Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues

Re: CRTC -Lets talk

I hate that the CRTC restricts IPTV providers from servicing people on any ISP.
GoRaptors
join:2011-07-22
London, ON

GoRaptors

said by Guspaz:

^^ So much this! Give me the choices/options, let *me* pick!!!
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Part of the problem with not tying broadcast rights to the ISP itself is regional licensing enforcement: if OTT IPTV providers cannot or will not enforce regional distribution rights (ex.: I'm a TSI susbcriber in Longueuil, QC but my IP usually geolocates to Chatham or Toronto, ON), they may get forced to purchase more expensive Canada-wide licenses that they might not want and probably cannot afford.

Voice it hmm
@videotron.ca

Voice it hmm to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

You should voice that then.

Also, the CRTC has some sort of kit, or provides help for a variety of "meetings" if people want to get together to discuss it. Saw the link to this yesterday, but didn't pay attention to it. It includes websites etc.

*If*, for example, DSLr were to put a special section up (maybe here in the Canadian forum along with all the ISPs) to discuss just this, they would be interested in it.

I also believe that this site owner could also claim costs back (if any) from the CRTC (they state so).

So if there are a gang of people here who want to bring all these ideas out, and since politicians, Ministers, CRTC employees, and CCTS employees come here to scope this site out already, I don't see why not.

Maybe get this Forums Mod involved to push this with Justin? Nothing lost. Not even money on Justins side of things since they allow you to file expenses.

In regards to a win scenario for Justin, I also believe the CRTC will spam the site on their webpage and where-ever else. That is a lot of Canadian clicks!

So Maybe the Blue Fuzzy guy and the red-green guy who mod this forum can give some input on this and bring it up with Justin, or point Justin to this post.

Absolutely nothing lost and all to gain.

What do you guys/girls/mods think?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError
Regional restrictions are a relic and should be abolished...

This is especially true for sports, and is annoying as hell for fans who follow a team outside its geographical area... And even for those who live in their team's area, cannot watch their team on LEGITIMATE internet services like NHL Game Center, because the home team is blacked out to protect the god forsaken cable/sat companies business...

No wonder people turn to illegal stream sites.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by HiVolt:

And even for those who live in their team's area, cannot watch their team on LEGITIMATE internet services like NHL Game Center, because the home team is blacked out to protect the god forsaken cable/sat companies business...

If the NHL was not selling exclusive local team licenses to the highest bidder, that problem would not exist in the first place. Also, it is not the cablecos/satelliteco buying the licenses, it is the TV networks - it was that way even before cablecos and friends bought most major TV networks out.

A huge chunk of all the content regionalization comes from the content owners. There is nothing even the cablecos can do about it even if they wanted to... unless they want to risk losing licenses in the process of trying to force their providers' hands.

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33

cancel your television. go the internet route... the more money you can keep out of these telecoms the better... tpia/wholesale dsl.

ChuckcZar
@teksavvy.com

ChuckcZar to GoRaptors

Anon

to GoRaptors
Is that you Steve?