onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

MacBook Pro wifi speeds

What is the max that it can do? I tried looking for something that showed this info in the system report but didn't notice anything.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

What model do you have?

If you hold option while clicking on the WiFi icon in the menu bar, it'll list the transmit rate currently in use.

I get ~20MB/sec on my 802.11n network at 450Mbps transmit rate.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

I have a 15" mid 2012
Well I want to get a new router and I was trying to determine the max transfer rate that the mac can do.
I'm at 54Mbps right now.

But I think I found my answer.
It's able to do 802.11n. And if I understand correctly, that allows for speeds from 54Mbps to 600Mbps.

So if I am right...and I don't know if I am...I can look for routers that are able to reach those numbers.
...is that right?
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune

The top speed for N is dependent on how many antennas the device and router have. MBPs have 3 if I remember correctly which would equal 450mbps.

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA

rjackson to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
802.11n at 5GHz will offer the fastest speeds vs. 2.4GHz, but the range is slightly less.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to kitsune

Premium Member

to kitsune
said by kitsune:

The top speed for N is dependent on how many antennas the device and router have. MBPs have 3 if I remember correctly which would equal 450mbps.

Ah see that's what I was looking for. Where did ya find that info at?

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2

Premium Member

My late-2012 13" MPB connects at 450 to my router.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Mine is connecting at that speed now. My router was ancient. Got a new one. All is well.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

said by kitsune:

Ah see that's what I was looking for. Where did ya find that info at?

If you mean how many antennas the MBP has, I can't recall offhand. But if you go through the tear downs at ifixit it should describe the number of antennas.

If you mean how that affects your connection you can check out »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11n and it should all be in there.