Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

CRTC -Lets talk

Got this in a press release this morning.

quote:
CRTC launches Let’s Talk TV: A Conversation with Canadians

OTTAWA-GATINEAU, October 24, 2013 — The Canadian Radio-television and
Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) today launched Let’s Talk TV: A
Conversation with Canadians, a discussion about the future of Canada’s
television system.

“Canadians have an unprecedented choice of television programs that
includes the best of what Canada, and the world, has to offer,” said
Jean-Pierre Blais, Chairman of the CRTC. “Many still enjoy
network-scheduled programming on their TV sets, but the viewing habits of
many others are changing. Let’s Talk TV: A Conversation with Canadians is
an opportunity for all Canadians to tell us what they think of their
television system and how they would like to see it changed.”

The CRTC invites Canadians to share their views on three questions:

- What do you think about what’s on television?
- What do you think about how you receive television programming?
- Do you have enough information to make informed choices and seek
solutions if you’re not satisfied?

The CRTC wants Canadians to share their ideas about the future of Canada’s
television system and is providing Canadians with a number of ways to join
the conversation.

Starting today, Canadians can:

- participate in the online discussion forum at www.crtc.gc.ca/talktv
»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/talktv-parlon ··· tele.htm
- email comments to talktv@crtc.gc.ca
- provide comments by calling 1-800-368-0390
- fax comments to 1-819-994-0218
- complete an online form
»services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/instance ··· Lang=eng,
or
- write to the Secretary General, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0N2

Canadians are encouraged to submit their comments by November 22, 2013.

For the first time, the CRTC is also giving Canadians the opportunity to
host “Flash!” conferences ­ volunteer-hosted events at which participants
are invited to discuss and explore the conversation’s themes. “Flash!”
conferences may be held at any time, and organizers are invited to submit
reports of their discussions to the CRTC no later than January 10, 2014.
The CRTC has prepared a kit »www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com300/cwc1.h ··· 1.htm#a1
to facilitate these conferences.

“Let’s Talk TV: A Conversation with Canadians puts Canadians right where
they belong: at the centre of their television system,” said Mr. Blais.
“We want to ensure that Canada’s TV system speaks to the current and
future needs of Canadians as engaged citizens, as consumers that make
informed choices about programming, and as creators of exceptional
content.”

The CRTC wants to hear from as many Canadians as possible, and the
broadcasting industry can play a role in making them aware of Let’s Talk
TV: A Conversation with Canadians.

“We hope that broadcasters and television distributors will help us bring
Canadians into the conversation,” said Mr. Blais. “For example, television
channels could air public service announcements, local television stations
could host panel discussions, and cable companies could use their
community channels to engage viewers. The comments we receive from
Canadians will help set the stage for the formal public proceeding that
will get underway next year.”

The CRTC’s formal review of the television system will draw on the issues
and priorities identified by Canadians. The review will be launched in
spring 2014, and include a public hearing in September 2014.

Video: TV in Canada

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCtceVFD ··· i9P041hA

Video: Let’s Talk TV: A Conversation with Canadians

»youtu.be/mxed9yhGiw4

Broadcasting Notice of Invitation CRTC 2013-563
»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/ ··· -563.htm

The CRTC

The CRTC is an administrative tribunal that regulates and supervises
broadcasting and telecommunications in Canada.

- 30 -

Follow us on Twitter @crtceng, hashtags #talktv #CRTC

Media Relations:
communications@crtc.gc.ca
Tel: 819-997-9403, Fax: 819-997-4245

General Inquiries:
Tel: 819-997-0313, TDD: 819-994-0423, Fax: 819-994-0218
Toll-free # 1-877-249-CRTC (2782)
TDD - Toll-free # 1-877-909-CRTC (2782)
Ask a question or make a complaint
»www.crtc.gc.ca/RapidsCCM/Registe ··· p?lang=E

These documents are available in alternative format upon request.

----
Unsubscribe from the CRTC News Releases:
»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/unsubscribe.h ··· ribe.htm
Am I going to look forward to the comments.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
My comments: Give me pick and pay and let me choose over sat/cable OR internet.

MJB

join:2012-01-29
teksavvy and iptv/voip ...
any third party isp's

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues
I hate that the CRTC restricts IPTV providers from servicing people on any ISP.

GoRaptors

join:2011-07-22
London, ON
said by Guspaz:

^^ So much this! Give me the choices/options, let *me* pick!!!

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Part of the problem with not tying broadcast rights to the ISP itself is regional licensing enforcement: if OTT IPTV providers cannot or will not enforce regional distribution rights (ex.: I'm a TSI susbcriber in Longueuil, QC but my IP usually geolocates to Chatham or Toronto, ON), they may get forced to purchase more expensive Canada-wide licenses that they might not want and probably cannot afford.

Voice it hmm

@videotron.ca
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

You should voice that then.

Also, the CRTC has some sort of kit, or provides help for a variety of "meetings" if people want to get together to discuss it. Saw the link to this yesterday, but didn't pay attention to it. It includes websites etc.

*If*, for example, DSLr were to put a special section up (maybe here in the Canadian forum along with all the ISPs) to discuss just this, they would be interested in it.

I also believe that this site owner could also claim costs back (if any) from the CRTC (they state so).

So if there are a gang of people here who want to bring all these ideas out, and since politicians, Ministers, CRTC employees, and CCTS employees come here to scope this site out already, I don't see why not.

Maybe get this Forums Mod involved to push this with Justin? Nothing lost. Not even money on Justins side of things since they allow you to file expenses.

In regards to a win scenario for Justin, I also believe the CRTC will spam the site on their webpage and where-ever else. That is a lot of Canadian clicks!

So Maybe the Blue Fuzzy guy and the red-green guy who mod this forum can give some input on this and bring it up with Justin, or point Justin to this post.

Absolutely nothing lost and all to gain.

What do you guys/girls/mods think?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
The region issue is non-existent. The billing address of the credit card suffices, since it is supposed to be up to date and accurate, and the number of people who would try to use that to circumvent the restrictions would be minimal (and unimportant in any event).
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
@Guspaz

What about prepaid Visa gift cards.... There are no names/addresses associated with those

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to InvalidError
Regional restrictions are a relic and should be abolished...

This is especially true for sports, and is annoying as hell for fans who follow a team outside its geographical area... And even for those who live in their team's area, cannot watch their team on LEGITIMATE internet services like NHL Game Center, because the home team is blacked out to protect the god forsaken cable/sat companies business...

No wonder people turn to illegal stream sites.
--

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
said by HiVolt:

And even for those who live in their team's area, cannot watch their team on LEGITIMATE internet services like NHL Game Center, because the home team is blacked out to protect the god forsaken cable/sat companies business...

If the NHL was not selling exclusive local team licenses to the highest bidder, that problem would not exist in the first place. Also, it is not the cablecos/satelliteco buying the licenses, it is the TV networks - it was that way even before cablecos and friends bought most major TV networks out.

A huge chunk of all the content regionalization comes from the content owners. There is nothing even the cablecos can do about it even if they wanted to... unless they want to risk losing licenses in the process of trying to force their providers' hands.

MJB

join:2012-01-29
cancel your television. go the internet route... the more money you can keep out of these telecoms the better... tpia/wholesale dsl.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

@Guspaz

What about prepaid Visa gift cards.... There are no names/addresses associated with those

Prepaid cards don't support AVS (Address Verification System), so you (the merchant, which means in this case the IPTV provider) can simply require the credit card support AVS. This is what Sony does for PSN accounts, for example.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to elwoodblues
I have been looking at a few of the comments (OT but is it just me or have they messed the links to participants comments up?) and largely people are angry which not surprising, however overall most of the comments are utterly unproductive, and a few appear to have been written by badly educated or perhaps stupid people.

Well few love Bell & Rogers, I doubt think the CRTC is going to order them to "die".

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
CRTC may not order them to die, but they have no more god-given right to survive than buggy-whip manufacturers did when cars (cord cutting) became popular.

Unfortunately because the incumbents own pretty much all the pieces of the puzzle, if the CRTC sez "roll your own channel lineup" to consumers, the incumbents will just raise prices for the use of the wire. That's why the incumbents should have been precluded from owning content. Any one with 0.00000001% of a brain can see this, not only now but also back when the incumbents made their plays for content.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to Thane_Bitter
I read some of them, and in general , people are angry,but they don't provide anything except it's too expensive, and I hate "CBC" or I hate 'SUN News" Or I hage (insert media company here),

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to GoRaptors
Is that you Steve?

En Enfer
This account has been compromised

join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
Most of you guys live in big cities and have cable and dont care about these details, but...

What about the lack of over-the-air availability of CBC/SRC ?

For example, Calgary lost its SRC signal, Quebec City and Sherbrooke lost its CBC signal, Kitchener and London-Wingham markets have their own CTV and CTV2 stations but no CBC/SRC signals...

Does local television mean everyone in Ontario should get their news from Toronto ?
--
Tell your children over dinner, "Due to the economy, we are going to have to let one of you go."

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by En Enfer:

Most of you guys live in big cities and have cable and dont care about these details, but...

What about the lack of over-the-air availability of CBC/SRC ?

For example, Calgary lost its SRC signal, Quebec City and Sherbrooke lost its CBC signal, Kitchener and London-Wingham markets have their own CTV and CTV2 stations but no CBC/SRC signals...

Does local television mean everyone in Ontario should get their news from Toronto ?

The unfortunate part of the consolidation that's taken place is that everyone has centralized their operations. To use the London-Wingham example, it's a shell at best, master control is in Toronto, business operations are in Toronto etc etc..

Even CBC has been slowly moving all their operations to Toronto. It just doesn't make sense in this day and age, considering the low cost of telecommunications to maintain a sepearate operation in very town/city you have a presence.

Is it right? No, but that's what you get when you allow large conglomerates to own everything.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to En Enfer
That pisses me off, and despite living in the 10th largest city in Canada you will not find any OTA CBC signals here. The mandate of CBC is to broadcast to the public, forcing would be watchers to pay for cable/sat in order to watch something they paid for is absurd, and violates their charter as a broadcaster.

The private broadcasters upgraded to digital, CBC just pulled the plug on theirs but kept receiving its public funding.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by Thane_Bitter:

That pisses me off, and despite living in the 10th largest city in Canada you will not find any OTA CBC signals here. The mandate of CBC is to broadcast to the public, forcing would be watchers to pay for cable/sat in order to watch something they paid for is absurd, and violates their charter as a broadcaster.

The private broadcasters upgraded to digital, CBC just pulled the plug on theirs but kept receiving its public funding.

I'm not defending their actions,but it's about cost, as their funding keeps getting reduced, something has to give. If you read the resolutions that passed at the CPC convention, it's only going to get worse.

Private broadcasters (which are owned by those same satellite/cable companies) are also turning off their OTA transmitters instead of converting to digital again, due to cost(and it's a bonus for them since you are now forced to pay for some for of delivery service).
--

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
Costs that the CBC refuses to show to the public.
I am sorry but they can't be a publicly funded private broadcaster.

En Enfer
This account has been compromised

join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I'm not defending their actions, but it's about cost, as their funding keeps getting reduced, something has to give. If you read the resolutions that passed at the CPC convention, it's only going to get worse.

In the 70's and 80's, it made sense to plant many OTA transmitters in communities of 3000+ residents. Transmitters in bigger markets had higher power.

Unlike analog, digital transmitters need lower power for the same contour and allow digital sub-channels.
The questionnable part is how the CBC handled the situation as they don't give a damn.

For example, Quebec City have access to CBC since 1957 (from CKMI, then CBVE), they have shut down the analog transmitter, then they reduced both CBC and SRC to 720p with a 15 Mbps bitrate. CBVT-DT have plenty of free bandwidth to add CBMT-DT in standard definition as a sub-channel. Better than nothing.

Repeat for Calgary, adding CBXFT-DT (SRC Edmonton) as a SD subchannel to CBRT-DT (CBC Calgary)...

London still have its CBC tower up and running for CBL-FM. the market size is not negligeable to afford a CBLT-DT repeater with a CBLFT-DT subchannel...

said by elwoodblues:

Private broadcasters (which are owned by those same satellite/cable companies) are also turning off their OTA transmitters instead of converting to digital again, due to cost.

Example please ?

Shaw Media is converting many Global transmitters to digital and stated their commitment in a CRTC decision.
Bell Media satisfied itself with converting stations in mandatory markets, but other stations are still in SD such as Sydney, Red Deer, North Bay, Yorkton, Timmins... but I don't see any shutdown.
--
Tell your children over dinner, "Due to the economy, we are going to have to let one of you go."

MFido

join:2012-10-19
reply to elwoodblues
Some news today:

Wireless spectrum needs to be used, Ottawa warns telecoms

»www.cbc.ca/news/business/wireles ··· .2426612