spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gmurph1818

join:2013-06-14

anyone having any luck getting firmware updated on owned modem?

Have been trying the last few days to get my sb6141 firmware upgraded. I have been stuck at SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.3-SCM03-NOSH all year. They keep telling me they dont support customer owned modems anymore. Ive talked to supervisors and everything. They have also been telling me to call motorola. Will that do anything?

Meathax
Looking for better Pings

join:2010-10-24
Cherry Valley, MA

Just curious, what version should it be?

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to Gmurph1818

They DO NOT support customer owned modems anymore and Motorola will not be able to help you either.

In fact, you DO NOT want Motorola to update it as the firmware will not be customized for Charters network.

Thank the CEO for screwing that stuff all up!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by cork1958:

They DO NOT support customer owned modems anymore and Motorola will not be able to help you either.

In fact, you DO NOT want Motorola to update it as the firmware will not be customized for Charters network.

Thank the CEO for screwing that stuff all up!!

The CEO screwed things up by not having to make sure firmware on dozens of different modems are updated? Yeah fewer modems to maintain is clearly a stupid idea. You do realize when you could own your own modem you could upgrade it them either. Charter still did that.

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
reply to Gmurph1818

You very well could have the latest version approved for use on Charter's network. If you're not experiencing service issues, don't worry about it.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

1 edit
reply to cork1958

Edited again:
Screw it. Not going there!

--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

fredbisard

@charter.com
reply to 88615298

i have to agree with cork, the ceo of charter is a fruitcake

can you tell me one other cable isp that doesn't allow customer owned modems on their network, please

what does this mean,
"You do realize when you could own your own modem you could upgrade it them either. Charter still did that"

makes no sense to me. i do own my own modem and i sued to be able to upgrade them, but can't anymore, and again, that is something only charter does.

Double OH 7

join:2009-10-19

said by fredbisard :

can you tell me one other cable isp that doesn't allow customer owned modems on their network, please

what does this mean,
"You do realize when you could own your own modem you could upgrade it them either. Charter still did that"

makes no sense to me. i do own my own modem and i sued to be able to upgrade them, but can't anymore, and again, that is something only charter does.

I think what he meant was when you could own your modem, charter wouldn't upgrade?

Which isn't true... Well, maybe after they closed direct down. Before that I was able to get them to push new firmware a couple of times.

Pesimist

join:2007-07-09
Valley, AL
reply to Meathax

Not sure about 8-channel bonding but, four channel firmware is probably still;
SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH, dated 17 April 2012

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

3 edits
reply to passerby

Its not the latest. That is the stock firmware from Motorola. Mine came with the same version and was updated to 1.0.6.6 As for using your own modem and it being supported. As long as you never changed speed tiers or made a change before the new policy kicked in. You are free to use your own. I also found out when Charter told me my new price would be $109.99 for Ultra. It is actually $102.99 since I never made a change to my internet and only canceled the phone. That modem rental is in the pricing as you can see a $7.00 difference IF you make a change. Example my modem dies and I don't have the money to replace it. Then went to Charter for a modem. They would bump me to the new pricing structure $109.99 Prices vary area to area btw. This is just for mine.

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.
Hardware Version: 7.0
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Firmware Build Time: Apr 17 2012 15:09:37

said by passerby:

You very well could have the latest version approved for use on Charter's network. If you're not experiencing service issues, don't worry about it.

Expand your moderator at work

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Gmurph1818

Re: anyone having any luck getting firmware updated on owned modem?

Why do you even want to change the firmware? Unless you are having a specific issue, and the new version corrects that specific issue, there is no reason to even change it.

Charter hasn't allowed customers to update their own firmware in quite awhile. And if you did, they would push their standard approved firmware and overwrite the changes.

Having said that, if they aren't checking any longer, then you should be able to use any version you choose. Which may or may not work, work any better, or solve whatever problem you are having. The firmware used to be available on their (ie: Motorola) website, but I haven't checked in awhile.
--
Google is your Friend

Gmurph1818

join:2013-06-14

Oh ok I didn't realize they havnt been doing this for a while now. Charter is what's available to me in my area I don't have a choice. I wanted the upgrade so I can utilize the 8 channel bonding. Does the 8 channels make that big of a difference? Are most people switching to charter owned modems??

Anon7906

join:2011-12-14
Opelousas, LA
reply to Gmurph1818

What is it even supposed to be? Mine is:

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 7.0
Firmware Build Time: Mar 12 2013 17:48:19

passerby

Monroe, MI
reply to Dogg

said by Dogg:

Charter hasn't allowed customers to update their own firmware in quite awhile. And if you did, they would push their standard approved firmware and overwrite the changes.

Have they ever? If so, it hasn't been for nearly a decade, nor have the firmware images been available to consumers.

passerby

Monroe, MI
reply to Gmurph1818

said by Gmurph1818:

Oh ok I didn't realize they havnt been doing this for a while now. Charter is what's available to me in my area I don't have a choice. I wanted the upgrade so I can utilize the 8 channel bonding. Does the 8 channels make that big of a difference? Are most people switching to charter owned modems??

Is 8-channel bonding even available in your area yet? If not, they probably won't proactively push the firmware necessary for it until it is launched.

Even if 8-channel bonding has launched in your area already, you'll likely see no benefit (unless the capacity was reached/exceeded with 4 channels) as Charter doesn't offer speeds above what 4-channel is capable of.

JTY

join:2004-05-29
Ellensburg, WA
reply to Gmurph1818

You could have the latest version approved for your modem model in your area. FWIW, I just replaced my owned DCM475 modem with an owned SB6121 on Friday. Early this morning, their system pushed the firmware update out automatically.

fredbisard

@charter.com
reply to Anon

said by 88615298:

Also I'll add if you hate the CEO and company so much why are you doing business with them? That's a legit question. I've always dislike Apple and Steve Jobs and their policies/business practices thus I have never owned an Apple product. I don't say I dislike Apple then give them my money.

i've been a lurker here for something like 10 years or so and i've seen you use that line about doing business with them so many times it's not funny. can't you think of something some what like original?

being as you know charter so well i'm positive you know they're the only game in town for many of us. when you have no choice, there is no choice, period. never said i didn't like the connection stability, etc. just don't like what the ceo has been doing.

""You do realize when you could own your own modem you could upgrade it them either. Charter still did that"

the reason i asked what does this mean is because you should've said you COULDN'T upgrade them either, which we all know. otherwise, your sentence made no sense.

as far as twc raising their modem rental fee's, what does that have to with the discussion we're having about owning and updating your own modem? if i own my own modem, obviously i don't give a crap about modem rentals being raised, so that is not even relevant!

boxfetish

@charter.com

So, I keep seeing that Charter doesn't support customer owned modems as of the summer of 2012. I have my own and have been using it since 2010, and, yes, I have changed my service in the past year and I am still using it. I think they still must allow it, just not "support" it.

passerby

Monroe, MI

If you moved to the new pricing and you were allowed to keep using your modem, then someone possibly looked the other way or wasn't paying attention.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
reply to boxfetish

said by boxfetish :

So, I keep seeing that Charter doesn't support customer owned modems as of the summer of 2012. I have my own and have been using it since 2010, and, yes, I have changed my service in the past year and I am still using it. I think they still must allow it, just not "support" it.

To passerby's point, what do you mean by "changed my service"?

boxfetish

@charter.com

I mean that I upgraded from their 12mb service to their 30mb service.

haggelz

join:2010-07-04
Glendale, CA
reply to boxfetish

said by boxfetish :

So, I keep seeing that Charter doesn't support customer owned modems as of the summer of 2012. I have my own and have been using it since 2010, and, yes, I have changed my service in the past year and I am still using it.

I also did this a month ago. I upgraded from my 15 meg package to 30 meg when I spoke to retentions, which they offered me at 39.99 for 12 months. They didn't even mention upgrading my modem or anything.

Premium
join:2012-06-11
reply to fredbisard

said by fredbisard :

Let's name this arrogant, and self important clown....

his name is Tom Rutledge the former CEO of CableVision and this clown lives the HIGH LIFE....during his time at CableVision he had a company HELICOPTER that flew him daily from his
mansion in Connecticut to his office in NYC....

Now this recently....

Taxpayers Fund Charter Cable's Corporate Welfare Move to ...
stopthecap.com/2012/10/10/taxpayers-fund-charter-cables...

Charter Communications' new CEO Thomas Rutledge loves Connecticut so much, he is moving the company's executive headquarters to a new facility in Stamford,CT

Premium
join:2012-06-11

1 edit

CAN YOU SAY "DUOPOLY"???

LOL.....

Where else can consumers go for service in this
RIGGED FAKE market? ATT!!??

That is trading one set of crooks for another. Each equally bad and in many ways the same.

passerby

Monroe, MI
reply to 15444104

said by 15444104:

said by fredbisard :

Let's name this arrogant, and self important clown....

his name is Tom Rutledge the former CEO of CableVision and this clown lives the HIGH LIFE....during his time at CableVision he had a company HELICOPTER that flew him daily from his
mansion in Connecticut to his office in NYC....

Now this recently....

Taxpayers Fund Charter Cable's Corporate Welfare Move to ...
stopthecap.com/2012/10/10/taxpayers-fund-charter-cables...

Charter Communications' new CEO Thomas Rutledge loves Connecticut so much, he is moving the company's executive headquarters to a new facility in Stamford,CT

I believe he was the COO, not CEO at Cablevision.