22, 2013 -- Version 1.7 Build 1
First build of version 1.7. Added the ability to delete all restore points that exist on the system (except for the newest). Added logging to the restore point deletion functions, before only the functions that deleted old restore points had logging enabled in them; now all deletion functions have logging enabled in it.

October 23, 2013 -- Version 1.7 Build 2
Fixed a very embarrassing typo in the "System Restore Point Utilities" drop-down menu. "Deletes All Restore Points" should be "Delete All Restore Points". Yeah, I'm embarrassed that that made it into the program. This is a minor update since no other thing was changed in the program.

Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP (some limitations), Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1.
Limitations on Windows XP include the inability to delete System Restore Points, Windows XP doesn't support this ability.

System Requirements: Microsoft .NET Framework v4.0

»www.toms-world.org/blog/ ··· _creator

As always with my programs, to get the new version simply click on the "Check for Updates" button and the program will download the new version and update it for you.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

Thank you, Tom

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

3 recommendations

trparky

Premium Member

It's interesting how many of those software marketers have come out of the woodwork to contact me. Companies like Conduit, Somoto, etc. Each and every one of them I have done basic research into and they all stink worse than week old garbage.

Needless to say, I'm not going to be using ANY of them!

I would like to get some money for this program through some donations but to turn to stinkin', slimy, no good, filthy, garbage-ridden companies to get that money? No way in hell! It'd be a cold day in hell before I do that!
trparky

1 edit

trparky

Premium Member

October 25, 2013 -- Version 1.7 Build 3
Fixed a possible issue that may occur if Windows 8 is upgraded to Windows 8.1. There is a possibility that a Registry setting that the program sets on Windows 8/8.1 to fix System Restore to make it function like it did in past versions of Windows was undone during the upgrade of Windows 8 to 8.1. There is a check for this now in the program and if it detects the change was undone, the program re-applies it. Thank Microsoft for this issue.
carolf11
join:2013-10-28
usa

carolf11 to trparky

to trparky
hi trparky,

I have been using your program with great results
just wanted to let you know for those who are trying
your program and also use TuneUp Utilities in turbo
mode it cause's a conflict with your program and also
with System Restore switch to TuneUp's standard
mode solves the problem.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

trparky

Premium Member

How does it cause a conflict? What conflict does it create? If it's something that I need to change in my program I will do so but without knowing what kind of conflict it is I can't fix it in my program.
carolf11
join:2013-10-28
usa

1 recommendation

carolf11 to trparky

to trparky
Hi again when you run TuneUp any version in
Turbo Mode it disables system restore, on 32 bit
and 64 bit systems, than if you run your Restore
Point Creator it says it was unsuccessful this is
TuneUp's fault. But if you switch TuneUp from
turbo mode to standard or basic Restore Point
Creator works fine problem solved.

This has been an issue with TuneUp for years
not your program's fault it's there's just wanted
you to know about it in case another user had
the same problem.

Take Care,

Carol

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

OK, so I have a beta version out right now. I have some massive amounts of changes in store for the new version but they aren't quite ready for normal distribution yet.

For those of you who want to see what's going on in the development of this program during the beta phase, check out the beta changes at the URL below.

»www.toms-world.org/resto ··· ges.html
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

I'm also slowing down on the speed at which I release new versions. This is so that people don't have to update the program quite as often. This change in the release cycle may result in more public beta versions such as the one that I'm working on right now.
trparky

1 recommendation

trparky

Premium Member

Also, I'm looking for people to help in the translation of the program into multiple languages. I'd like to get German, Spanish, and French as the first languages for the multi-language part of the program. If you would like to contribute/donate your time in doing so, please do so.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
There is no way to make a comment at your website anymore. Plus, it looks entirely different.

I have NOT upgraded to Win 8.1 and I have version 1.7 build 3.

I have Restore Point Creator set to make a restore point every Tuesday and Friday and never delete any. I just noticed that it has NOT made any restore points since Oct 25! Plus, the ones that were listed before Oct 18 have disappeared. I only have Oct 18, 22 and 25 made by the program. Windows 8 made a restore point on Nov 3 when I installed an application and I made one about an hour ago (and that's when I saw that Restore Point Creator stopped making them on Oct 25) and older restore points are gone but I didn't delete any and the program should not be deleting any.

I have LOTS of space for restore points but Windows 8 won't use but a tiny bit of it even when using your program.

I have Log System Restore Point deletions box checked. There is nothing in the log (opened it in Notepad).

I have Confirm Restore Point Deletions box checked. But the points before Oct 18 are gone and I was never asked to confirm deletion.

Nothing unusual has happened with the computer that could have any bearing on disappearing restore points and refusal to have this program make scheduled ones.

It appears that Windows 8 does as it damn well pleases and that really pisses me off.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Does it make restore points manually? I've been running into some major issues with Windows 8/8.1 as of late for a number of users and I'm still trying to track down why. It feels like I'm fighting Microsoft's stupidity here.
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

I'm up to Public Beta 9 right now. I'm rapidly releasing new beta versions with new features.

Whenever Mele20 See Profile gets back to me, I'll be working on fixes for Windows 8. Windows 8 and the subsequent Windows 8.1 has been a serious thorn in my side. Seems like nothing I do seems to work consistently on Windows 8/8.1. I feel like I'm fighting Microsoft here.
Victorian
join:2012-09-19

Victorian to trparky

to trparky
Somewhat different situation yet similar. I'm on Windows 7 and recently noticed that the program was no longer creating scheduled restore points as well. The other issues I haven't seen though.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Are you using the option to create restore points every couple of days or are you doing it nightly?

I put up a beta build with some code in it to create a "last run" file so that you can see if the task is actually running, meaning the scheduled task is being triggered, or if the issue is in the program itself.

The beta can be found at the URL below...
»www.toms-world.org/debug ··· ator.exe
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

Also, check to see if the program is creating restore points when you do it manually in the program.
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

I have just uploaded Public Beta 11.

The change log for this new version is going to be massive by the time I'm done with it. But this is why I'm running a beta trial, to try and get all bugs killed in one shot with one new version.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20 to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
Click for full size
said by trparky:

I'm up to Public Beta 9 right now. I'm rapidly releasing new beta versions with new features.

Whenever Mele20 See Profile gets back to me, I'll be working on fixes for Windows 8. Windows 8 and the subsequent Windows 8.1 has been a serious thorn in my side. Seems like nothing I do seems to work consistently on Windows 8/8.1. I feel like I'm fighting Microsoft here.

I'm sorry I was not able to get on the computer earlier today.

It won't make a restore point manually. I get a popup saying it failed.

It's something in this version causing the problem. I got the scheduled restore point on Oct 25. I had the version PRIOR to this version at that time. The next scheduled restore point was for Oct 29 at 1:21AM. I updated the program at 1:14AM on Oct 29. The restore point scheduled for 1:21AM was NOT made. I recall that I glanced at the new GUI and it looked confusing and I was tired so I didn't explore it then and I did not notice if restore points got deleted during the update but I had that happen with an earlier version where I did notice they disappeared after an update. So, I suspect the update not only did something to make it impossible to make a restore point using the program, either scheduled ones or manual ones, but also deleted all earlier restore points and that is why there is nothing in the Delete Log file.

I apologize for not having paid closer attention when I updated to this version as if I had done that I would have noticed the problem much sooner and could have alerted you sooner.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Are you on Windows 8.1?
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

OK, I think I have an idea of what's going on on your machine Mele20. Go to System Restore Point Utilities -> Manage System Restore Storage Space and check if you have enough disk space assigned for restore points.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
said by trparky:

Are you on Windows 8.1?

I'm still on 8.0.
Mele20

Mele20 to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
said by trparky:

OK, I think I have an idea of what's going on on your machine Mele20. Go to System Restore Point Utilities -> Manage System Restore Storage Space and check if you have enough disk space assigned for restore points.

Yeah, I had already checked to see. I have plenty of space. I can make a restore point if I ignore Restore Point Creator and do it through Windows 8 (I had forgotten how irritating it is to have to make one that way). If I make one through Windows 8 tedious method, it shows up in Restore Point Creator. I just can't make a new point manually using Restore Point Creator.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

That's weird because I looked up the error code in the Microsoft knowledgebase and it said to look at shadow storage space which is what that part of the program manipulated.

I'll have to do some more research into the issue.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
Wow! For the heck of it, I just now tried again to make a manual restore point using Restore Point Creator. It made one!

I had to use a tool last night sent to me by Stardock to thoroughly clean out a malfunctioning Windows Blinds and that required a reboot (and then fresh install of Windows Blinds).

Restore Point Creator is due to make a scheduled restore point tonight at 1:21AM. I will check to see if it makes one then and post here.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

I'd like to close up this beta testing soon, that means I'd like to have a number of you start hammering this program and see what's still broken and needs to be fixed.

Suffice it to say, the next version is going to be version 1.8 since the list of changes is quite a list. It reads like a paragraph from a novel. That's how many changes and fixes I've made to the program.

So I'd like all of you start hammering on the program, make it break. I'd like to get as much fixed in one shot as I can.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
Restore Point Creator did NOT make the restore point scheduled for Friday at 1:21AM.

So, evidently, the program will now make a MANUAL restore point but is still ignoring making scheduled ones.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Have you got the recent beta version, beta 12? I fixed a regression in beta 11. I would look for that.

Also, check to see if the scheduled task is still there and active.
Victorian
join:2012-09-19

Victorian to trparky

to trparky
Ok, after some experimenting I find these error messages in the Event Viewer:

This one is a .Net error

EVENT DATA

Application: Restore Point Creator.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException Stack: at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel() at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(System.String[]) at Restore_Point_Creator.My.ReaderSecurityHeader.Member(System.String[])

and this one is the Application error

EVENT DATA

Restore Point Creator.exe
526b23a3
KERNELBASE.dll
51fb10c6
e0434352
0000812f
99c
01cedde5f71dc0cb
C:\Program Files\Restore Point Creator\Restore Point Creator.exe
C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
35d120cd-49d9-11e3-810a-f46d04074e30

Hope this is of some use.

EDIT

Sorry, forgot to add that these errors are from the program trying to do a scheduled task. I can manually create restore points just fine.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
Click for full size
said by trparky:

Have you got the recent beta version, beta 12? I fixed a regression in beta 11. I would look for that.

Also, check to see if the scheduled task is still there and active.

No, I don't have the beta. I have ver 1.7 build 3

Task Scheduler says the task has never been run! That makes no sense because it was last run on Oct 25.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

I would get the beta version that I have out. I have a lot of fixes included in that beta version.