Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

Mavericks Mail.app and GMail - still flaky

I got fed up with Mail.app constantly having problems with GMail's 2-step authentication in Mountain Lion, and switched to GMail's web interface.

Doesn't look like I'll be switching back anytime soon...

»tidbits.com/article/14219
"But this is the behavior that makes me truly crazy — if I have to keep Gmail open in a Web browser to make sure I’m getting all my messages, I might as well not be running Mail at all."
What a flippin' mess.

rjackson
Premium,VIP,MVM,Ex-Mod 2005-13
join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
kudos:1
You should be able to generate an application specific password in your Google account to use with Mail.app. »support.google.com/accounts/answ···33?hl=en

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
reply to rjackal
said by rjackson:

You should be able to generate an application specific password in your Google account to use with Mail.app.

this.
i've been using mail.app with gmail ever since sparrow stopped being supported using this method. works very well.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

rjackson
Premium,VIP,MVM,Ex-Mod 2005-13
join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
reply to rjackal
I read that article and I don't see those problems with Gmail. I have two Google Apps accounts set up in Mail.app and I don't have the All Mail label exposed to IMAP. Everything works as expected.

rjackal
Premium
Plymouth, MI
reply to rjackson
said by rjackson:

You should be able to generate an application specific password in your Google account to use with Mail.app.

Oh, I have, many times. Mail would forget it, sometimes after months, sometimes it would never take. I gave up. I'm using Mail on iOS more and more for email triage, anyway, which never had a problem with app-specific passwords.

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
said by rjackal:

said by rjackson:

Oh, I have, many times. Mail would forget it, sometimes after months, sometimes it would never take. I gave up. I'm using Mail on iOS more and more for email triage, anyway, which never had a problem with app-specific passwords.

If you were getting a password prompt that doesn't necessarily mean it forgot your password. Unfortunately, some errors returned by the server erroneously cause that prompt. If you open up the details in connection doctor and leave it up when you get the prompt you should see the exact error message from the server. Generally it's because google has locked the account. It will have a web address in the error you can visit that will let you Display the Unlock Captcha. Lots of different things will cause the lock and many times will usually expire automatically.

rjackal
Premium
Plymouth, MI
said by kitsune:

If you were getting a password prompt that doesn't necessarily mean it forgot your password. Unfortunately, some errors returned by the server erroneously cause that prompt. If you open up the details in connection doctor and leave it up when you get the prompt you should see the exact error message from the server. Generally it's because google has locked the account. It will have a web address in the error you can visit that will let you Display the Unlock Captcha. Lots of different things will cause the lock and many times will usually expire automatically.

Yes. "Erroneous server errors" are exactly the type of BS I don't want to deal with when doing email. I'm not saying it's entirely Apple's fault - I know Google does some funky stuff with IMAP - but it's why I rely on the web interface now.