how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gooner

join:2013-07-05
St Catharines, ON

[INTERNET] New Modem in the mail?

A few months ago I upgraded to Turbo 20 (from 14), which meant I had to go to the Cogeco store to pick up a new modem (Cisco DPC3000).
About a month later I called and upgraded to Ultimate 30.

Yesterday I received a notice in the mail from Canada Post saying there was something to pick up at the post office. Went today and it turns out it was a new Cogeco modem (Cisco DPC3008).

Any reason for the new modem when the old one worked fine, and what is the difference between the 3000 and 3008?

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
3008 supports eight forward channels, the 3000 only four. I'd keep the 3008 and return the 3000.

Freemodem

@start.ca
reply to gooner
said by gooner:

A few months ago I upgraded to Turbo 20 (from 14), which meant I had to go to the Cogeco store to pick up a new modem (Cisco DPC3000).
About a month later I called and upgraded to Ultimate 30.

Yesterday I received a notice in the mail from Canada Post saying there was something to pick up at the post office. Went today and it turns out it was a new Cogeco modem (Cisco DPC3008).

Any reason for the new modem when the old one worked fine, and what is the difference between the 3000 and 3008?

Ask cogeco why they sent it. One modem can have 1billion upstream channels more, it won't matter if the firmware version isn't compatible on the cogeco network or they were having problems with a specific hardware version.

See why they sent it, there has to be a reason.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium,VIP
join:2011-07-11
kudos:6
reply to gooner
said by gooner:

It could have just been a mistake. Maybe the representative missed that you had a compatible modem.

gooner

join:2013-07-05
St Catharines, ON
reply to gooner
Thanks everyone.

@Gone: Does the 8 vs 4 channels make a difference with speed? The new modem seems far more consistent with speeds at any hour, whereas the previous one felt like it would slow down at 'peak times'.

@Freemodem: I had to phone when I set it up (wasn't working at first), and when I asked the rep they just said something about increased speeds in my area. Not sure what they meant since I was on the same plan. Maybe it showed my old modem in the account.

@Cogeco_Aaron: Perhaps it's just coincidence, but the new modem does seem better. I guess I'll chalk it up as a "good mistake"

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by gooner:

@Gone: Does the 8 vs 4 channels make a difference with speed? The new modem seems far more consistent with speeds at any hour, whereas the previous one felt like it would slow down at 'peak times'.

It's possible that Cogeco could have 100Mbit+ tiers in the future that require the right channel modems, but as it stands right now you won't notice an increase in performance per se. Keep in mind that for the same reason you saw better levelled out peak time performance with the 3000, that capability would be increased even further with the 3008 as you'd have eight channels to spread the load over instead of four. Having said that, I doubt it would make that much of a difference, at least right now anyway.