Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

Looking to make calls using tablet

I have WIFI and want to find something I can port my cell phone # over and use my tablet (android) to make/receive calls/texts. I'm looking for something that doesn't require google voice because of the negative reviews I heard. Any ideas?

-Rob

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:41
Maybe the magic jack app?

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
reply to Rob_
Negative reviews such as?

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Rob_
Maybe skype?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Rob_
I've never had an issue with Google voice

RobinK

join:2004-04-16
Canada
reply to Rob_
Fongo.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Optimum Online
reply to Rob_
If you're looking for a VOIP service, I'd suggest you ask this topic be moved to the VoiP Tech Chat forum. »VOIP Tech Chat
Lots of helpful people there who can give input and offer their experiences both with porting and Android apps.
--
Ad astra per alas porci!!

AppleGuy
Premium
join:2013-09-08
Canada
reply to RobinK
I'd second Fongo, but isn't that Canada only?

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to Rob_
Nothing wrong with Google Voice. It's not perfect, but it's *FREE*. I've used it for something like 4 years now and I'm more than happy with it.

As for a tablet solution (with or without GV in the mix):
    •CSipSimple client
    •IPKALL for a free virtual phone number (Washington State area codes only, though).
    •LocalPhone for terminating your inbound calls and placing outbound calls.

IPKALL requires at least one *inbound* call on your number every 30 days (sliding). Otherwise, the number is immediately canceled for you and there is absolutely no means of getting it back. No exceptions. None.

LocalPhone is not free for making outbound calls (no charge for inbound). It's the cheapest of the virtual voip providers, and good call quality. US calls are $0.005 minute. Canada is $0.01/minute. (1-minute increments.)
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
If you can't cope with a Washington state phone number, that's were GV is a good choice. Get both GV and IPKALL numbers. Point GV at IPK and any other numbers you want, and give out the GV digits. That's also real helpful if you somehow go 30 days without any calls on the IPK and it yanks the number from you.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
reply to Rob_
»www.theverge.com/2013/10/31/5052 ··· ext-year

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
This is specifically for apps that "hook in" to GV directly, other than anything Genuine GOOG. It does not affect using GV to point to third-party voip numbers.
--

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to Rob_
3 or 4 years ago [was it that long ago when that occurred], I was in the hospital with my son. A friend had given me a first gen Ipad.
We skyped home to my wife, and she could video chat with us, over the Ipad and her laptop.
Since then, I've been a fan of skype.

But what you are suggesting is interesting, because all it seems to be, is turning your tablet into an extension of your cell phone. Without using skype or any other type of program, except what is native to your phone.

I think there is a teamspeak app for tablets as well. Just to add another type of program.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
reply to Rob_
said by Rob_:

I'm looking for something that doesn't require google voice because of the negative reviews I heard.

-Rob

I've been using GV since it was called GrandCentral without any problems whatsoever. Can you tell us where you found negative reviews and did they outnumber the positive reviews?