spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nickj360

join:2013-10-20

[Networking] MOCA Bridge issues with my Fios service.

Hello. Curious if anyone else has experienced this an possibly found/figured out a fix. Found this site through google along with the guide to set up a MOCA bridge using two actiontech routers (mI424WR Rev.I used as primary, and a MI424WR Rev.F as Bridge. Both Provided by Frontier.)

Now the guide worked. I get internet access to the room through coax like I wanted. With the only issue being that periodically my connection drops. Generally its restored by unplugging the ac adapter waiting a few seconds then plugging back in. On some real rare occasions even that doesn't work.

Couple examples. Last night i was trying to download the latest nvidia drivers for my GPU. The connection started strong. Got full speeds. Then when I had reached the 40% mark connection completely dropped an stopped downloading. Tried restarting DL multiple times, always starting strong but ending up with connection dropping. If I try to download games on Steam the same thing occurs.

I'm a novice to networking, and have absolutely no clue what could be causing the issue. Any help or insight would be very much appreciated.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

[Networking] Re: MOCA Bridge issues with my Fios service.

Have you checked your MOCA stats?
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How to check MOCA stats?
Please do so while the problem is occurring.

The symptoms you describe could be occurring either over the coax or over the internet, so we need to make sure it's not the internet. Do you also have a PC connected to the rev. I? Have you tried downloading the same file to that PC?
Have you tried copying a large file (the download) from a PC connected to the rev. I to a PC connected to the rev. F?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

nickj360

router | ONT
Router N/A 240.70
ONT 241.42 N/A

Thats what shows under the WAN coax connection Status.
I have successfully downloaded the files i mentioned in original post from a PC connected directly to the rev.I I've been having to download it to said PC then transfer to USB flashdrive then upload to my PC (thats connected to the bridged Rev.F) I havent tried transfering a file between the 2 PCs over the network I'll have to try that

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm looking for your MOCA LAN stats, not your MOCA WAN stats. See the second set of instructions in the FAQ.

If possible, try and collect the MOCA LAN stats while the problem is occurring.

BTW, those numbers look good for your MOCA WAN stats.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

nickj360

2 edits

Okay here we go. Got a screen shot from the main router for you (Rev.I)

An this second screen is from the Bridge. (rev.F)

nickj360

reply to More Fiber

»i.imgur.com/RtB814o.jpg (rev.I - main)

»i.imgur.com/rNnXwZB.jpg (rev.F - Bridge)

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

The first pic (rev. I) is useless. You blocked out not only the IP addresses, but the MOCA rates on the router line of the table.
--

nickj360

K. Here is another pic of Rev.I
»i.imgur.com/eJu7hEj.jpg

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2

The device with the 192.168.1.103 IP is an issue, you should be above 200mbs ... try different splitters ( less taps ) or short coax if possible

nickj360

Splitter within the house? Cause there are splitters, outside the house in the box as well. Not to mention those I'd assume are inside the wall.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

Could be a bad splitter, or a bad piece of coax.
You need to get that squared away before attempting further diagnostics.
--

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to nickj360

Your issue is you have a long run OR a run that is going thru to many splitters which reduce the signal to marginal quality. I would suggest you map out your coax along with what ever your current splitters are. For example the troublesome run might be the longest and by changing the taps or splinters to reduce the losses could solve the problem.

nickj360

Turns out i was indeed my splitter. I had purchased a 2 way splitter rated at 5-2500 MHz for use in my bedroom (Where the bridge router is located.) I found and older splitter in a drawer, rated 5 - 1000MHz so swapped that out with the previous splitter and that brought the signals up over 220+. So it would appear the signal loss is remedied. Hopefully that solves my issue. the Router hasnt needed to power cycle again yet. So I'm crossing my fingers that the issue is resolved. I'll be back if not Thanks everyone.

nickj360

reply to nickj360

So... Update. bridge just dced, and required a Reboot in order to get internet connection back. So back to square one i guess... sigh.

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL

check your stats ... unscrew and reseatt all the coax connections in the home. Its common over time the connections can oxidize, reseating them wipes the contact clean.

nickj360

Stats still appear over 200 like they should be. This connection is also in my garage. It's literally coming straight from the box outside. (Which ofcourse have splitters within the box.) There are no connections inbetween.

"You may or may not want to disable the wireless section in the remote router. If you leave it enabled, you should set the SSID to the same as your primary router, and set it to use a different channel. This can extend the wireless range of your primary router."

This line in the guide confuses me. How does just changing the SSID name extend the wireless range of my primary router? They both still appear seperate when searching for Wifi Access points on devices.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

1 edit

said by nickj360:

How does just changing the SSID name extend the wireless range of my primary router?

Using the same SSID doesn't physically extend the range of either router. What is does is to allow a mobile device to seemlessly move between the two networks.

Using different channels/bands also ensures the two routers don't interfere with other.
--

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

Is there a way to tell which router it's connected to if the SSIDs are the same