uniqs

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to gooner

Premium Member

to gooner

Re: MacBook Air or Pro

Get either with the MOST ram option you can afford. You cannot upgrade ram in these after--it is on the board.

The retina is just AWESOME to use/look at. I've had to replace a few (spills...) and was like WOW... working on a 15" right now... replaced the logicboard on it... what a PITA...

gooner
join:2013-07-05
St Catharines, ON

gooner to Daemon

to Daemon
Looking at that, 8GB is now a no brainer. I do use photo programs and often have word (or some sort of writer) open while having multiple tabs open on a browser.

As for Linux, I'm writing this in Mint 15 XFCE and only have Chrome (a few tabs) open and my memory is at about 10% used (of 8GB).
Even opening up other programs (Writer, Calc, GIMP, Firefox, XCHAT) my memory usage only goes to 12%.
gooner

gooner to cableties

to cableties
That's where I'm kind of hung up on right now. Retina or not.

Since I haven't used anything with retina, I'm not sure if it's something I'd be missing or not.
Plus I heard the previous MBPr were rather sluggish do to the retina display.

Since I'm going for an 8GB machine either way, how much faster is the MBPr with a 2.4Ghz i5 processor, over a MBA with 1.3Ghz i5?

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
Netgear R6400
Switches Trash Bin
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

rjackson to Nezmo

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

said by Jehu:

i think there is one but the RPM is so low that it is completely inaudible. I mean silent as in stick your ear on the laptop and can't hear or feel an thing moving.

I seem to remember them saying there's two fans but they are engineered to cancel each other out sound wise.

I wish they did but my fans are definitely audible. Quieter than previous generation laptops for sure, but still loud.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to gooner

Premium Member

to gooner
Not to steal your thunder but I just got my 13" MacBook Pro (Late 2013) i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB flash. It's amazingly fast! The PCIe based flash memory makes the SSD based MacBook Air look like a turtle (albeit is almost 4yrs old)!

MyrddinEmrys
join:2011-11-29
Scarborough, ON

MyrddinEmrys to gooner

to gooner
Option 3 (customized):
13" Macbook Air
1.3 Ghz i5
8GB, 256GB SSD
$1,399

Unless you are going to do heavy graphics or intensive games, a Mac Air will replace a desktop with that option's stats.

Buy a dongle, and attach it to a tv for a bigger experience.

Also, with Mavericks there is a serious bump in battery life and memory use through compression, so you could still get away with only 4 gigs of memory.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by MyrddinEmrys:

so you could still get away with only 4 gigs of memory.

for everyday operations -- yes. i even do a little bit of photoshop and premiere on my 2011 i7 mba. however -- if you plan on doing any virtualisation -- you get a little long in the tooth quick.

q.

Tinkster
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Rosedale, MD

Tinkster to gooner

Premium Member

to gooner
I run a Macbook air desktop replacement at home.

To be honest its not bad at all. Since I put Mavericks the memory management is even better. I do wish I had 8GB of memory but beggars can't be choosers since this is a free setup for me hehe.

If you go with the 8GB and 256HD you will be more than setup unless you are doing allot of crunching.

Cody0
Bob Vance, VR
Premium Member
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA

Cody0

Premium Member

It looks like you're in a really low bit color profile...?

MyrddinEmrys
join:2011-11-29
Scarborough, ON

MyrddinEmrys to tubbynet

to tubbynet
said by tubbynet:

said by MyrddinEmrys:

so you could still get away with only 4 gigs of memory.

for everyday operations -- yes. i even do a little bit of photoshop and premiere on my 2011 i7 mba. however -- if you plan on doing any virtualisation -- you get a little long in the tooth quick.

q.

Yes, I didn't think of that, or running Windows in Bootcamp. My Bad.

Tinkster
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Rosedale, MD

Tinkster to Cody0

Premium Member

to Cody0
I was at work using Logmein lo res for faster performance.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to MyrddinEmrys

MVM

to MyrddinEmrys
said by MyrddinEmrys:

Yes, I didn't think of that, or running Windows in Bootcamp. My Bad.

no worries.
most mac users i know virtualise at some point -- and they just assume it to be there. my air is a little sluggish when running a windows vm, which is why i'm waiting for my employer to get the new haswell pros in. at that point -- i'll be upgrading to an 8gb 13" mbpr for work -- and at some point i'll purchase a 15" mbpr with discrete card for personal use to replace my air.

q.

Cody0
Bob Vance, VR
Premium Member
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA

1 recommendation

Cody0 to gooner

Premium Member

to gooner
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Throwing this out there - It may have been because I was wearing my University's sweater, but I just bought this and got the education discount without any verification. They didn't ask me for verification when I bought my MBA in March either. Or maybe you could bring someone that's eligible with you...? It saved me $100 on this!