spc
Search similar:

uniqs

RSWCMH
@rr.com

RSWCMH

Anon

[Embarq] Setting up wireless with ADSL router

My relatives have a Router Model EQ-660R ADSL and no wireless on their PC. I will be visiting them over the holidays with my Mac laptop and want to be able to use their internet connection. So i need to purchase a wireless setup for them.

I currently own a Netgear wireless router »support.netgear.com/prod ··· NR834Bv2

Will this suffice? Or can i purchase any other wireless router and if so what do I need to look for?

I probably won't be able to contact tech support due to the holiday so i want to make this as painless as possible as my relatives know absolutely nothing about their setup.

Assuming that this or another wireless router is ok to use, do I just use the Windows wireless setup to make this work? Pardon my ignorance, I only use/own Macs and am not familiar with setting up wireless networks on a PC. They have Windows XP

I did do a search on here and saw something about bridging on another post but became further confused. LIke I said, I am a Mac only guy and my laptops have/find wireless hotspots easily and don't know what is required for setting up in a Windows environment

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

How often do/will you visit them? If you only need wireless for the time you are there, take your router with you and connect it to their modem. Remove it when you leave and reconnect their PC to the modem.

If you want to do a more permanent solution, any wireless router will work. If they don't do any gaming or torrents, you can just connect it to the modem and it will work. You will need to login to the router to set the SSID, security, and channel. If they have issues with the modem needing rebooted with heavy activity, then you should put it in bridge mode. You will need to find out if they are in a PPPoE or DHCP area, to accomplish this.

rswcmh
@rr.com

rswcmh

Anon

How do you login to the router? 192.168.1.1?

No heavy activity. They just use it for internet access and emails.

How would I know about ppp or dhcp? Bridge mode? I also know very little about router settings. I set up the basics for this netgear and have never had to change anything. Mine is connected to a Time Warner cable modem and they are on embarq/centurylink dsl

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

You log into the router through a web browser using it's IP address. You will need to configure the SSID, security, and channel for the wireless.

Any wireless router will work with their modem. Unless they want wireless, or you will be visiting on a regular basis, just take your wireless router and connect it while you are there.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to RSWCMH

to RSWCMH
Hey there, looking at the specs of your modem, that's not one we support for but it will work. It will either be a 192.168.0.x or a 192.168.1.x so you'll need to set it up to use a subnet address other than what the modem is already using. You can always call our technical support team at 1-800-247-7285 for further clarification and specifics before you get to your relatives. Hope that helps! Have a great day.
Thanks-AshleyKay

RSWCMH
@rr.com

RSWCMH

Anon

Hello. I ended up purchasing another router. It is an ASUS Model RT-N12 »www.asus.com/Networking/ ··· TN12_D1/

Will that one be ok for this setup? I can call your tech support team after hearing further from you
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink

That one "should" work. I checked out the specs you provided, and I don't see why it shouldn't work out. We just have no documentation one way or the other regarding it.

Best of luck to you!
-Doug