how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AzDragonLord

join:2003-10-21
Florence, AZ

2012 Mitsubishi DLP Television - Error 61

My WD-73C12 television is just past it's warranty period (figures) and had a failure last night. The self-diagnostic error code was "61"...meaning "LAMP-EN Detection" and the most likely cause is "Check Color Wheel / Check J6 & J7 circuitry /
Engine Failure".

I unplugged the TV for about a minute and the picture returned, but the video quality isn't as it was. The colors are off when I first start it, but they improve after a few minutes. The picture looks washed-out though, almost like I'm watching it thru a haze.

Any thoughts or recommendations??
--
Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely.

BoulderHill1

join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL

Sounds to me like a lamp and/or color wheel issue.

These are the main two issues with DLP TV's. These items are to be considered regular maintenance for a DLP set.

AzDragonLord

Florence, AZ

Yep...I've owned several DLP sets over the years and understand them well, but this one isn't even paid off yet.
--

H2OuUp2
Happy to be here
Premium
join:2002-03-15
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to AzDragonLord

I would call Mitsubishi. I had one that was WAY out of warranty. Since it was a known issue, they paid to have it fixed. When the tech couldn't fix it they gave me a $900 credit towards a new TV.

Next time I got a white dot in my picture. Again out of warranty. Since it was a known issue, the shipped the part to me free, and paid 1/2 the labor.

If you call and talk to at least a level 2 tech, you very well might get it fixed for free or at lest at a discount.

I would try. So far for me their customer service has been excellent.
--
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

H2OuUp2
Happy to be here
Premium
join:2002-03-15
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to AzDragonLord

Here is my original post on AVS forms:

I had a WD 55589 had the dreaded blinking green light. I tried fixing it by replacing seven capacitors, but it didn't work for me. I then called an authorized Mitsubishi repair service who came out opened the set and asked if someone had tried to repair the TV. I told him yes, and he said I could have saved $74. He said what I had done was correct, but the DM board was out, and Mitsubishi no longer made it. He then told me to call Mitsubishi customer service which I did. I told them I tried to have the TV repaired, but it could not be repaired due to them no longer manufacturing the part.

What I did not know was the US law requires a company to keep repair parts for seven years. The TV lacked only a few weeks from being seven years old, but.It was still less than seven.

Long Story short I called Mitsubishi and they gave me an in store credit for $925 for a like TV. The 60737 was the closest model so I went back to my original place of purchase and I got the Mitsubishi WD-60737 65-Inch 1080p 120Hz Home Theater DLP HDTV on sale at Ultimate Electronics for $1,083.74 (including tax). With my $925 credit I ended up paying $158.74 for a new 60 1080P TV that replaced a 55 1080i 7 year old TV.

First let me say I cannot express how good Mitsubishi was to me. Sure I bought the extended warranty, but if was five years and I was two years outside of the warranty. They could have slowed played me and did nothing, but they went the extra mile in my eyes.

This in its self bumps Mitsubishi up to five stars in customer service! The only drawback was I had to take my old TV to the store to receive my $925 credit. Getting a 300+ pound TV to the store in the rain was no easy task, but alas I did it.

I would also like to mention that I also got a $225 dollar credit for a stand for the TV providing the stand was $399 or higher in price, but that's another story.

So in closing even if this new DLP doesn't last but two or three years, I still can't say Mitsubishi was bad to me. In fact I was shocked that I was given so much towards a new TV.

This is only one man's experience your mileage may vary.

Be NICE! If you yell you won't get much. Be firm, but polite, and ask for help, be humble and it will go far. It has for me twice.
--
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

i dont subscribe to that forum any longer.
too many trolls screaming and yelling when you try to help them.

AzDragonLord

Florence, AZ
reply to AzDragonLord

After thinking about what the TV is doing and what I can address without buying parts, I visited the service manual and decided to try adjusting the Index Delay. The picture is much better now! I'm not sure why the index had changed on its own though....color wheel slippage maybe??
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

colorwheel about to fail or DM PCB corruption.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to H2OuUp2

Click for full size
obvious intentional damage
here is my primary reason why i no longer subscribe to that forum.
too many individuals screaming that their plasma display panel "cracked" on its own, by itself, when this sample picture would indicate otherwise.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

AzDragonLord

Florence, AZ

That is definitely not spontaneous breakage.
--

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by AzDragonLord:

That is definitely not spontaneous breakage.

Indeed. That looks more like spontaneous Wii controller impact.

AzDragonLord

Florence, AZ
reply to AzDragonLord

My televisions did it again last night. First sound went out, then the picture began freezing, then it went dark with the same error code "61". Being late, I decided to unplug the TV and let it reset itself while I went to bed. The next morning I plugged the TV back in and the light began flashing green immediately. After a while it stopped flashing and allowed me to turn it on. I may still call tech support, but I'm not hopeful since the TV is out of warranty.

I suppose this 14-month-old TV is almost dead now.
--

HarryH3
Premium
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by AzDragonLord:

Did you read the posts above from H2OuUp2 ? It sounds like Mitsu is well aware of the problem and if you ask nicely they might fix it anyway. Make the call.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to AzDragonLord

said by AzDragonLord:

My televisions did it again last night. First sound went out, then the picture began freezing, then it went dark with the same error code "61". Being late, I decided to unplug the TV and let it reset itself while I went to bed. The next morning I plugged the TV back in and the light began flashing green immediately. After a while it stopped flashing and allowed me to turn it on. I may still call tech support, but I'm not hopeful since the TV is out of warranty.

sounds more like the "DM" (digital module) now since you said the sound goes away, then the picture freezes and then went dark.
did the picture freeze immediately following the loss of sound ?
did the set go dark immediately following the freezing of the picture ?
--

AzDragonLord

Florence, AZ

Several minutes went by without sound while I tried figuring out if the problem was my HTPC or the surround receiver. The picture went dark almost immediately after the image froze.
--

AzDragonLord

Florence, AZ
reply to HarryH3

I will call them later this week. Certainly can't hurt anything.
--

AzDragonLord

Florence, AZ
reply to AzDragonLord

Talked to a rep today. They want me to perform a "hard reset" if it happens again to see if it helps. If it doesn't help then we can discuss other options I guess.

TV Reset IMPORTANT: Use this reset only if other troubleshooting has been unsuccessful

To reset all consumer-accessible settings and all memories to the original factory defaults. Use TV Reset if the TV can respond to controls but TV behavior is abnormal. CAUTION: All owner-performed setups and adjustments will be erased.

1.While viewing the TV, press MENU to display the TV main menu.
2.With the main menu displayed, press number keys 1 2 3 to display the Reset menu.
3.READ THE ON-SCREEN WARNING AND INSTRUCTIONS.
If you do not wish to use this reset, press BACK or MENU to back out.
If you do wish to use the reset, press ENTER to erase all memories and settings.
The TV will start the initialization process and then turn off. Power on the TV and the front green LED will start flashing. All memory and settings will need to be set again.
--

AzDragonLord

Florence, AZ
reply to AzDragonLord

Now the TV won't come on at all, just goes to "error 61". Can't perform a "hard reset" without a picture either. I will call them again in the hopes I can still get it repaired.

Anyone know a good source for parts?
--

AzDragonLord

Florence, AZ
reply to AzDragonLord

Just talked to support. They said even though the TV is 3 months past its warranty, they apologize and will cover all repairs for it. They're suppose to be contacting a local service center right now.....WOOHOO!
--

HarryH3
Premium
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

See! Sometimes it's a good idea to ask politely (and occasionally call back on different days until you get a rep that feels more helpful).

Kudos to Mitsu for stepping up to the plate!

AzDragonLord

Florence, AZ
reply to AzDragonLord

said by AzDragonLord:

Just talked to support. They said even though the TV is 3 months past its warranty, they apologize and will cover all repairs for it. They're suppose to be contacting a local service center right now.....WOOHOO!

After two months of waiting, a technician arrived with a new DM board....too bad it didn't solve the problem! Seems the first tech misdiagnosed the issue and they ordered the wrong part. They are going to order a color wheel / engine and we'll try this again. Hopefully it's quicker than 2 months this time. If they ever get my TV fixed it'll have all new innards!
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

it shouldnt have taken two months.
since the DM board has been ruled out, that leaves the colorwheel which is not available as a separate part from mits (but available through other non authorized retailers), the engine must be replaced (when repairing under a concession warranty).
its difficult to distinguish by the issue, whether it would have been the DM or engine, generally the DM board is tried first.
--

AzDragonLord

Florence, AZ
reply to AzDragonLord

The Light Engine was replaced today, TV powered-up.....YEA!

Now there is another problem, the image colors are way off! I adjusted the Index Delay (and a few other things) and that has helped some, but I have to turn the color control all the way down to watch it without hurting myself. Think old-school B&W television.

It's one of two boards, the tech will order both and swap them out together. I think the board that was swapped last month was faulty, but without being able to turn it on we couldn't tell. One of these months I'll have the TV back that I paid for....color and all.
--

AzDragonLord

Florence, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to AzDragonLord

Just to finish the saga...
The TV repair shop decided not to order more boards, but they did take the TV to their shop to re-calibrate everything that was lost after swapping the DM board. I'm glad I had something else to watch in the meantime! Several weeks pass, and I finally get the TV returned to me after I kept bugging them. The picture looks fantastic and the repairs didn't cost me anything ...thank you Mitsubishi. After more than 4 months this ordeal is history. Most of the parts have been replaced and I have a spare bulb waiting as well... so I should be good for a while.
--

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to AzDragonLord

I have had 2 DLP's: Mits 62525, and Mits 73640
The 62 series suffered from Dry Cap syndrome, and lasted nearly 10 years, with a warranty cap re-build after 4 years...
The 73640 Pix improved with V13.06 firmware.
I know of 3 people who contacted Mits out of warranty, and Mits went to bat for their customers, either with extended warranty, or partial re-imbursement or credit toward replacement.

I'd suggest contacting Mits and clearly and politely state your case. You may be pleasantly surprised.
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to AzDragonLord

Wow, I didn't know they still made DLP TV sets as recently as 2012! They sure kept that technology going for quite a while despite the ever improving plasma and LCD technologies.

I guess it's the lower cost that kept them going, but these days, but I think we've reached the tipping point where LCD and plasma have become equally if not more affordable than DLP.

AzDragonLord

Florence, AZ

1 recommendation

Yeah, 2012 was the last year they were manufactured. The other types may be more affordable, but I still feel DLP has superior picture quality over them.

Their Achilles-heel for home sets (other than not being completely flat) has been the mechanical color wheel and bulb life, but they still use them in movie theaters.
--

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by AzDragonLord:

but they still use them in movie theaters.

Yeah I don't think DLP is going away anytime soon when it comes to projectors.

If I'm not mistaking, most if not all DLP projectors used in movie theaters use a 3-chip arrangement with no color wheel, greatly increasing reliability and eliminating the undesirable "rainbow effect" of single-chip DLP.

Single-chip DLP is more popular in lower cost projectors due to, of course, its lower cost. 3-chip is significantly better but much more expensive and requires complex optics to converge the 3 colors properly.

But for rear-projection TV sets, it's pretty much over.

On a side note, do more recent rear-projection TV sets such as yours still suffer from very limited viewing angle? That has always been the main drawback in the past, that the image brightness and contrast greatly diminishes when viewing from an off angle.

AzDragonLord

Florence, AZ

I've never noticed diminished viewing from an angle.
--

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Neither have I
In fact, it's LCD and the like sets that goes magenta in off angle viewing...

said by AzDragonLord:

I've never noticed diminished viewing from an angle.

--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle