uniqs
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

Little off topic but im going to ask to let it in.

Does anyone know if the weather channel sensors at the headend detect when it starts raining?

I know its really not cable related but i ask to let it stand since its going to take a cable guy to answer my question i believe.

The deal is i was a witness to accident and the guy is claiming it was raining when it wasnt. He is suing the state for hydro planing on the road. It wasnt even raining all tho it started raining after calling 911 and before the police got there. I have to go in for a deposition as my son told them i watched the guy drive off the road. He filed the lawsuit not knowing any witnesses were present as the police never asked. The headend is only about two miles from the accident scene. The law suit is pretty far along and they are not going to be happy about what im going to say. They found out that i was a witness when the lawyers were out taking pictures. Im pretty sure the guy was texting and just drove off the road. The texting part is a assumption tho. Im 100 percent sure it was some form of distracted driving tho as it was a straight away and the guy went off into the ditch and is now suing the state for his own mistake.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

This may be dumb but how can you sue the state for hydro planning? Rain is caused by nature and car tires are float on water at hi speeds.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

I thought the same thing. But he is suing the state for it and has a lawyer.
krommulent
join:2010-04-07

krommulent to rody_44

to rody_44
perhaps you could claim poor drainage design or maintenance but that sounds like a frivolous suit in my eyes. i hope if he is found to be wasting the states time they waste some of his.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
Where do the Weather Channel's "Intellistar" cable head-end units get their local forecast info from these days??

From the Local NWS office, an on-site sensor-pack, or still directly out of Atlanta, GA, no matter where you live??

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
Most Weather Channel data comes from National Weather Station sites at local airports. They also have a proprietary weather forcasting network:
»feedback.weather.com/kno ··· me-from-

I've never known a local headend to have a weather station for the Weather Channel forecasts.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to krommulent

Premium Member

to krommulent
Thats exactly what he is claiming
rody_44

1 edit

rody_44 to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
I thought they had equipment at the Sellersville office of comcast. Guess i was wrong. It would have been nice to be able to prove it wasnt raining but i guess i will just say it like it was. There was another witness that was coming the other way but nobody got his name either.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Rody-
They could most likely have the Intellicast server box at your local headend, if that's where your Local Forecast is listed as. Mine has to be somewhere around me, since it's local to Wilmington.

Only reason is b/c when I rec'd a tour of the FIOS TV facility years ago up in Philly - they had 1 of the servers right there in the racks, and that's why the entire PA/DE/NJ area on FIOS only sees "Philly" as their local forecasts, with a few variations now and then.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
You might try a local weather station.

Look here:
»www.wunderground.com/cgi ··· wn,%20PA

Scroll down to the weather station bar near bottom of the page, and click on the triangle on the right end of the bar. Maybe one of the stations near the accident area has some useful info...
joejoejeo
join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo to rody_44

to rody_44
just an FYI Comcast owns part of the weather channel because NBC bought part of the weather channel before Comcast bought them. it was after NBC bought part of the weather channel that NBC weather+ was eliminated
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
Yea its listed on the weather channel as sellersville so im thinking sellersville does have a local sensor at the comcast headend. The accident was actually about 3 miles from the Service Electric headend. Which happens to be about a half mile from the lehigh valley airport. Its a pain in the ass to deal with lawyers. Guess im trying to just make sure my ducks are in a row when i get there. I shouldnt really care either way but it kind of pisses me off that someone is trying to get my tax dollars when they clearly made a mistake. I guess i will just go in and say the way it was. there was also a school bus first in line so maybe they had a camera proving it wasnt raining. Im kind of thinking they wouldnt store info that long tho. I will make sure some where along the line to let them know someone somewhere just might have proof that it wasnt raining. Im not a lawyer but it seems to me this case borders on fraud.
rody_44

rody_44 to camper

Premium Member

to camper
That link has one in allentown. Since im sure there is one at the airport i will just throw that in on my deposition. Just to let the guy know that someone somewhere might be able tp prove it wasnt raining.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to rody_44

to rody_44
May want to look at WeatherSpark, lots of features.

»weatherspark.com/

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to rody_44

to rody_44
how do they get their readings from areas without airports or airports without control towers?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
Doesn't matter much anyway... it can rain in one spot and not be raining 1/2 mile away.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

That link has one in allentown. Since im sure there is one at the airport i will just throw that in on my deposition. Just to let the guy know that someone somewhere might be able tp prove it wasnt raining.

You can also look in the radar archive on the site.

Enter the proper date and zipcode (or city) here:
»www.wunderground.com/history/

and click submit. Then you'll see on the right side a link for the radar archive. Click on "View Animated Radar Loop" and you'll see the radar loop for the day for the region. If the rain is widespread, that can be heelpful. If the rain is spotty, less so.

HTH
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

It only rained a total of about half hour.

DocsisCat
Premium Member
join:2013-10-10
Princeton, TX

DocsisCat to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
Wait !! ... back up .. the truck!!! Are you honestly saying this moron who drove off the road ... is suing the State ... because he drove off the road?? ...huh?? How do te 2 events even begin to relate??
RalphKramden
join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

RalphKramden to rody_44

to rody_44
Your recollection is that you saw the guy drive off the road and it wasn't raining. I doubt there are sensors that can tell when it started raining at that exact location, but what does it matter? Just tell what you saw.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to DocsisCat

Premium Member

to DocsisCat
No he is suing the state saying that the rain caused him to go off the road because he hydro planed. The problem is it wasnt raining until after the moron drove off the road.
System

to rody_44

Anon

to rody_44
This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course