haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

[Security] Adobe Flash Player Now Sandboxed in Safari on OS X Mavericks

quote:
Adobe Flash Player Now Sandboxed in Safari on OS X Mavericks
Thursday October 24, 2013 6:06 am PDT by Richard Padilla

Software maker Adobe has announced on its blog (via ZDNet) that its Flash Player software is now sandboxed for the version of Safari found in OS X Mavericks, preventing malware targeting Flash from accessing sensitive data and system resources beyond Apple's browser. As described by Apple, sandboxing "provides a last line of defense against the theft, corruption, or deletion of user data" if a malicious attempt is made at exploiting an app.

"For the technically minded, this means that there is a specific com.macromedia.Flash Player.plugin.sb file defining the security permissions for Flash Player when it runs within the sandboxed plugin process. As you might expect, Flash Player’s capabilities to read and write files will be limited to only those locations it needs to function properly. The sandbox also limits Flash Player’s local connections to device resources and inter-process communication (IPC) channels. Finally, the sandbox limits Flash Player’s networking privileges to prevent unnecessary connection capabilities. "

»www.macrumors.com/2013/1 ··· vericks/

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk

Premium Member

Hmmm, safe to install then? I've been doing the "Switch to Chrome" if I really have to view something in Flash.

Sebehk
USN Retired, 1993-2013, yvan eht nioj
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO

Sebehk

Premium Member

said by bobrk:

Hmmm, safe to install then? I've been doing the "Switch to Chrome" if I really have to view something in Flash.

I use the Safari Extension ClickToFlash if I need to view Flash, which most of the time I don't. It is good to know that Flash is Sandboxed and look forward when I get my new Mac Pro in December (hopefully).

--->Robert
8-)